Buying my first Nintendo console in 11 and a half years.

#1MichaelWStevensPosted 6/16/2013 8:45:35 PM
I'm going to pick up a Wii U after I trade in my Xbox 360 Slim within the next month or so. As someone who hasn't owned a Nintendo console since the GameCube, I'm psyched about jumping on board with Nintendo at this point in time.

I was never sold on the Wii. I didn't care for motion controls and they didn't have what I was looking for. Plus, it was impossible to get a Wii when I was deployed to Iraq from October 2006 to January 2008, and Xbox 360 dominated our living area with Halo 2 and 3 LAN sessions.

Never bought a PS3, either. I've got friends with PS3s so I don't really miss anything.

My favorite console of all time would have to be the SNES and I've never stopped playing the games I've always loved from those days. In recent years, though, Nintendo just hasn't done it for me.

But E3 was the turning point. Wind Waker was the last Zelda game I beat and I have no real desire to return to it but Smash looks to be a must have.

The graphics have reached the point where you really don't need them to be better and the off-TV GamePad play would be very useful to me as a husband and new father (2 month old son -- time flies and he'll be wanting to play before I know it).

People like to rag on Wii Fit U, but I'm excited for it because I have nerve damage from injuries sustained in combat. It makes high impact workouts very painful, way beyond the realm of normal pain associated with working out. So the idea of constructing some low impact workouts through Wii Fit U is pretty enticing. Easy to get bored working out with nothing going on, but making it interactive will help keep my attention on it as well.

The game that really sold the system to me though was "X" from Monolith Soft. In 1998, I was 10 years old. But I distinctly remember my father buying Xenogears for $70 and since he had me reading books like The Death Gate Cycle, Dragonlance, Lord of the Rings, Sword of Truth, Shannara, Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones and the Icewind Dale trilogy, I got really in to the game (as well as other RPGs -- Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI/VII/VIII/IX, Legend of Legaia, etc.) and understood it. There's never been anything else like it. I couldn't get in to Xenosaga and never had the means to try Xenoblade Chronicles.

But "X" looks really damn good. It impressed the hell out of me. Combined with Smash and the Zelda and Metroid titles that are sure to make their way to Wii U, I'm finally sold on the system.

Of course, I have a mid-range PC for everything else. i5-3570, AMD Radeon HD 7770, 8 GB RAM. Nothing amazing, but solid. From everything I saw at E3 and with the knowledge of what the next-gen consoles are and what they're bringing to the table... I just can't bring myself to care that much.

Battlefield 4? Coming to PC. TitanFall? Coming to PC. Project Spark? Coming to PC. The Division? Coming to PC if it gets enough support, according to Ubisoft -- this Change.org petition has almost 50,000 signatures already (https://www.change.org/petitions/ubisoft-release-tom-clancy-s-the-division-for-pc). Destiny? Coming to PC. Final Fantasy XV? Might come to PC, but even if it doesn't, oh well. Haven't cared about Final Fantasy since FFX. Kingdom Hearts III? Square Enix lost $134 million last year and in an effort to recoup their losses have sold their souls to Microsoft rather than working with Nintendo, which seems odd given KH has history on Nintendo systems.

The list goes on; the point is, I saw nothing at E3 from PS4 or Xbox One that wasn't also coming to PC where I thought "I gotta have that!" Xbox One thinks everyone lives in the suburbs with 1 GB/s down and up speeds and Sony has a lot of potential, but nothing that truly hit the sweet spot that was console exclusive.
---
http://www.gplus.to/MichaelStevens | http://www.youtube.com/StevensMichaelW
Follow me on Twitter: @StevensMichaelW -- Aspiring writer and gaming journalist
#2MichaelWStevens(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2013 8:47:20 PM
I could go on, but if you've read this far, I congratulate you and encourage you to share for what reasons YOU purchased a Wii U and if you're optimistic about what's been shown and what games that are currently out that you'd qualify as a must have, if any.
---
http://www.gplus.to/MichaelStevens | http://www.youtube.com/StevensMichaelW
Follow me on Twitter: @StevensMichaelW -- Aspiring writer and gaming journalist
#3adgamerPosted 6/16/2013 8:54:42 PM
To summarize: You're looking forward to the exclusives on WiiU. The other consoles are irrelevant to you given that you own a gaming PC.

I agree to an extent. In my case, I'm not entirely satisfied with the quantity (and style) of games coming out this year. I'll wait until 2011 or 2012 to get my WiiU.

Anyway, I'm glad you did your research and found something that works for you.
---
Time waits for no one.
#4MilesTeg420Posted 6/16/2013 9:00:35 PM
adgamer posted...
To summarize: You're looking forward to the exclusives on WiiU. The other consoles are irrelevant to you given that you own a gaming PC.

I agree to an extent. In my case, I'm not entirely satisfied with the quantity (and style) of games coming out this year. I'll wait until 2011 or 2012 to get my WiiU.

This member is from the alternate universe where Wii U launched in 2010.
#5adgamerPosted 6/16/2013 9:01:40 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
adgamer posted...

This member is from the alternate universe where Wii U launched in 2010.

Lol. I don't know how I made that mistake, but yes... yes I am.
---
Time waits for no one.
#6Darkstorm16Posted 6/16/2013 9:01:48 PM
It's simple for me, I need a sidekick for my 3ds, I would love a console but was deciding wiiu or Vita. WiiU has games I will enjoy like ssmb, pikmin 3, bayonetta 2, assassins creed iv, nsmbu, sm3world, batman Arkham asylum, tekken, sonic all stars racing, Mario kart 8, the wonderful 101 plus vc and Wii games I want. The last Nintendo I owned besides handheld is GameCube, the only thing is how to balance game money and I love movies. The last Sony system I loved was ps2, skipped ps3 because its almost dead, I have no tv consoles, had an Xbox it was alright, Xbox 360's hardware is what made me afraid to buy with overheating.
---
Own a Vita, you're a troll, own a 3ds, you're a fanboy, own an IOS device, you have no opinion...tis the curse on these boards.
#7xoftheuniversePosted 6/16/2013 9:07:48 PM
I don't get it. Maybe you can explain this mentality. Why on earth would soldiers deployed for combat want to play most of the games on the 360? Also, not every game on the Wii is what you think. I have disabilities myself, and I don't stand up and play, infact the majority of games you can play sitting down, many with no motion controls. What about Smash Bros. Brawl?
---
The following terms are used by the people they describe: fanboy, noob, kiddy.
My gaming videos => http://www.youtube.com/user/xoftheuniverse
#8googlerPosted 6/16/2013 9:11:51 PM
So you wrote this manifesto as a preemptive attack on your future buyers' remorse?
#9Dark_AbaddonPosted 6/16/2013 9:13:59 PM
I purchased my Wii U at launch. Nintendo has never let me down with any system I have bought from them. The guarantee of new Zelda, Smash, Mario, X, and other Nintendo games, alone, would have been enough for me to take the plunge. The Wii U has one other exclusive that made it worth buying: Monster Hunter. All this made me buy it, and I am glad I did... ...well I have probably spent a little too much time playing it (especially Monster Hunter), but it was well worth it.

Oh, and the gamepad is incredibly useful, and improves the gameplay experience :D
---
and thus concludes my post.
#10DBPanterAPosted 6/16/2013 9:35:17 PM
MichaelWStevens posted...
I could go on, but if you've read this far, I congratulate you and encourage you to share for what reasons YOU purchased a Wii U and if you're optimistic about what's been shown and what games that are currently out that you'd qualify as a must have, if any.

First of all, there is lots of knuckleheads around these parts. Thank you for your service to our country.

Ok, let's talk about a form of entertainment we enjoy: Video games. I have stayed loyal to Nintendo since I received the NES on my 7th B-day. That includes every console and handheld. I buy them at launch. There are titles on the Wii U that you may want to look into that actually were really great games, from a Nintendo perspective as well as a metacritic perspective. Gotta give the Mario Galaxy games a try. New Super Mario Brothers Wii is a replica of 2-D Mario action that can be played with others. Much of the game play and concepts you see in New Super Mario Brothers U and Super Mario 3D World are found in this game.

I personally believe the best console to own today is actually the Nintendo 3DS. Too many games and not enough time. The thing is reasonably priced, great library of 1st and 3rd party games, and the digital only software from the small/indy guys are simply amazing.

In regards to Wii U software, I bought quite a few 3rd party games that were ports and enjoyed them (Batman, AC:3, Need for Speed: Most Wanted). I have to date pre-ordered and paid outright for Pikmin 3, Batman: Arkham Origins, AC:4, and Watch_Dogs. I honestly am saddened after playing Mario Kart 8 this past weekend at Best Buy it will not be coming for 9 months. Windwaker HD will depend on the price, as I will not buy it if it costs $60 with nothing to add besides a fresh coat of paint (My Gamecube still works, I can play it in 10 minutes).

You bring up valid points being a husband and father to the benefits of off-TV play. What is also great is the digital side of purchasing games from the old consoles and playing them on the gamepad. I prefer to do this and have sports on the TV.

If you have other questions, drop my a private message. I am part of a crew from all over North America that met playing an on-line game for the Wii and we discuss all sorts of topics (most guys are fathers, married, etc.). I personally wish there was more for the Wii U, but there really is a lot there in terms of the digital side, and people throw around how great Sony is in regards to small/indy developers, but Nintendo has an incredible selection of titles that could keep you busy until that big game you are waiting for is released. . .
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036