The Gamepad is the best thing to ever happen to video games (for me)

#1MilesTeg420Posted 5/23/2013 6:07:32 AM
If you are like me (and I suspect many are) when I play competitive video games, I like to be at the edge of my seat, sitting up for maximum focus. I don't feel right when I'm playing unless I'm sitting up, with the TV directly in front of me. Basically getting in the zone. This can be very uncomfortable, especially after a long period of time.

With the Gamepad, the screen is right in your face. No longer do I need to sit up and focus in front of the TV. Instead of this, I'm kicking back on the couch, completely comfortable, but also completely focused and in the zone.

This is just awesome. I encourage anyone that plays games like myself to look into Wii U. I try not to use my 42in 1080p TV at this point. It's just so much more comfortable to lay back on the couch or even in bed. Despite the low resolution, the DPI on the Gamepad is good. I don't feel like I'm being shortchanged by using this screen instead. It doesn't look much different than 720p or 1080p for some reason. If you are on the fence about this system, the quality of the screen is not an issue.
#2FlutterDash2013Posted 5/23/2013 6:11:40 AM
Wait... what Wii U games are you playing competitively? Seems like most of the audience would be casual, so even if there was a competitive multiplayer game for the Wii U (there isn't), you'd probably be playing against a lot of chumps.

Also, do you realize the Gamepad screen is sub-HD?
#3lifelackPosted 5/23/2013 6:13:10 AM
Yep. I'm playing a lot since I got that little black box.
I love the gamepad!
I don't understand why or how the screen on the pad look so good! I don't feel like I'm looking at low res at all.
#4trenkenPosted 5/23/2013 6:14:03 AM
I guess Im finding it a little underwhelming because I own a 3DS. This is kind of the same thing as that, except on a larger scale, with the top screen of the DS being my TV.

The off screen play is nice, but I havent yet played any games with any real interesting connection between the gamepad screen and the TV. More just some gimmicks like in Nintendoland which didnt do anything for me.

Im waiting to see what Nintendo does with their heavy hitter games, to see if they actually make real interesting use of it, rather than just maps and menu items.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#5Darkside_ShadowPosted 5/23/2013 6:14:16 AM
I like watching movies on it

I have all kinds off displays, 55" TV, Ipad, laptop, iMac etc. But for some reason I really enjoy watching movies and Netflix on the Gamepad.

Its weird.
#6MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 6:14:28 AM
FlutterDash2013 posted...
Wait... what Wii U games are you playing competitively? Seems like most of the audience would be casual, so even if there was a competitive multiplayer game for the Wii U (there isn't), you'd probably be playing against a lot of chumps.

Rayman Legends Challenge app and Black Ops 2. These are pretty much the only games I've been playing recently. I have Most Wanted (racing games also fall under the "zone" category for me) but I just don't really like the game. Haven't played it much.
#7georgethecow4Posted 5/23/2013 6:15:19 AM
Game and Wario seems to be the showcase for the Gamepad. Pretty excited for it, thankfully it's budget priced!
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
3DS FC: 3136-6598-7067 Name: Andrew
#8trenkenPosted 5/23/2013 6:17:53 AM(edited)
lifelack posted...
Yep. I'm playing a lot since I got that little black box.
I love the gamepad!
I don't understand why or how the screen on the pad look so good! I don't feel like I'm looking at low res at all.

I dont know if low res is a fair word. Low res implies youre looking at something pretty pixelated on a screen too big for whats being displayed. It looks fine for what it is.

One thing its not though is the Vita screen. I also own a Vita and the screen on that thing is something to behold. Its a retina screen, so games on it just look incredible, without a doubt far beyond the gamepad. They dont even compare. Of course the Vita is suffering from the same thing the U is, low sales due to lack of games. The Vita actually does have some great exclusives, but not enough, and not enough high profile ones.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#9MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 6:33:16 AM
trenken posted...
I guess Im finding it a little underwhelming because I own a 3DS. This is kind of the same thing as that, except on a larger scale, with the top screen of the DS being my TV.

The off screen play is nice, but I havent yet played any games with any real interesting connection between the gamepad screen and the TV. More just some gimmicks like in Nintendoland which didnt do anything for me.

Im waiting to see what Nintendo does with their heavy hitter games, to see if they actually make real interesting use of it, rather than just maps and menu items.

I also have a 3DS and an XL. But what I'm saying is that for console games that I would normally have to sit up, right in the middle of the viewing area, I don't have to anymore.

At least one game you can guarantee will be good online is Mario Kart. The Wii version still has people playing. I hope Smash is good (this is the real improvement Smash needs - online as good as street fighter) but I won't hold my breath after Brawl.
#10DTY3Posted 5/23/2013 6:43:47 AM
FlutterDash2013 posted...

Tekken isn't competitive? Huh? Black Ops 2? Wha? Injustice? Guh?

If you don't know about a system's library, then try not to comment about its strength.

Also don't underestimate Wiimote players in FPS. They WILL wreck your ****. The only thing more accurate is Mouse and Keyboard.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.