Are Nintendo's Franchises Really That Bad?

#1Bennett2428Posted 5/25/2013 8:21:27 PM
What's your take on Nintendo's most popular franchises? - Results (520 votes)
Fantastic. I always buy the newer releases as soon as I can
45% (234 votes)
Pretty good. It's nice to know these games are staples.
35.77% (186 votes)
They're fun but I don't need a new installment every console/handheld cycle
4.23% (22 votes)
Starting to get old. Come up with something new!
7.12% (37 votes)
I refuse to buy any more of these games. I can only play the same thing so much
6.35% (33 votes)
Other
1.54% (8 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Just want to know how you guys feel about Nintendo's most prominent franchises. For me, this is a bit more of a mixed bag than one particular answer, so feel free to say how you feel instead of vote if it's too tough to pick just one option.

It's pretty tough to deny that these franchises are great considering the amount of time they've been around. Mario, Zelda, and Metroid have been around nearly 30 years. If they were so boring and repetitive, I doubt there'd be so many entries into these series.

The reason I'm bringing this up is I've seen a lot of Nintendo hate stemming from the other boards, with one of the biggest complaints being that Nintendo won't come up with anything new. That's really understandable, but what would the reaction be like if the next Nintendo console or handheld featured no Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Starfox, Donkey Kong, Pokemon games?

Since the retro state of gaming, many other franchises across the other consoles have become cult classics to rival that of the Nintendo franchises, but I never see anyone commenting on how Microsoft needs to stop making Halo games or how Sony needs to stop making God of War games. Once a franchise breaches this point, it's something we all hope and expect to see in the future.

As of right now, how many people are hoping for God of War for the Vita or a 3D Mario game more in the actual Galaxy style rather than 3D Land on the 3DS? Halo on the Xbox One? We love these games and want more brought to the table. The problem seems to be that if you're seated at another table, you have all this resentment for the table you aren't at.

Can you honestly tell me that if Nintendo makes a Wii U successor and for some reason makes absolutely no Mario games for it, that'd be a good thing? You'd buy the console now because the biggest icon in gaming doesn't have a game on it? That sounds kind of odd to me.

What people don't seem to realize is the amount of testing Nintendo has done. All of the different ways to try out playing a game. Yes, they use their biggest players as guinea pigs for the gimmicks (Phantom Hourglass being pure touch screen and Skyward Sword trying to utilize motion controls to their fullest extent,) but it's actually a pretty smart move. I personally don't care for pure touch screen games at all but...dammit I want to play that Zelda game!

On the other hand, becoming so predictable that pretty much everyone in the world is going to know what games will be released on your console isn't too smart. That's why Sony tried to incorporate LittleBigPlanet and ModNation Racers into their exclusives, because Nintendo will always have Mairo and Mario Kart, no questions asked. Trying out different video gaming angles only in the form of hardware leaves your franchises open for rivalries since there isn't really much you can do to surprise us anymore.

But I digress. I leave this in the hands of you guys. How do you feel about the franchises that have all become synonymous with the name "Nintendo"? Can you ever get enough, are you sick of them, or somewhere in between?
---
Join me in my LP adventures
www.youtube.com/user/Ameranthene
#2LightHawKnightPosted 5/25/2013 8:34:01 PM
I love them, they are almost always something I can count on to be good. As they are a series that are well grounded and known. So each game after should be a lot like the previous games, so I know what I am expecting and know that I shall like it. Though they have been letting me down rather terribly for the Paper Mario series. Despised the last two games that came out. If I wanted something new, I would have picked another series. I like when series stay the same, it should be such.

There are a lot of trolls that complain about how a series/franchise gets stale and old, but give almost nothing to make it better, or just make it change for no apparent reason that would probably make it sell less. Best to ignore them.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#3Dustof_DryBonesPosted 5/25/2013 8:36:03 PM
Bennett2428 posted...
On the other hand, becoming so predictable that pretty much everyone in the world is going to know what games will be released on your console isn't too smart.

How is it not smart? People can expect to have quality titles when they purchase a new system. Isn't that a good thing?
---
Ahoy, matey!
#4OzzieArcanePosted 5/25/2013 8:36:26 PM
They're not bad, just as a mainly RPG player most of them don't interest me personally that much. Zelda is probably the best option for me out of what Nintendo offers (haven't had a chance to play Fire Emblem). That said it's not like Microsoft or Sony are known for first party RPGs either.
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com
#5RockD79Posted 5/25/2013 8:37:22 PM
Most of their franchises are legendary and will probably hit "Disney status" long before others from different companies. Some will agree and some will not.
---
Just Finished: Lego LOTR, Currently Playing: Sleeping Dogs, Lego Batman 2 Next up: Resident Evil: Revelations
#6iKhanicPosted 5/25/2013 8:39:19 PM
The argument that Nintendo doesn't do anything new is crap. The Rainfall trilogy was ALL new Nintendo owned IPs. The Wii series is also new, though the only game in it I've played and enjoyed is Wii Sports.

What about Pikmin? Or Golden Sun? Or Super Smash Bros.

What about all the franchises they revived like KI: Uprising, Punch Out: Wii, and Sin and Punishment: Star Successor.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#7iKhanicPosted 5/25/2013 8:45:33 PM
OzzieArcane posted...
They're not bad, just as a mainly RPG player most of them don't interest me personally that much. Zelda is probably the best option for me out of what Nintendo offers (haven't had a chance to play Fire Emblem). That said it's not like Microsoft or Sony are known for first party RPGs either.

Nintendo is huge on 1st party RPGs. It's probably their most common franchises

Here they are: Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, Paper Mario, Xenoblade, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#8AJ2412Posted 5/25/2013 8:48:13 PM
Starting to get old. Come up with something new!

Except for Metroid, since we don't get those too often...
---
"The people who hate on Vuvuzela's are the ones who cant play them." -EvilmetalUK
http://i.imgur.com/7iLBp.png By QTx314159 .
#9EndgamePosted 5/25/2013 8:52:00 PM
they used to be the best, but now they are hollow shells of their former selves

but let's make one thing perfectly clear: NINTENDO IS NOT THE ONLY ONE PUTTING OUT "MORE OF THE SAME"

it's about execution, not originality

Mega Man 9 for example, was "more of the same" of what we got with MM1-6, and we loved it for that
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#10OzzieArcanePosted 5/25/2013 8:54:47 PM
iKhanic posted...
OzzieArcane posted...

Nintendo is huge on 1st party RPGs. It's probably their most common franchises

Here they are: Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, Paper Mario, Xenoblade, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower.

Pokemon/Golden Sun are handheld only so those are no go for me. I already mentioned Fire Emblem. I did forget about Paper Mario and the others well we don't know if those will all be ongoing series.
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com