How well do VC games emulate on the Wii U?

#1HakuMan111386Posted 5/23/2013 3:14:41 PM
Also, I am curious. Can you pick and choose which VC games to transfer over to Wii U? For example, I'd rather play SSB64 on Wii because of the GCN controller compatibility (my Wii is an old one). I'd rather not transfer over Super Smash Bros. (64) because of the controller. Can I eliminate it from being transferred over to a Wii U? Also, how well do VC games emulate on Wii U? I've read that there are some problems with game emulation.
---
Name: ANTJF Brawl Friend Code: 3093-6768-2145
PSN: Scorpion1386
#2NinfinishedPosted 5/23/2013 3:17:01 PM
HakuMan111386 posted...
Also, I am curious. Can you pick and choose which VC games to transfer over to Wii U? For example, I'd rather play SSB64 on Wii because of the GCN controller compatibility (my Wii is an old one). I'd rather not transfer over Super Smash Bros. (64) because of the controller. Can I eliminate it from being transferred over to a Wii U? Also, how well do VC games emulate on Wii U? I've read that there are some problems with game emulation.

Awful black borders= no buy
#3Shadowbird_RHPosted 5/23/2013 3:17:51 PM
I've never run into any issues with Virtual Console games on Wii, Wii U, or 3DS, and I've heard of nothing but flawless performance of VC games. As for transferring, there's no option to pick and choose which goes and which stays. It's an all or nothing deal.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#4Baha05Posted 5/23/2013 3:18:33 PM
HakuMan111386 posted...

Pretty sure everything gets transferred with no options.

All transfered Wii VC stays in a separate menu called "Wii Mode" which wen selected puts you on sort of an emulator of the old Wii Menu. Wii VC games don't use Wii U functions, it'll play as if you are on the Wii itself.

Sooner or later all the games from the Wii VC will be on the Wii U allowing for both Game Pad and Pro Controller use.

The gaes have pretty much no issue outside each games own issues. They are emulated to play as if they did we released so some games have slow down and I assume all glitches still exists.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#5HakuMan111386(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 3:21:12 PM
Baha05 posted...
HakuMan111386 posted...

Pretty sure everything gets transferred with no options.

All transfered Wii VC stays in a separate menu called "Wii Mode" which wen selected puts you on sort of an emulator of the old Wii Menu. Wii VC games don't use Wii U functions, it'll play as if you are on the Wii itself.

Sooner or later all the games from the Wii VC will be on the Wii U allowing for both Game Pad and Pro Controller use.

The gaes have pretty much no issue outside each games own issues. They are emulated to play as if they did we released so some games have slow down and I assume all glitches still exists.

That's so stupid. So I have to transfer my games from Wii U over to Wii with no selection? Dumb. I'd rather play Smash 64 with a GCN controller. Why are they re-releasing VC games when they are already on Wii?
---
Name: ANTJF Brawl Friend Code: 3093-6768-2145
PSN: Scorpion1386
#6Baha05Posted 5/23/2013 3:23:06 PM
HakuMan111386 posted...
That's so stupid. So I have to transfer my games from Wii U over to Wii with no selection? Dumb. I'd rather play Smash 64 with a GCN controller. Why are they re-releasing VC games when they are already on Wii?

Like I said I don't know if there is an option, there might have been one but honestly I didn't care and didn't have a whole lot on my Wii.

Also Wii VC don't exactly play on the Wii U using the Wii U features. So they are giving updated versions of the emulators.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#7Nerreltron9000Posted 5/23/2013 7:55:38 PM
The games have some occasional frame rate issues (at least, Super Mario World does) but otherwise the emulation is fantastic. I think Wii U is the very best way to play old games that there's been yet.

The games are emulated at a higher resolution than on Wii and they look great in HD, just as good as what a PC emulator is capable of.

There is a black border around the screen, but I don't really see why this is a problem to anyone. There will always be black borders on the sides because the content is 4:3, it's something you just have to deal with.

The control options are also great. Being able to button map with any of the Wii U compatible controllers lets you come up with any controls scheme you want, really. I was able to map a lot of controls to the triggers for Super Metroid and it helped simplify things a lot.

And then you've got Miiverse, which may be at its very best with VC games, gamepad only play, and restore points. Snes9x and ZSNES may be able to match the image quality and control options, but they don't offer those features (they technically have savestates, but it's nowhere near as straightforward as restore points).
#8NejiHyuga900Posted 5/23/2013 8:02:15 PM
It's good but I had frame rate issues and side-scrolling graphical issues when I played Kirby's Adventure on my Wii U.
---
Xbox/Windows LIVE Gamertag & Nintendo Network ID: TDPNeji | Steam ID: NejiHyuga900
I am a thunder dragon. Hear me roar thunder and breath out lightning!
#9TannerCKGPosted 5/23/2013 8:24:33 PM
The screen is boxed in on the Wii U instead of widescreen when you play in Wii mode
---
"Times are gone for honest men and sometimes far too long for snakes"
#10Shiggy_MiyamotoPosted 5/23/2013 11:24:32 PM
NejiHyuga900 posted...
It's good but I had frame rate issues and side-scrolling graphical issues when I played Kirby's Adventure on my Wii U.

It's supposed to be like that. That's how games were back in the day. The Wii u emulates the games without prettying them up at all so you get the authentic experience.
---
Yeah I made Mario. You might have heard of it.