350 for a Wii U or 400 for PS4

#21EastCoastKodyPosted 6/17/2013 12:03:42 AM
maybe the Basic Wii U is cheaper now..idk. But at launch the deluxe was a much better value. And i regret buyin my nephew the basic. It was a dumb move.

They said PS plus was going to be $60 now. Not 50 anymore.

VanderZoo posted...
HayashiTakara posted...
WiiU this year and PS4 a year later when it has more games, WiiU will have a stronger library by holiday season, and we don't know what exactly the PS4 will launch with, chances are, not much but multiplats.

http://au.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/Playstation_4_Launch_Titles

It's the best launch lineup/window I've ever seen for a console, and certainly better than any previous PS launch. A lot are multiplats, but PS4 runs them better than any other console, and 40 of them have exclusive DLC, so they're still a selling point for PS4.

For me personally.....the ps4 launch looks meh at best. Killzone and inFAMOUS don't look impressive. Its a majority of multiplats. Which certainly is better than getting ports of really old games like Wii U did, but i wouldn't assume that PS4 will run any of them better.

They have a track record of having worse versions of multiplats. The Xbox 360 continually had the best versions of a multiplat game last gen. Sony put out some downright unplayable multiplats. And if the controller isn't a huge leap forward, thats another factor. Playing multiplat shooters w/ a Dual shock was awful
#22ncb1397Posted 6/17/2013 12:07:13 AM
ElectricMole posted...
ncb1397 posted...
ElectricMole posted...
nobody in their right mind buys the basic model. Its a rip off compared to the Deluxe.

So, the people shopping at Target with a basic that was $110 lower than the deluxe got ripped off? You need to qualify your statement a bit more. The basic is often discounted while the deluxe is often priced higher than MSRP. Basic is $288 on Amazon now(free shipping).

The basic model is $299. Havent you been reading the thread at all?

There was a promotion for a Basic Wii U for $240 at Target a while back. Anyways, if you make your own bundle out of a $288 Wii U Basic(amazon price), it comes out right about where the Deluxe is.

Wii U Basic: $288*
$5 eshop(to compensate for 10% digital discount):$5
32 GB flash drive(40 total internal + external): $20*
Wii U stand: $11*
game(s) of your choice: $26
Total: $350
*prices from amazon
So, no, people in their right mind should consider getting the basic and build their own deluxe bundle or buy what they need at a later date as they want to expand the console.
#23Chocobo115Posted 6/17/2013 12:10:02 AM
People keep forgetting that PS+ gives you additional monthly games for no extra charge while you're a PS+ member as well as some rather neat discounts.

I'll get a PS4 fist, launch or later I haven''t decided on. Then buy a Wii U when it actually has some games worth my time. Which seems to be 2015-2016.
---
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
#24Larsa_BritdorPosted 6/17/2013 12:16:23 AM
Wii U's launch lineup was huge. But we didn't get half the games listed. Some were canned and some were delayed. Others went from exclusive to multi-plat. It wasn't the first time either.
Don't assume everything in the launch lineup is real. They always turn out to be just to build up enough hype. At least half of those games won't be out shortly enough to be considered launch window, and a few will even take more than a year to be done. (FFXV not out until next year, KH3 will take at least 2 years longer)
---
If you support Kingdom Hearts 3 on Wii U sign and put this in your signature:
http://tinylink.in/11BG
#25VanderZooPosted 6/17/2013 12:20:27 AM
ARushAndAPush posted...
But the thing is, that price is only relevant if the PS4 can do everything the Wii U can do out of the box. It can't. You have to pay to play online.... (that's $60 extra a year for a start, compared to FREE on the Wii U). Then to get the second screen experience, you have to buy a Vita and a memory card (which costs another $300).....

PS Plus is $50 a year. And it's not just an online fee, they actually give you games for it. You can get PS Plus and potentially be set for the rest of the year. On day 1 you get Drive Club and three indie games. And it works for all PS platforms. If you already have PS Plus you won't need to buy one for PS4.

PS4 also has free to play games from the get go: Planetside 2, Warframe and DCUO.

And Vita can do more than just emulate the Wii U controller, it's a portable PS4. All PS4 games except for camera based games can be played on the Vita. Wii U can't do that. So comparing Wii U to Vita doesn't really work because the Vita's functionality with PS4 is something Wii U can't do at all.

And if we're playing that game, we can add in the cost of a blu-ray player to the Wii U. Add in the cost of a 500gb HDD. Add in the cost of a DVR unit for game recording and streaming etc.

And then of course there's things you can't add to the cost of, such as the more powerful PS4 hardware, you can't add on hardware to the Wii U to make it do what the PS4 can, but if you could that's a lot more money you'd have to spend..

The Wii U doesn't come out on top when we starting adding in the features one can do but not the other.
---
Man of Steel - 26.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"
#26VanderZooPosted 6/17/2013 12:27:33 AM
EastCoastKody posted...
For me personally.....the ps4 launch looks meh at best. Killzone and inFAMOUS don't look impressive. Its a majority of multiplats. Which certainly is better than getting ports of really old games like Wii U did, but i wouldn't assume that PS4 will run any of them better.

They have a track record of having worse versions of multiplats. The Xbox 360 continually had the best versions of a multiplat game last gen. Sony put out some downright unplayable multiplats. And if the controller isn't a huge leap forward, thats another factor. Playing multiplat shooters w/ a Dual shock was awful

We can assume PS4 will run multiplats better because it's more powerful than the Xbox One and it's easier to develop for. Jack Tretton said 3rd party games will look and run better on PS4, and before you call him out on lying or hyping up the PS4 or whatever, he followed up that statement with "but I hate talking the talk without walking the walk, I encourage consumers to look at the games themselves side by side and see which one looks best. And I'm just telling you what I've been hearing from 3rd party developers".

There was an article in Forbes where a 3rd party developer said all 3rd party games will look better on PS4. It's got a better GPU, and more/faster RAM, how could they not look better?

Now the 360 had marginally, very marginally better looking multplats than the PS3, but that's because PS3 and 360 were very similar in power and because PS3 was very difficult and expensive to develop for. That won't be an issue with PS4.

As for the Dualshock 4, everyone who has had hands on with it says it's great and a big improvement in every way over the DS3. You can read hands on previews on it from any major site.
---
Man of Steel - 26.06.13
#27CasualGamersPosted 6/17/2013 12:31:24 AM
The price difference is way more than $50.

But hey, people can use whatever logic to make them feel better with their purchase.

I think another thing we have to take into consideration is the build quality. The Wii U doesn't have any build quality issues that I know of and Nintendo has been making well made consoles for decades.

Sony....well...let's just say that their products aren't as reliable...Remember the YLOD with the ps3? I was thinking about buying a ps4 when it came out, but I decided to wait because I am not sure if the PS4 will cr*p out after a year or two. I'd let others test out the ps4 and hammer out the kinks before I fork over my $400-500 for that console.
#28VanderZooPosted 6/17/2013 12:36:39 AM
CasualGamers posted...

But hey, people can use whatever logic to make them feel better with their purchase.

I think another thing we have to take into consideration is the build quality. The Wii U doesn't have any build quality issues that I know of and Nintendo has been making well made consoles for decades.

Sony....well...let's just say that their products aren't as reliable...Remember the YLOD with the ps3? I was thinking about buying a ps4 when it came out, but I decided to wait because I am not sure if the PS4 will cr*p out after a year or two. I'd let others test out the ps4 and hammer out the kinks before I fork over my $400-500 for that console.

Just get a warranty.
---
Man of Steel - 26.06.13
#29ncb1397Posted 6/17/2013 12:39:22 AM
VanderZoo posted...
ARushAndAPush posted...
But the thing is, that price is only relevant if the PS4 can do everything the Wii U can do out of the box. It can't. You have to pay to play online.... (that's $60 extra a year for a start, compared to FREE on the Wii U). Then to get the second screen experience, you have to buy a Vita and a memory card (which costs another $300).....

PS Plus is $50 a year. And it's not just an online fee, they actually give you games for it. You can get PS Plus and potentially be set for the rest of the year. On day 1 you get Drive Club and three indie games. And it works for all PS platforms. If you already have PS Plus you won't need to buy one for PS4.

PS4 also has free to play games from the get go: Planetside 2, Warframe and DCUO.

And Vita can do more than just emulate the Wii U controller, it's a portable PS4. All PS4 games except for camera based games can be played on the Vita. Wii U can't do that. So comparing Wii U to Vita doesn't really work because the Vita's functionality with PS4 is something Wii U can't do at all.

And if we're playing that game, we can add in the cost of a blu-ray player to the Wii U. Add in the cost of a 500gb HDD. Add in the cost of a DVR unit for game recording and streaming etc.

And then of course there's things you can't add to the cost of, such as the more powerful PS4 hardware, you can't add on hardware to the Wii U to make it do what the PS4 can, but if you could that's a lot more money you'd have to spend..

The Wii U doesn't come out on top when we starting adding in the features one can do but not the other.

I'll bite

$290 Wii U Basic

$64 Blu Ray Player(http://www.amazon.com/LG-BP125-Blu-Ray-1080p-Player/dp/B00ABU7Y26/ref=lp_352697011_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1371453856&sr=1-9)

External 500 GB Harddrive: $55(amazon)

game DVR, lol. Titles can implement that like Mario Kart 8. No hardware needed.

Wii U Pro controller: $50
Total: $459

PS4: $400
2nd controller: $60
Total: $460

Wii U wins?
#30chrrypie361Posted 6/17/2013 12:41:47 AM
CasualGamers posted...

YLOD was nowhere near as bad as the RROD was for the 360...