Predict the 8th gen console race

#1iKhanicPosted 6/17/2013 7:38:15 PM
Now that we have info on the PS4 and that crummy console by Microsoft, lets make prediction.

Here is my prediction:
XBOX One bombs in the 1st two years. Most of it's sales are from microsoft fanboys and wealthy families uninterested in games. Poor sales reduce 3rd Party ports. Microsoft begins to invest more of it's resources in the 360 and PC gaming while continuing to push the XBOX One, as they usually don't like to admit defeat. Eventually, they just kill the console and drop out of the console race. Especially considering how it hasn't profited them much. 10M consoles

Wii U sales begin to pick up in early august, and sales are steady by October. Nintendo limits Wii series titles to one per year and develops a more gritty franchise (still rated T, but the atmosphere and what-not are more "mature"). XBOX One's failure and increased sales lead to more 3rd Party multiplats to come to the console. Sales do decent: 60M consoles

PS4 has a fantastic launch. The console has usual Sony exclusives as well as great 3rd party support. Pretty much ends up like the PS1 and PS2 in dominating the market (and I'm a Nintendo fanboy). That said, declining interest in consoles causes sales to peak at 130M consoles.

Steambox does moderately well also, selling 25M units.

Nintendo releases a 9th gen console 5 years later while Sony waits 7-8 years because of diminishing returns. Apple partners with a hardware manufacturer to create a more powerful cloud gaming device
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2CorruptedRPGPosted 6/17/2013 7:42:02 PM
Wii U > PS4 > Xbox One

or

Wii U > Xbox One > PS4

There should no complaints now.
#3IcedEarthaholicPosted 6/17/2013 7:55:43 PM
Wii U sales pick up and begin taking off, bringing some third party support back to the console once the games begin hitting. Ultimately ending up finding it's stride by September and not looking back. Ultimately I feel a price drop coming around November/December and a couple nice bundles as well. It will get plenty of exclusives that you can't get anywhere else throughout it's lifetime too, exclusives that will appeal to various people, and end up propelling the thing along.

My prediction: 60 - 80 Million

PS4 will start off strong, but ultimately when people begin to notice the flaws it has, will begin picking the thing apart. It will have a good, strong software line-up throughout it's lifespan, and no, I do not expect it to reach PS2 levels at all, but I expect it to have a strong showing in the end.

My prediction: 70 -75 Million

XB1? The games looked decent, and it will be sharing multiplats with PS4, but the 500 dollar price, DRM issues, used game fees, and every horrible decision they've made with this system will bite them in the ass.

My prediction: 20 - 30 Million
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#4CasualGamersPosted 6/17/2013 7:59:42 PM
N getting 3rd party support? Some devs are M$/Sony fanboys and they will not come to the Wii U even though it is a unique and compelling experience.

The PS4 could be successful more successful than the Wii U, but it is tough to say. I mean, how can we tell when N hasn't brought out the big guns like smash and Mario kart?
#5CasualGamersPosted 6/17/2013 8:01:54 PM
IcedEarthaholic posted...
Wii U sales pick up and begin taking off, bringing some third party support back to the console once the games begin hitting. Ultimately ending up finding it's stride by September and not looking back. Ultimately I feel a price drop coming around November/December and a couple nice bundles as well. It will get plenty of exclusives that you can't get anywhere else throughout it's lifetime too, exclusives that will appeal to various people, and end up propelling the thing along.

My prediction: 60 - 80 Million

PS4 will start off strong, but ultimately when people begin to notice the flaws it has, will begin picking the thing apart. It will have a good, strong software line-up throughout it's lifespan, and no, I do not expect it to reach PS2 levels at all, but I expect it to have a strong showing in the end.

My prediction: 70 -75 Million

XB1? The games looked decent, and it will be sharing multiplats with PS4, but the 500 dollar price, DRM issues, used game fees, and every horrible decision they've made with this system will bite them in the ass.

My prediction: 20 - 30 Million

Another thought. I don't think the ps4 will break 50 million. You have to remember that a sizeable chunk of those sells are repeat buyers due to YLOD issues.
#6The_HyphenatorPosted 6/17/2013 8:02:19 PM
I think the Wii U is going to take off this holiday season, while the PS4 and Xbone both have fairly slow launches (the Xbone more so). The Wii U will continue to sell steadily after that, and will see the return of a fair number of third parties to the platform, but won't really start seeing truly impressive sales figures until a price drop a few years down the line.

Meanwhile, the PS4 will have a hot holiday season next year, and begin to pick up steam, with new exclusives helping to drive sales. But again, they won't start pushing really big numbers until a price drop happens.

The Xbone will continue to struggle in the States, and will be virtually dead in the UK, Europe and Asia. A price drop and some key titles will help move it, but the stigma surrounding the platform and the lack of overseas sales will keep it from gaining any real traction.

As for the final shakedown, I'm going to be generous and guess that we'll see double the amount of consoles sold from the previous gen (it's a pretty safe bet: Gen 6 did about 160 million, all told, and Gen 7 has already hit 260 million and still counting), so we'll call the total 520 million. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Nintendo is going to stick with a 5-to-6-year cycle and release a new system in 2018, while the other two consoles may try to go for another 8-to-10-year cycle. So I'll say the Wii U will sell 160 million, the PS4 300 million, and the Xbone a paltry 60 million (again, remember that I'm predicting little to no overseas sales for the Xbone).

Sony will be saved, Nintendo will skip into the sunset after another profitable generation, and Microsoft Corporate, sick of wasting billions on a division that has never turned a long-term profit, will finally pull the plug on the Xbox division.
#7FFXIgaiaknightPosted 6/17/2013 8:05:28 PM
PS4 - between 70-100 million
Xbox 1 - between 70-100 million (dont underestimate the human race)
Wii U - 50-60 million (will probably be my most played platform this gen)
---
3DS FC: 4124-5007-1536
NNI: Gaiaknight
#8kdognumba1Posted 6/17/2013 8:06:47 PM
I predict that all the consoles will be plagued by red rings and a swarm of angry bees will mob you once you leave your homes. MWAHAHAHAHA
---
backloggery: http://backloggery.com/kdog254 twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
#9slyman19Posted 6/17/2013 8:15:56 PM
PS4: 100 million
One: 75 million
Wii U: 30 million
#10Warmonger222Posted 6/17/2013 8:20:10 PM
Wii U 65M
PS4 60M
XONE 8M
Valve <2M
Ouya <1M

Wii U will pick up later this year, people will see the $100 price difference and not be as interested in PS4 until late next year. XBox One will sell a bit lower than Wii U did at launch, but rather than sales increasing after the post launch slump, they will only get worse over time. Valves console (assuming it even exists) will fail, wont even get a niche (maybe a SMALL PC/Valve fanboy one), Ouya will outright fail.
---
Sega is what EAin't - Crazy_Tank51
Wont buy a non-Nintendo console until people stop pretending Nintendo doesn't count.