So what IS good about this console?
- Topic Archived
- Page 1 of 2
Add user to Ignore List after reporting
3 years ago#1
Anything is better than an Xbox One and I still need more info on PS4, but I want to hear, from the fans, what is it about the Wii U that makes it worthwhile? So far, the only things that appeal to me are VC and MH3. Beyond that I practically know nothing.
In the name of Harman.
GT: Mr Classica GT: Will Smiths Cat
3 years ago#2
What I believe makes the WiiU a good system is the innovation it brings to the table. It feels great having an easily accessible inventory or map right next to you without filling the top screen, it allows for innovative multiplayer splitscreen experiences, and in some cases it can completely change how the game is played.
I would buy a PS4, but I don't see any great value in owning in because:
a: I don't like any sony exclusives.
b: I could buy a high end gaming PC for the same price.
If it added more then a simple internal hardware upgrade I think that I would probably see more interest in it.
I would highly recommend this system in a few months once some games come out.
3DS FC 4253-3597-1691
3 years ago#3
Some of the features around the gamepad and the potentials it can have on gameplay. One of my favorite features is off tv play, where it allows some games to be played directly off the gamepad itself.
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
3 years ago#4
Sony will be just as anti-consumer, and why people don't see this, is amazing.
They may not be spying with a Kinect device, but they will be blocking used sales for any 3rd party that wants it.
3 years ago#5
For the first party exclusives and playing off-tv. That's the only real advantages it has.
Nintendo Network ID: sselemanrm
3 years ago#6
From: Rolfin | Posted: 5/25/2013 1:19:29 PM | #001
Hey guys, I'm one of the refugees from the Microsoft encampment. It really sucks over at MS right now...
Yeah, I have been an Xbox and Xbox 360 fan and I am too disappointed at the
Cool/Good/Amazing things about this console:
- Backwards compatibility with Wii games (including Retails, Wii Virtual Console titles, and WiiWare).
- Virtual Console - Playing old, selective Nintendo games on the Wii U (the Virtual Console updates every week). The Wii U VC is a little bit low right now and only has NES and Super NES games. But Wii VC (which is available in the Wii Shop Channel in the Wii mode) has NES, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, Neo Geo, MSX (Japan only), Commodore 64, TurboGrafx-16, TurboGrafx-CD, and Virtual Console Arcade.
- Used games are playable (while the Xbox One is going to restrict that) and the maximum price for regular Wii U retail games are $60 (I think that there is a rumor that PS4 and XOne games' maximum price for regular games would be $70)
- Some of the Wii U retail games that are out (and are like a "must have") including Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Lego City Undercover, New Super Mario Bros. U (if you are new to the NSMB series and have played platforming Mario games in the past), Assassin's Creed III, Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition, Darksiders II, Nintendo Land (the Wii U Deluxe Set comes with this), ZombiU (well, there are good and bad things heard about this), Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, . If you are a Sonic the Hedgehog fan, Sega has allied themselves with Nintendo so it is possible that all future Sonic games may be Nintendo exclusive.
- Nintendo exclusives. Many games made by or published by Nintendo are good, great, or amazing. Nintendo is really good when it comes to exclusive, probably the best. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pokémon, a lot of those games are amazing (Zelda is my favorite video game franchise of all time which is why I still get Nintendo systems).
- Off-TV Play with the Wii U Gamepad. In every Wii U Virtual Console game and some Wii U retail titles, you can play the game on your Gamepad instead of the TV (making it like a handheld device and you can lay down and relax). Also, this is useful if you have someone in your house that wants to watch TV or play a different system on the same TV.
The only things that the Wii U gets a bit of hate are the low amount of Wii U games with low 3rd party support and the 7th gen-like specs (which is why some 3rd party developers are avoiding the Wii U, and I am sad about that). The Wii U isn't selling well (but it recently got a huge boost after the Xbox One Reveal failed) because people think it is an add-on to the Wii (Nintendo needs to advertise it better).
Xbox/Windows LIVE Gamertag & Nintendo Network ID: TDPNeji | Steam ID: NejiHyuga900
I am a thunder dragon. Hear me roar thunder and breath out lightning!
3 years ago#7
1. Full backwards compatibility with games from the previous console (eat it, Sony and Microsoft).
2. MiiVerse. Once Nintendo removes the jagged cinder block from is rectum and lightens the hell up with the delete/ban-happy moderators, MiiVerse will be amazing. I just wish the 100 character post limit were increased and each account had their own personal "community" to post whatever they want in, like a blog Facebook/Twitter that others can "follow" to stay up-to-date with things their friends are doing.
3. Wii TVii.
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 103/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984 | Wii U: Maxx_the_Slash
3 years ago#8
It should be noted that Off-TV play works with "most" Wii U retail games, not just some. There's only a couple that don't allow it, usually because they require you to look at both the gamepad and the TV screen at the same time.
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Hi no Tori"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
3 years ago#9
1) the controller is extremely comfortable to use
2) it's Nintendo hardware - so it's extremely durable and reliable. The OS is a huge mess though, so when people complain about slowness, more often than not they're complaining about a software issue. The 3DS had this same issue and it has been resolved. So don't be surprised by how slow the OS is, just know that it will get better (and already has gotten MUCH better since launch).
3) not just games, but controllers are backwards compatible. Don't buy the Pro controller unless you discover you actually need it. You will absolutely need wiimotes though.
4) online features are interesting, but more importantly FREE. No paywall to play games online. No paywall to use streaming applications. Free video chat that works well (but is currently too slow to start up - making it semi useless at the moment, but like most things, it has great potential). Youtube is amazing in the browser. The browser is leaps and bounds better than most people acknowledge, but it hasn't been fully utilized by developers yet (you can code games directly for it and access all the controller functions including Wiimotes).
5) there are no advertisements - Nintendo has largely emphasized the anonymity of the system. You can purchase download only games using their eShop cards and such, the system works without the camera being attached to it (i.e. gamepad can be dead but you can still play games), the extent of targeted ads is the WaraWara Plaza which simply suggests games for you to get and nothing more. By contrast, Microsoft went to various ad agencies across New York and pitched them on how the new Kinect can tell a user's mood and gender and how Microsoft intends to use that anonymously gathered info to more directly advertise to users. Their words were, "at the most opportune times" (i.e. it will throw up a food ad if it thinks you're hungry).
Honestly, the Wii U just has tons of potential but they are a little slow getting the OS up to speed. I'm also not worried about my privacy when I put the device in my home.
3 years ago#10
When it comes to the GamePad, most people say it won't be used for anything beyond maps and inventory management. While this has proven mostly true so far, there are a couple of games that I think should be mentioned with regard to this.
Inventory management: ZombiU
This game wouldn't have worked without the GamePad. While it's not the greatest game ever, not being able to pause to change weapon or find a healing item from your bag makes everything incredibly tense. You might think you're safe, but when you start looking through your bag, there's a chance something might creep up on you. It really adds to the atmosphere of the game - one of the things ZombiU did best.
Maps: Batman: Arkham City
I know the game came out months before on other consoles, and I know it's no better (worse?) graphically on Wii U than the others, not to mention more expensive. However, having played it in Off-Screen mode a couple of times, which I assume is the same experience as on PS3/360, the Wii U version is leagues better - simply for the map.
A game like that should be fast paced, and having to pause every three seconds to check your map really breaks up the flow of the game. On the Wii U, you just glance down at the screen in a split-second, and you know what you're doing without pausing. It's a minor detail, but it made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the game.
Overall, I'd say if you're not 100% on buying it yet, I'd hold out until at least the Nintendo Direct at the start of E3. There will be new games revealed, as well as trailers, gameplay and even release dates for a bunch of games that are coming soon. That way, you'll get a better idea of what you can expect on Wii U. Ultimately though, if you like Nintendo games, you'll more than likely enjoy what the Wii U will have to offer in the coming years.
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
|More topics from this board...|
|Any good deals on the console right now?||LooksLikeRain||5||6/27 12:35PM|
|Nin gets news console in 4.5 years, world is mad. Ps4 new console 3 years, A-OK!||awesomenintendo||308||6/24 7:16AM|
|Wii U the least friendly console out of the big three?||zerooo0||8||6/29 12:32AM|
|What's wrong with having a powerful Nintendo console?||YamiJustin||37||6/25 8:06PM|
|This console is f***ing impossible to sell.||DiegoSanchez206||95||6/25 2:58AM|