Is it safe to do the Wii transfer later on?

#1SocranPosted 5/28/2013 6:33:47 PM
That is to say, if I play some games and/or buy things from the eShop on my Wii U's Wii Mode, then do the transfer from my Wii after the fact, it won't "overwrite" my Wii U's stuff with my old Wii's stuff, right? I've been on this board since launch and haven't heard any mention of it, so it's probably safe (people would be trolling about it otherwise), but I'd still rather be sure first. I didn't feel like doing the transfer when I bought it, but I do plan on using it to play some Wii games that I haven't played yet.

On that note, which would you recommend I get to tide me over until E3? Nintendo Selects Pikmin 2 (the Wii port), or Sonic Colors?
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#2Kart_KrazyPosted 5/28/2013 7:08:43 PM
You'll definitely overwrite "new Wii stuff", but never replace anything on the Wii U.
(Say, you make a new Brawl file on the Wii U, with most characters locked. Then you do the transfer. Your old Wii's Brawl file will overwrite the "new" Brawl file that has nothing unlocked.)

I'm biased since I've never played Colors, but Pikmin 2 was an absolute beauty to play with, especially with Wii controls. (Too bad about Totaka's song not reappearing though.)
---
3DS FC: 5284-1428-8156 (Sammy); Nintendo ID: YearOfTheWooster
Play me! Luigi's Mansion (100%'d except multiplayer) and Kid Icarus! (I play a mean bear claws.)
#3Socran(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2013 7:12:04 PM(edited)
Even if it's a seperate game? Like, say I never played Pikmin 2 on my old Wii, but I played it on my Wii U. It would delete my Pikmin 2 save altogether, as if it was reformatting the system? And if I buy a Wii VC game (not that I plan to), it would delete that as well as the license?
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#4AShockCipherPosted 5/28/2013 7:17:27 PM
I believe you can pick what you transfer if I remember correctly.
I do know there are a lot of confirmation screens.
---
MFW I passed SS
http://aftershockcipher.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps#/d4hajdo
#5picanoPosted 5/28/2013 7:22:44 PM
You cannot pick what you transfer but it will merge Wii and vWii contents, taking the Wii stuff when there is a conflict.

Official FAQ:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_system_transfer.jsp?menu=general_info&submenu=wup-settings-gi-data-system-transfer
---
Shadow Kirby 3: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNj-HmieoMk&fmt=22 Watch!
http://picanogfx.unotaku.com 3D Art and Catgirls!
#6Sprinkles32Posted 5/28/2013 7:34:09 PM
All of my Wii mode save files on my Wii U that were not on my old Wii before doing the transfer were still there after the transfer. I didn't have any duplicate game saves. As mentioned above, those that are files of the same game would've been replaced with the old file from the Wii.

I didn't have any Wii mode VC or Wiiware on my Wii U to personally say that it works. But I did call Nintendo to ask about transferring 2 Wii consoles to the Wii U and was told that it will keep the first Wii transfer VC and Wiiware files on the Wii U if I transfer the second Wii, providing there aren't duplicate games. With the Wii game saves working that way, it seems as though it should be fine. The support person I talked to said I didn't have to worry about any sort of time limit (that was my second question) and double checked all of this with a supervisor (not my request) to make sure VC and Wiiware would stay intact.
#7Socran(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2013 7:39:53 PM
Alright, thanks. Anymore suggestions on which game? I'd like to hear more than one opinion.
---
#8FFXIgaiaknightPosted 5/28/2013 7:47:35 PM
Socran posted...
Even if it's a seperate game? Like, say I never played Pikmin 2 on my old Wii, but I played it on my Wii U. It would delete my Pikmin 2 save altogether, as if it was reformatting the system? And if I buy a Wii VC game (not that I plan to), it would delete that as well as the license?

save files can be backed up to a sd card VC games though you might be screwed on cause im like 99% sure it reformats wii mode.
---
http://www.club1kjho.com
NNI: Gaiaknight
#9Sprinkles32Posted 5/28/2013 8:01:36 PM
FFXIgaiaknight posted...
Socran posted...

save files can be backed up to a sd card VC games though you might be screwed on cause im like 99% sure it reformats wii mode.

Nope. I backed up save files to a SD in case it did completely reformat but it didn't. Example: I got Xenoblade after getting a Wii U and only played it on the Wii U. Did the transfer after and file was still there. I'll make a topic on if the VC and Wiiware works out after moving some save files around and transfer the 2nd Wii to the Wii U.

Sorry, I don't have an opinion on the two games. I have Pikmin 2 for Wii but haven't gotten to play much of it. Also I haven't gotten Sonic Colors, yet.