Wow WiiU is dead in the UK (for now)...

#21biggy204Posted 6/12/2013 11:25:12 PM
geneticsftw posted...
Ryu X posted...
I don't think its dead did you go to the Best Buy thing today? There was over 300 people at it.

Which is amazing for a system the was DOA

But did the demos actually help sell systems......
---
"Do you smelllllllllllllllllllllll what The Rock Is Cookin" - the Rock
"No but who farted??" - Everyone else
#22hiphops_saviorPosted 6/12/2013 11:26:28 PM
Hoping for Nintendo to succeed in the UK would be the same as hoping for Microsoft to succeed in Japan.
#23AstralFrostPosted 6/12/2013 11:33:18 PM(edited)
Its not just UK. I was in Japan last month and in most of the stores in Akihabara (the electronics town) the Wii U section is either tiny (as in a foot wide) or nonexistent. This INCLUDES the console boxes of which they usually have 1-2 and *maybe* 5 games but many shops have nothing at all. On the other hand the PS3, PSP, Vita and 3DS sections are quite large with a good selection. 360 is in the same boat as Wii U LOL.
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
#24monkeyspoonPosted 6/12/2013 11:29:44 PM
Gietzy posted...
Iokua posted...
I like how you make these statements with no proof or anything to back up your claims.

I was relaying my first hand experience of this evening when I tried to buy a game for my WiiU. How am I meant to provide evidence for that? Do you really want me to take pictures in Tescos?

You don't need to prove anything mate. The Nintendo fanboys know the WiiU is failing so they try to discredit everyone who admits its failing.

I'm also in the uk. My local supermarket has stopped selling WiiU consoles and games altogether and are apparently not looking to sell them in the future either. Even game has just bundled in the WiiU stuff with the Wii.
---
PSN ID: monkeyspoon, Nintendo Network ID: monkeyspoon. Can't wait for the PS4 to be released. Berenddebeer/msunshine are banned, now his new account ninsony12.
#25wombatkiddPosted 6/12/2013 11:30:19 PM
hiphops_savior posted...
Hoping for Nintendo to succeed in the UK would be the same as hoping for Microsoft to succeed in Japan.

Not really. At least if yuo buy a Wii U in the UK it works.
---
---
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
#26ThePrisoner06Posted 6/12/2013 11:33:47 PM
Am actually surprised that Argos hasnt been mentioned at all in this thread, as they are plugging the games and console in most stores.

But there again, if people have not got the spare money to spend out on items like games and consoles, then sales will drop.

After all a recent report did say that more and more people are having to borrow money just to do their weekly shopping, so buying things like games and consoles just wont happen.
---
NNID - AndyInTheUK Mainly playing Zombi U. Currently Number 1 on the Standard mode Leaderboard for Zombi U.
http://i.imgur.com/YD02k.jpg
#27PrinceOfHotPosted 6/12/2013 11:37:21 PM
Gietzy posted...
I hope this thing picks up. Hopefully it will with all the cool games that have been announced. What are it's world wide sales like at the moment?

I went to Tescos this evening (UK equivelant of Wallmart) and it was one of those huge ones that sells absolutely everything. They had loads of PS3 and 360 games. They had some Wii games and they even had a few PC games. Handhelds were also well represented (3DS and Vita). They also had promotional stuff for the XBOne and PS4. Games clearly weren't a little side line, they obviously did a lot of business in that area. So what about the WiiU presence? They had one game: Lego City Undercover. They hadn't sold out of the others. They just didn't carry them. They didn't have a Wii U section. They just put the game at number 20 in their Wii section "chart". Foolishly I had been hoping to pick up monster hunter.

It's actually quite depressing. I know lots of people say the launch year is always dry but I can't think of any successful console that has had it this bad.

Playstation 3 was much much much worse.
---
---
Video games do not cause violence. Violence may cause video games.
#28HairyGamerPosted 6/12/2013 11:40:40 PM
Gietzy posted...
Iokua posted...
I like how you make these statements with no proof or anything to back up your claims.

I was relaying my first hand experience of this evening when I tried to buy a game for my WiiU. How am I meant to provide evidence for that? Do you really want me to take pictures in Tescos?

Yes
#29Breastmilkn_DipPosted 6/13/2013 2:56:55 AM
ThePrisoner06 posted...
Am actually surprised that Argos hasnt been mentioned at all in this thread

You shouldn't be because, so far, Argos has been one of the absolute last places that anyone would consider buying a Wii U from. For example, when Asda (the UK equivalent of Walmart) had their price drop to 149 for the 8GB Basic a few months ago, Argos continued on with their price-point of 249.99 for the same model. Even today, at this very moment, they (still) have the 8GB Basic listed at 281.99 with a game.

...more and more people are having to borrow money just to do their weekly shopping, so buying things like games and consoles just wont happen.

And when you factor monthly broadband and landline phone costs into that equation, the likes of Microsoft especially, will find that their upcoming console may well die a horrible death in the UK.

At which point it will be renamed the XBox Gone.
-
--
---
Return To Energiser
#30niklingPosted 6/13/2013 3:06:06 AM
Iokua posted...

You're expecting him to take photos then?

I completely agree with what he's saying, after looking in Asda, Tesco's and Morrisons, only one of them (Morrisons) stocked Wii U games, NSMBU and Nintendo Land if I remember correctly, and these were mixed in with the Wii games. The other stores didn't even stock the games.