What has happened not Nintendo? It's kind of a sad thing to watch

#11RevolutionV(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 4:06:11 PM
Enigma149 posted...
RevolutionV posted...
DDP886 posted...
Pretty muh Nintendo is going to become A 3rd party like sega down the road

I can see this if Nintendo doesn't improve their current situation. If MS, somehow makes it out of this current generation, I think Nintendo will be in a lot of trouble.

Yes. Clearly, the only company to make a profit during the last generation, and not the ones with game divisions that haven't even broken-even, will be the first to go 3rd party. </sarcasm>

The problem is this: Some of you are looking at this from a short-term gain point of view. Nintendo sold tons of consoles to people who don't traditionally play videogames and as we can see, have not (and may not) come back. Sure, they sold more console. But what did that do for them? made them a short-term profit, and it ruined their reputation. Many people see hear wii or Wii U and they run for the hills; they want to stay clear off it.

Wii U may be a great console, but because it's associated with the Wii, may people are dismissing it because they do not trust the brand anymore. The damage has been done. I'm not saying that there wont be a good games, because there will be some, but we can all see that the next gen is not being played on Nintendo's terms (even if they did sell more last Gen). I'm a gamer and consumer first and foremost. I could care less who sells how many, I want the best games and the best available technology at the best price. I don't see that in Nintendo at the moment.
#12LightHawKnightPosted 6/17/2013 4:08:31 PM
Troll spawning season!
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#13spealfan444Posted 6/17/2013 4:13:43 PM
DDP886 posted...
Pretty muh Nintendo is going to become A 3rd party like sega down the road

I love how everyone forgets the 3DS..........
---
These boards are a creature of Chaos, they may take many incarnations.
#14JackalPosted 6/17/2013 4:18:47 PM(edited)
Nintendo doesn't have to be broke to get out of the console business. If that was the only reason that they would go 3rd party then they may also be to broke to be a 3rd party and have to sell off their assets. I think that them getting out of the console biz would be due to investors losing faith in their ability to make a successful selling console that can compete in the market. If the Wii U doesn't turn things around then that could be a possibility unless Nintendo goes back to making console that do not have such out-of-this-world controllers.

Their franchises on a Sony console = $$$! Oh yeah! Then Nintendo could focus on their handheld platform.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#15monkeyluv101Posted 6/17/2013 4:25:00 PM
No way in hell will Nintendo become 3rd party. Nintendo made so much profit with Wii that they'll still be in the green even if the Wii U completely tanks. Just being real here, I'm no Nintendo fan, in fact I think their consoles as of late have been garbage. Nintendo just does good business and has the best handhelds.

If anything they'll be solely a handheld company (if they can't get their consoles down) and keep their IPs. Nintendo's handhelds can't be beat, I wish I could say the same for the hardware though. Wii was ok, nothing special, it gave me a couple good Zelda games, Mario Galaxy and Metroid. Wii U has a few things for the future but currently is a vast wasteland for games.
#16ShankspearePosted 6/17/2013 4:27:13 PM
Jackal posted...
Nintendo doesn't have to be broke to get out of the console business. If that was the only reason that they would go 3rd party then they may also be to broke to be a 3rd party and have to sell off their assets. I think that them getting out of the console biz would be due to investors losing faith in their ability to make a successful selling console that can compete in the market. If the Wii U doesn't turn things around then that could be a possibility unless Nintendo goes back to making console that do not have such out-of-this-world controllers.

Their franchises on a Sony console = $$$! Oh yeah! Then Nintendo could focus on their handheld platform.

First paragraph - Technically possible but nothing more than conjecture.

But Sony's demographic doesn't like those type of games so it would probably ending failing.
#17Emperor_mateusPosted 6/17/2013 4:35:32 PM(edited)
Well Nintendo was rejected by most gamers when they tried to do the same thing as Sony and Microsoft. The gamecube was the cheapest of the 3 consoles, had some great games and even some "mature" exclusives and was second only to the xbox in power. Nintendo was rewarded with last place for that. Yeah yeah I know they actually made a profit out of it, unlike Microsoft, but they still sold the least amount of consoles.

Nintendo's sales where slipping with each consoles they made so they had to do something to set them apart from its competitors, which had the result that they aren't really seen as competition anymore, since Nintendo is Nintendo and does its own thing.

I don't blame Nintendo for going in the Wii direction since they where pretty much forced into that corner. That and I did't think the Wii was all that bad.
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
#18The_DS_KingPosted 6/17/2013 4:35:21 PM
Nintendo thought they couldnt compete with the competition with comparable hardware (N64/GC generations). They decided to focus on 1st party titles and be the peripheral console.
#19RevolutionV(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 4:42:03 PM
Emperor_mateus posted...
Well Nintendo was rejected by most gamers when they tried to do the same thing as Sony and Microsoft. The gamecube was the cheapest of the 3 consoles, had some great games and even some "mature" exclusives and was second only to the xbox in power. Nintendo was rewarded with last place for that. Yeah yeah I know they actually made a profit out of it, unlike Microsoft, but they still sold the least amount of consoles.

Nintendo's sales where slipping with each consoles they made so they had to do something to set them apart from its competitors, which had the result that they aren't really seen as competition anymore, since Nintendo is Nintendo and does its own thing.

I don't blame Nintendo for going in the Wii direction since they where pretty much forced into that corner. That and I did't think the Wii was all that bad.

See I agree with this. I also think that his is a huge concern, because gamers rejected Nintendo during the NGC and N64 years. But why? I though that the GC was amazing! there were tons of great games, and it was a fun system. I didn't care much for the N64, outside a few great games. But this is exactly my point. Something happened, where gamers rejected Nintendo, it wasn't "just because", and I think it's partly their attitude towards change. It's like they push the envelope from certain aspects, but they take two steps back in others. And though I really like the Marios and Zeldas, it's time for something new as well.
#20Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 6/17/2013 4:43:47 PM
Nintendo has a stronger line up releasing this year than either Microsoft or Sony so I'm not really sure what you're all derping about.

Not true at all. GTA V alone trumps anything Nintendo is releasing this year.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17oodar3kvfbjjpg/original.jpg