After a day of thinking, DKC:Tropical Freeze...

#1closetkpopfanPosted 6/12/2013 10:32:41 AM
is the most disappointing thing to me. Retro is great, and I'm sure the game will be great, but there just isn't anything to set this game apart from anything else to me. We already have NSMB, we're getting Sonic, Mario 3D, NSMB Luigi stuff, and Rayman. Plenty of games similar to what Donkey Kong brings to the table, I mean Metroid/Star Fox would of given the system something entirely different and filled a different genre and niche for more people to get the system.

As a huge Metroid fan it's extremely disappointing when I think about the fact that I could be playing a new Metroid game in November, now we're looking at probably 2015 if we're lucky for another Metroid game. Assuming one isn't already in development anyway, and even if one is I doubt it makes it in 2014 anyway.

Wasn't there articles about Retro pushing the Wii U and there game was looking amazing graphically? Seriously? Game doesn't look any better then anything else on the system.
---
http://s1.postimage.org/fm1o7jxqn/secret.jpg
http://s24.postimg.org/unjg0nrtx/1117615_1347687231256_full.jpg
#2XavuuPosted 6/12/2013 10:33:54 AM
I'm buying it day 1.
---
Choice Band STAB surprise Quick Attack; Staraptor.
#3trenkenPosted 6/12/2013 10:41:42 AM
There is one thing you have to remember about the Metroid games, they dont sell that well. MP3 sold 1.5 mil total worldwide. This is why they dont really make that many of them. Theres so many more Mario games out there for a good reason.

For them to spend what, 2-3 years building these games, paying people a ton of money to do it, for it to only sell 1.5mil Im sure you can imagine for a business who is just trying to make money why a game like that wouldnt be a top priority.

You have to be realistic about it and remember they are a business. If you dont like what theyre doing anymore youre free to leave, as they target other people with the games they are coming out with. Youre looking at it from your perspective only, that youre a metroid fan and you want a metroid game, they dont think that way and would probably go out of business if they did.

DKCR sold VERY well. Metroid Prime 3 did not. If you were running a business, um which one would you want to make a sequel to?
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#4cucumberkingPosted 6/12/2013 11:18:52 AM
As a Donkey Kong fan, I am glad Retro is doing something incredible again. Instead of the, imo, lackluster Prime series.
---
Youtube: MilkmanYeti PSN Milkmanyeti or ThePantsCougar NintendoID: Milkmanyeti
#5iKhanicPosted 6/12/2013 11:20:56 AM
cucumberking posted...
As a Donkey Kong fan, I am glad Retro is doing something incredible again. Instead of the, imo, lackluster Prime series.

But my question is how different is DKCTF from DKCR?

I really don't another NSMB.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#6wiiking96Posted 6/12/2013 11:25:05 AM
iKhanic posted...
cucumberking posted...

Well, it has entirely new villains and most likely a mostly new enemy selection. They're introducing a "plucking" mechanic. There are two new playable characters. Water levels are returning and are done in a new way. You now explore several different islands before going to DK island, and there's a new story that this is based around. The Ice Theme is being brought back after it's absence in Returns. David Wise is doing the music, There's a new focus on a dynamic camera to make things more interesting.

Sounds pretty good to me, and this is all I know so far.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#7Freakzilla5Posted 6/12/2013 11:27:20 AM
DKC > metroid.
#8cucumberkingPosted 6/12/2013 11:28:06 AM
iKhanic posted...
cucumberking posted...

How different would a new Prime be from the original trilogy? Probably not much. It's the same thing. Games in a series follow the same template generally.
---
#9manmousePosted 6/12/2013 11:34:24 AM
IMO Donkey Kong is as important to Nintendo as Mario.
hell, DK had a name while Mario was still Jump Man, and if it weren't for the game Donkey Kong, Nintendo and most Japanese devs wouldn't be making games today and we'd likely have a US, primarily Atari dominated industry, assuming we'd even make it out of the 80's gaming crash without Nintendo and DK.

seeing a new DK game is as important as a new Mario.
and so especially considering how before DKCR, his franchise had been ignored since his awful game on N64, i think it's great he now has two modern games.
sure it's not mind blowingly different from DKCR, but this is only the second game in the new branch, and it does have more interesting design with curved levels and perspectives and more characters with more abilities. they're just starting this format out in recent years, they gotta work on it before they just start ignoring everything the previous games did in order to start fresh. they gotta perfect the DKCR formula first. DKC2 made small changes to DKC but vastly improved the experience. same goes for DKC3, it's not like they were constantly reinventing the series, just improving the quality of design of levels, adding more characters, etc, and it worked perfect.

DK is farrrr more integral to Nintendo (as in, DK made Nintendo what they are today) than Metroid. so i'm glad we got DK.

and i just love how people are like, "more of the same?!" i mean, really? we got three amazing 2D donkey kong games on SNES, a letdown and failed 3D attempt on N64, and a game on Wii and a game on WiiU. that's it.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#10cucumberkingPosted 6/12/2013 11:36:16 AM
manmouse posted...
IMO Donkey Kong is as important to Nintendo as Mario.
hell, DK had a name while Mario was still Jump Man, and if it weren't for the game Donkey Kong, Nintendo and most Japanese devs wouldn't be making games today and we'd likely have a US, primarily Atari dominated industry, assuming we'd even make it out of the 80's gaming crash without Nintendo and DK.

seeing a new DK game is as important as a new Mario.
and so especially considering how before DKCR, his franchise had been ignored since his awful game on N64, i think it's great he now has two modern games.
sure it's not mind blowingly different from DKCR, but this is only the second game in the new branch, and it does have more interesting design with curved levels and perspectives and more characters with more abilities. they're just starting this format out in recent years, they gotta work on it before they just start ignoring everything the previous games did in order to start fresh. they gotta perfect the DKCR formula first. DKC2 made small changes to DKC but vastly improved the experience. same goes for DKC3, it's not like they were constantly reinventing the series, just improving the quality of design of levels, adding more characters, etc, and it worked perfect.

DK is farrrr more integral to Nintendo (as in, DK made Nintendo what they are today) than Metroid. so i'm glad we got DK.

and i just love how people are like, "more of the same?!" i mean, really? we got three amazing 2D donkey kong games on SNES, a letdown and failed 3D attempt on N64, and a game on Wii and a game on WiiU. that's it.

Yet a fourth Metroid would be a godsend even though it was the same game three times in just a few short years.
---