The Gamepad is the best thing to ever happen to video games (for me)

#11Waggy17Posted 5/23/2013 7:44:58 AM
FlutterDash2013 posted...
Wait... what Wii U games are you playing competitively? Seems like most of the audience would be casual, so even if there was a competitive multiplayer game for the Wii U (there isn't), you'd probably be playing against a lot of chumps.

Also, do you realize the Gamepad screen is sub-HD?

Black Ops II says hi.
---
PSN/NNID - Waggy777
http://www.youtube.com/user/waggystg
#12NarutoPosted 5/23/2013 7:51:34 AM
trenken posted...
I dont know if low res is a fair word. Low res implies youre looking at something pretty pixelated on a screen too big for whats being displayed. It looks fine for what it is.

Low-res is the correct. The uPad's 6" screen displays a mere 854x480.
#13genlockPosted 5/23/2013 7:54:06 AM
It would be interesting to see how many people who like off-screen play or watching movies on the gamepad are people who have never owned a tablet. That might explain why the low resolution is not bothering folks - they are attracted to what is, for them, a novel functionality.
---
Are we not drawn onward, we few? Drawn onward to new era?
#14Brady672_AT_fanPosted 5/23/2013 8:20:04 AM
Local co-op is great on the WiiU, no more obnoxious split screen!

I remember playing Warriors Orochi 3 with my brother and we had a blast.
---
I'm not Superman, that's for sure. And I'm not Batman or Spiderman or Aquaman or a wolfman or a merman. I'm not brahman or common or ramen, either.
#15Darkside_ShadowPosted 5/23/2013 8:26:29 AM(edited)
genlock posted...
It would be interesting to see how many people who like off-screen play or watching movies on the gamepad are people who have never owned a tablet. That might explain why the low resolution is not bothering folks - they are attracted to what is, for them, a novel functionality.

I dont think so.
I have an iMac with 2560x1440 resolution and the Gamepad still looks fine to me.
I also have an Ipad 2 so not retina and that looks good for games but text is a little blurred.

I have complained a lot about the Wii U in general but the Gamepad screen is still good imo.
#16TerotrousPosted 5/23/2013 8:28:07 AM
genlock posted...

It's not really "novel", the concept of playing games on their own screen has existed since Gameboy (or even Game and Watch if you want to go back that far).

What sets Wii U apart though is that there are usually certain tradeoffs associated with portable games, like the fact that their budgets usually can't match consoles and that you can't easily play local multiplayer. The Wii U doesn't share these drawbacks because it also functions as a console.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Hi no Tori"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#17genlockPosted 5/23/2013 8:59:12 AM
I agree it's not novel. I'm just theorizing the attraction it holds for some people. I don't really find the gamepad interesting, but I have done a lot of work with tablets as interfaces for other devices.

And it's not related t the WiiU as a whole. Some people are attracted to interfacing with the gamepad screen, and it's interesting because, as you say, it is neither novel nor high res. So I'm just speculating.
---
Are we not drawn onward, we few? Drawn onward to new era?