Why Nintendo Doesn't See Microsoft or Sony as Competition..

#11Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2013 11:44:56 AM
iKhanic posted...
Question TC, is that for Sony and Microsoft's game divisions or for the companies as a whole? I'd cut Microsoft a bit of slack because they are being run by a guy with only half a brain.

Game Divisions only.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#12MichaelWStevensPosted 6/16/2013 12:26:55 PM
Where did this chart come from? >_>

Weird how even during the PS2 era, Sony raked in less profits. I find that baffling, but not entirely impossible.
---
http://www.gplus.to/MichaelStevens | http://www.youtube.com/StevensMichaelW
Follow me on Twitter: @StevensMichaelW -- Aspiring writer and gaming journalist
#13strongo9Posted 6/16/2013 12:35:51 PM(edited)
MichaelWStevens posted...

Weird how even during the PS2 era, Sony raked in less profits. I find that baffling, but not entirely impossible.

The PS2 was made of proprietary hardware, so Sony took a pretty bad loss on each console sold.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#14HungoverHero777Posted 6/16/2013 1:13:33 PM
strongo9 posted...

The PS2 was made of proprietary hardware, so Sony took a pretty bad loss on each console sold.

Plus, the GBA/DS was printing money, so that's where a lot of Nintendo's profits probably came from.
---
The best gaming group on YouTube!:
http://www.youtube.com/user/LetsPlay/videos?flow=grid&view=1
#15Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2013 1:21:25 PM
HungoverHero777 posted...
strongo9 posted...

Plus, the GBA/DS was printing money, so that's where a lot of Nintendo's profits probably came from.

3DS seems to have just added its own printing attachment.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#16TheUnboundOnePosted 6/16/2013 1:24:54 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
Well, found an interesting figure chart today which shows why Nintendo does things the way it does, and why it doesn't see Sony or Microsoft as any real threat or competition.

http://i.imgur.com/UwdTasL.jpg

SInce 1981 they've been earning a profit every year for a total of 32billion dollars, while since Sony joined the gaming industry it has only earned 1 billion, and Microsoft -6 billion.

So, honestly if the gaming market crashes again.. Nintendo will survive.

I always assumed it was the reason why Tyco toy company doesn't see Ford as competition for its trucks.
---
Truth is only known once you step outside the information bubble.
#17JackalPosted 6/16/2013 1:26:38 PM
As long as I get something to play I could care less about either of those companies bank accounts. It's not like I'm getting a penny of it.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#18sonicfanaticjtbPosted 6/16/2013 1:31:35 PM
Interesting things to note

Microsoft had 8 years of loss in a row, between 2000 and 2007. 2011 is the first year that they've made over a billion in profits.

Sony had 4 years of loss in a row, from 2006 to 2009. I wonder if they're still pissed at themselves for their 599 US dollar idea...

Nintendo made over 5 billion dollars in profit in 2009. Despite what many would like to claim 'bout the Wii losing steam in it's last years of life, they still made close to a billion dollars in profit in 2011. For comparison, Microsoft only made a little over a billion in that year.

Nintendo. Printing money all day, every day.
---
Krystal and Phoenix Wright for Smash 4!
... Please, Sakurai?
#19big_pimperPosted 6/16/2013 1:39:56 PM
lol
---
Keep Hustlin' Cus
PC+Wii U Master Race
#20jackorhoadsPosted 6/16/2013 4:33:21 PM
Makes me think of the "it prints money" gif.
---
Gamefaqs: Where 14 year olds make fun of 13 year olds for acting like 12 year olds
PSN: jacksonrr & Wiiu Nintendo Network ID: SonicKidd