So I still have a Wii... Is WiiU a good upgrade?

#1Silva-RequiemPosted 5/24/2013 5:48:56 PM
I'm planning to upgrade my Wii, but I'm still not sure yet...
Inevitably, my slew of Zelda and Sonic games will make their way onto the WiiU, but I'm wondering, how does the WiiU play? I'd especially love to hear from other past Wii owners how the transition felt... Would you recommend? Thanks :)
---
Never fear the fall... 3DS Friendcode: 0860-4683-4585
#2UltimaSora91Posted 5/24/2013 6:13:34 PM
Silva-Requiem posted...
I'm planning to upgrade my Wii, but I'm still not sure yet...
Inevitably, my slew of Zelda and Sonic games will make their way onto the WiiU, but I'm wondering, how does the WiiU play? I'd especially love to hear from other past Wii owners how the transition felt... Would you recommend? Thanks :)

It feels great to play on it. The feels just right in your hands. At first when you look at the screen of the GP, you think it's small. However, as you play it soaks you in and you feel great! Along with this, you can play with the Gamepad only and watch TV at the same time. That's the best feature in my book! No more arguing with someone else about using the TV. You can even control your TV and satellite/cable with the GP. Heck, you can play without a TV connected!

I own a Wii and the transition of moving my games and save data was great. Granted, the more games and data you have to transfer the longer the process, but once you move it over, boom, it's like your still playing the Wii. I recommend it.
---
On July 29th, 2012 at 1:56 am, almost two years after the launch of BBS, I defeated Mysterious Figure with Terra!
3DS: 4768-7461-8649
#3mmarksterPosted 5/24/2013 6:24:42 PM
Since the Wii U can play your Wii games and your download library, it's a nice upgrade.
---
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1032 - 1243 - 4711 Name/NNID/XBLGT/PSNID: mmarkster
Kingdom Hearts with Nintendo Universe = win!
#4WalkiethrougiePosted 5/24/2013 6:36:28 PM
Amazing transition! All of the features are GREAT additions and most games still have the good ol' Nintendo feel. Plus the upcoming slew of games are approaching, NOW WE WAIT! :3
---
2013 - Year of WeeGee
#5SamStone22Posted 5/24/2013 6:40:16 PM
Don't listen to the blind fanboys who don't even want to be critical of a company that they love. As of now it's not a good idea to upgrade. The Wii U has very few games at the moment and even fewer exclusives. Wait and see what's on the horizon.
---
I make a topic in Final Fantasy 12 to ask if Tifa! They said no Tifa. Hardness gone!-gandob
#6mmarksterPosted 5/25/2013 5:17:58 PM
SamStone22 posted...
Don't listen to the blind fanboys who don't even want to be critical of a company that they love. As of now it's not a good idea to upgrade. The Wii U has very few games at the moment and even fewer exclusives. Wait and see what's on the horizon.

But the fact that the Wii U can play Wii games and transfer your download library to the Wii U, means you don't really lose anything.
---
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1032 - 1243 - 4711 Name/NNID/XBLGT/PSNID: mmarkster
Kingdom Hearts with Nintendo Universe = win!
#7deathwave21Posted 5/25/2013 5:24:53 PM
But the fact that the Wii U can play Wii games and transfer your download library to the Wii U, means you don't really lose anything.

This
---
Do you want to go to college for free? Go Marines!
#8zatOMGPosted 5/25/2013 5:27:16 PM
SamStone22 posted...

So they are blind fanboys? k, dude...

Don't listen to people who name call (unless its me!). Listen to people who gave you careful explanation of their transition,as I'm sure you will!

I really loved the Wii, never played the Wii stuff on Wii U though. Kept my Wii. Therefore no transition. I do enjoy the U, just waiting for a Mario or Zelda to make me froth.

I say, if you are strapped for cash, wait on it.
#9MisterEightPosted 5/26/2013 10:09:34 AM
This is going to depend a lot on you. And please, read my whole post, I'm going to cover both what I don't like as well as like.

Personally, I don't care for the game-pad. You have two types of games: those that use the gamepad to "enhance" gameplay and those that use the gamepad for maps and inventory.

I (so far) despise the games that use the gamepad for more "immersive" gameplay. It either forces you to look from the TV to gamepad multiple times or to hold up the gamepad to the TV screen so you can see both. Glancing back and forth, to me, creates a disconnect that I find annoying. I don't want to take my eyes away from the action constantly in order to punch in a freaking code or manage some stupid rope cutting thing on the pad.

You can get around this by simply holding up the pad to the TV--the pad is extremely light-- but it's not a very comfortable position for the arms the way my living room is set up. I'm going to presume most people do NOT have this issue, but you may want to take it into consideration in case you have a weird set up like me(I have a pool table in the center of our game room, so the couch is tilted so it doesn't directly face the TV).
In contrast, inventory/map management, while not very innovative, works perfectly fine and something I consider extremely convenient.

I think they were trying to replicate the success of the DS for consoles; but they failed to take into account the key fact that both screens of the DS are always on the same plain of vision so you don't have to do the whole glancing between two screens things. With the WiiU, that's most definitely not the case.

That being said, I still think it's a pretty safe buy. $300 isn't that expensive for a console, and Nintendo has a strong reputation for delivering first party titles that are usually, though not always (SS T_T) pretty good. Even though I'm not a big fan of the Game-pad, and even though it actually detracts from the experience slightly from me due to my quirky room layout, the detraction isn't enough that I would consider it console breaking.
While I have confidence for Nintendo to eventually deliver on the games, they arenít there yet. So if you absolutely love your Wii and itís breaking down, Iíd say go for it. You can simply play your Wii game you already love on the new system. If not, Iíd wait it out for a bit longer. While the game library should eventually reach the point where itís worth the system buy, itís just not there yet, so I donít see the need to jump the gun.

TL;DR
WiiU is a ok to good game system, but the future game library makes it a safe buy IMO. Iíd wait till said game library is actually built up though.
#10biggy204Posted 5/26/2013 10:23:52 AM
deathwave21 posted...

This

But what if people also have a backlog of Gamecube games.... Cant play those on the Wii U.
---
"Do you smelllllllllllllllllllllll what The Rock Is Cookin" - the Rock
"No but who farted??" - Everyone else