So I still have a Wii... Is WiiU a good upgrade?

#11diggyfreshPosted 5/26/2013 11:27:01 AM
Go for it. You won't be disappointed.
---
CURRENTLY PLAYING:: LEGO City Undercover
PROGRESS:: About 3 hrs. into the game @ 3%.
#12DBPanterAPosted 5/26/2013 11:32:25 AM
As a DS to 3DS and now Wii to Wii U owner, the transition of actually moving over the information was pretty much identical. I still use the Wii U to play some Wii games, but the whole point of a new system is to play the new games. However, we are in the middle of a drought and there is not a whole lot on the horizon.

I actually enjoy the gamepad. The reason being is as mentioned above, if used in conjunction with the TV, it frees up the TV of all the clutter along the edges and puts that info on the gamepad.

A major selling point for gamers that share a TV with a sibling, a significant other, or their own kids is the gamepad itself. It allows you to play games while someone else uses the TV. I have many friends who use the gamepad while their significant other watches TV or even plays a different console.

I feel it is a good upgrade, but as of today unless you are a diehard Nintendo fan, there is no reason to pick it up. Until Sony and Microsoft announce their next console prices, you won't see a price drop in the Wii U, if at all. Yes, all these games are in development, but we have no official dates for these titles besides Pikmin 3, hardly a console mover.

The one bright spot in this is the VC and eShop. Now, if you do not have a way to purchase items digitally, it doesn't have the appeal. However, I have purchased a ton of stuff off the eShop and have purchased Nintendo franchises I never played in the past to keep me going until there is a retail game worth buying. . .
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#134estGumpPosted 5/26/2013 11:54:06 AM
biggy204 posted...
deathwave21 posted...
But the fact that the Wii U can play Wii games and transfer your download library to the Wii U, means you don't really lose anything.

This

But what if people also have a backlog of Gamecube games.... Cant play those on the Wii U.

Did the transfer, still keeping the Wii for Gamecube games. That simple. Rather have a WiiCube than a GameCube to play back catalog games, but that's just me.
---
PSN: asiathepug
NNID: lemoyce
#14tyrolzallPosted 5/26/2013 11:58:20 AM
Do you own a PS3 or 360? If so then its not really an upgrade.
#154estGumpPosted 5/26/2013 12:02:20 PM
tyrolzall posted...

Why are you starting stuff? He was asking if it is a good idea to upgrade from Wii to WiiU; PS3 and XBox aren't in the equation. If he has both, let him enjoy it. I have both and enjoy both.
---
PSN: asiathepug
NNID: lemoyce
#16Lefty128kPosted 5/26/2013 12:51:53 PM
Silva-Requiem posted...
I'm planning to upgrade my Wii, but I'm still not sure yet...
Inevitably, my slew of Zelda and Sonic games will make their way onto the WiiU, but I'm wondering, how does the WiiU play? I'd especially love to hear from other past Wii owners how the transition felt... Would you recommend? Thanks :)

Less than 3% of Wii owners adopted and bought a Wii U so far.

So it seems the answer is wait and save your money.
#17G1ingyPosted 5/26/2013 1:02:09 PM
If you have a massive backlog of Gamecube games, play them first then upgrade.

If you played all the Gamecube games already, upgrade. The Wii U is cheap, it plays all the Wii games, and it's just a superior console overall. The Wii U is a massive step up from the Wii. And despite what others with mental deficiencies would tell you, WiiU IS a massive leap ahead of all the current gen consoles.

Lefty128k posted...
Silva-Requiem posted...
Inevitably, my slew of Zelda and Sonic games will make their way onto the WiiU, but I'm wondering, how does the WiiU play? I'd especially love to hear from other past Wii owners how the transition felt... Would you recommend? Thanks :)

"80% of statistics are made up on the spot"
#18Banjo2553Posted 5/26/2013 1:04:20 PM
4estGump posted...
tyrolzall posted...

Why are you starting stuff? He was asking if it is a good idea to upgrade from Wii to WiiU; PS3 and XBox aren't in the equation. If he has both, let him enjoy it. I have both and enjoy both.

Take away the "Y" in his name and it makes more sense. It's why I don't respond to him seriously.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#19Lefty128kPosted 5/26/2013 1:07:37 PM
G1ingy posted...
If you have a massive backlog of Gamecube games, play them first then upgrade.

If you played all the Gamecube games already, upgrade. The Wii U is cheap, it plays all the Wii games, and it's just a superior console overall. The Wii U is a massive step up from the Wii. And despite what others with mental deficiencies would tell you, WiiU IS a massive leap ahead of all the current gen consoles.

Lefty128k posted...
Silva-Requiem posted...

"80% of statistics are made up on the spot"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/66259615

It's called numbers, you should try using them sometime.