Thank god the Wii U didn't ban used games or Wii games

#41ThePCElitistPosted 5/23/2013 6:16:18 AM
Paulf001 posted...
Both systems went from Power PC based cpu architecture to x86. Which is the reason for no backwards compatibility. Its not really a big deal because your old systems don't go away when you buy a new one.

Except modern disk based consoles have absolutely terrible life spans compared to more classic hardware. Your lack of foresight makes any and all counter-arguments about BC moot.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx6_MWVHZ4g
i5-2500k Hyper212+ @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock z77 extreme4, 16 GB DDR3 RipJaws X, MSI GTX 680 2GB Lightning
#42Ryan SiPosted 5/23/2013 6:33:38 AM
Backwards compatibility was never a staple of next-gen consoles and people became spoiled with the PS2 feature. Most people don't even use the feature.

As far as used games go...I couldn't possibly care any less. I don't buy used games. Why would I want to get ripped off for some beat-to-s*** disc in a beat-to-s*** case (with no manual) from GameStop?

If the new price is too high, I'll just wait a few months till it comes down and buy new. I have a huge backlog across multiple systems and a life outside of playing games, I don't have to play the newest game as soon as it comes out. It boggles my mind sometimes.
---
Best of Gen: Portal 2, Xenoblade, Bit. Trip Runner 2
Anticipating: GTAV, FFX HD, Madden 25
#43psprulz2007Posted 5/23/2013 6:42:07 AM
Sharky8 posted...
Thank god I can play Wii games on my Wii U. Thank god I can buy a used Wii U game and play it on my Wii U.

Is Microsoft serious? It can't play 360 games? No backwards compatibility!
Is Sony serious? It can't play PS3 games? No backwards compatibility!

But this takes the motherhugging cake, is Microsoft serious! I can't play used games unless the person pays a fee for the game? You buy a game, it installs on your computer and registers the serial number to your account. You want to donate the game to Goodwill or sell it to a gamestore. Little Johnny goes into Goodwill or Gamestop, buys the used game, wants to play it on his XBox One but he can't! He can't unless he pays for it. MICROSOFT HAS KILLED USED GAMES.

And Sony has left the door open for third party developers to do the same with their discs. Although, reportedly, Sony will NOT do this with their games.

You cannot count Sony completely into this as far as no BC. Simply put the PS4 cant play PS3 disks. But this thing call Gaikai that sony owns, that could be their meal ticket to BC. You wont be able to pop in your ps3 disk but you could still play ps3/ps2/ps1 games on the PS4. Sadly however this means any games you currently own is useless.
---
PSN(ps3+Vita)+GT= FeelinKorny
#44ukokira1Posted 5/23/2013 7:12:00 AM
Sony had a reason. Very very different architecture and adding in BC would have skyrocketed the price. Microsoft has nothing.
---
Look at you, soaring through the air like an bird... Piloting a blimp.