Why does it seem like Nintendo doesn't give a damn about Donkey Kong?

#1ImGanondorfLolPosted 5/25/2013 11:09:03 PM
When it's actually a good seller, sometimes even better than Zelda.
The Donkey Kong Country Trilogy was a million seller, especially the first one with 9+ million; that's more than Zelda ever sold.
Then on the N64 you had Donkey Kong 64 which also sold quite well. Well aware that the series sells well, they release a dumb spin-off on the gamecube that's played with a pair of drums, instead of a proper platformer. It takes several years for them to come to their senses and have Retro develop DKCR, which went on to sell 5 million +. Whenever there is a Zelda game we're always well aware there's another one in the works, for both the console and the handheld. But for Donkey Kong? Not a word. No word on a new DK game for the Wii U or the handheld, all they give us is a port of the Wii game on the 3DS. And they also mysteriously remove the DKC trilogy from the VC. What the hell is up with this? It also makes me angry that no interviewer ever even bothers to ask a Nintendo representative about the future of the series, and instead ask dumb things that we either already know or don't care about.
#2AhnoldDoodPosted 5/25/2013 11:10:20 PM
Yeah, I mean, they give him a bunch of game and recently a remake that they heavily advertise, but it still seems like they don't care about him!
#3ImGanondorfLol(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 11:13:40 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
Yeah, I mean, they give him a bunch of game and recently a remake that they heavily advertise, but it still seems like they don't care about him!

All we got for the past decade was DKCR, and its port. I wouldn't say that's a bunch of games.
#4DBPanterAPosted 5/25/2013 11:17:58 PM
Same reason why there has been no F-zero or Star Fox support: When an IP, such as Donkey Kong, does not sell well, the resources at Nintendo will be focused on IPs that sell well.

Think about the fact that Mario Kart Wii has sold more than 32 million copies globally, more than any other game or IP this past gen (no CoD did that across all platforms). At $50 a pop, that is some serious money for Nintendo.

Look, I enjoy many games, including Donkey Kong, but that's how it works in a nutshell.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#5AhnoldDoodPosted 5/25/2013 11:19:37 PM
ImGanondorfLol posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

All we got for the past decade was DKCR, and its port. I wouldn't say that's a bunch of games.

Jungle Beat, Donkey Konga, King of Swing, Mario vs. DK...
#6ImGanondorfLol(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 11:31:53 PM(edited)
DBPanterA posted...
Same reason why there has been no F-zero or Star Fox support: When an IP, such as Donkey Kong, does not sell well, the resources at Nintendo will be focused on IPs that sell well.

Donkey Kong DOES sell well, unlike those other series, which was the whole point of the topic if you actually read it..
#7ImGanondorfLol(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 11:33:12 PM(edited)
AhnoldDood posted...
ImGanondorfLol posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

Jungle Beat, Donkey Konga, King of Swing, Mario vs. DK...

I guess Zelda fans would be okay if we went 10 years with the only Zelda games being spin-offs like tingle's rosy rupeland and tetra's trackers. You're kidding yourself if you think Donkey Kong fans would actually want those games rather than a proper Donkey Kong game.

And most of those games were from 10 years ago, so my point still stands.
#8Nath1343Posted 5/25/2013 11:50:05 PM
I wish we had more DKC too.

After the perfection which was the first 3 games, I wasn't the biggest fan of DKCR but it was still solid and I would like more :)
---
PSN: nath1343
Favourite games: Golden Sun, Xenoblade, Final Fantasy XII, inFamous, Bioshock, DKC3, Pokemon FR, Uncharted 3, Ni no Kuni, Brawl, Mario Kart Wii
#9wolf950Posted 5/25/2013 11:50:26 PM
I would say just use the fact that they made DKCR and decided to port it. It tells us that the game is doing well enough that they think they can make a crazy amount of money by expanding it into their handheld market.

So by seeing how DK is doing well right now I would speculate that there will be more DK games coming soon. More than likely we will get a new DKC or some other similar DK related game for the Wii U in a year or so.

For all we know one could be announced at E3 for later this year, but I feel you can rest assured that there will be one for the Wii U sooner or later. For sure it will be sooner than the long wait like last time.
---
It seems that the old gardener has finally died.
Thus was Konami's wish. Let us all mourn the death of one who stood in the meta for so long.
#10nintend0Fan46Posted 5/26/2013 12:05:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnxGlw3Sq_s
---
FGoAT Abbreviated: OoT, LttP, MM, EB, TF2, DE:HR, SSBB, SMG2, CoH, KNiD, SMW2:YI, P2, MK:DD, PW:AA, SC:CT, BK, L4D2, MP5, KI:U, MPT, 007:EoN, SC2, PM:TTYD...