Are Nintendo fans largely anti-story and anti-voice acting?

#1GradyHooverPosted 6/19/2013 6:08:25 AM
Frankly, many of my favorite first-party Nintendo games tend to have the most story and the most voice acting for their individual franchises.

I know that Miyamoto is passionately anti-story in games. (Ironic, given how he was instrumental in the first usage of storytelling in gaming). He says stories don't matter and distract from gameplay. He was irritated by the side Rosalina storyline in Galaxy, and says it was snuck in under his nose.

I think he's kinda gone senile. Stories are extremely important to me. That's how I get invested in gameplay.

Granted, some games are awesome regardless of storyline. But it can only help to really go into a story.

Yet, based on how some Nintendo fans act, i'm not sure that's the majority opinion.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#2Wario_manPosted 6/19/2013 6:12:22 AM
He's one of the things so wrong with Nintendo right now. We desperately need new blood in there at the higher levels so we don't keep having him burst in and dumb down games anymore like he did with Sticker Star.
---
PH1R57 1'lL G37 73H 7R345Ur3, 4nD 7h3N 1'lL G37 JoO.
#3Chocobo115Posted 6/19/2013 6:12:45 AM
You know what, I completly agree to what you're posting.
I wish Nintendo could find the keys to story telling already.
And not saying that they have to bring story to every game to keep the other fans happy. But they could start some new more storyheavy IPs.
---
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
#4Kong K RoolPosted 6/19/2013 6:16:23 AM
Depends why you're playing a certain game. Stories in RPGs, sure. But when I play a platformer, I want to jump. When I play a shooter, I want to shoot. A fleshed-out story gets in the way of my goal in these cases.
---
.-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-.
#5Tsutarja495Posted 6/19/2013 6:24:37 AM(edited)
I know I am. Any game that lets me skip cutscenes, I do every time, because when I'm watching a cutscene I'm not playing the game. Any game that lets me cut off voices and go text only, I will, because I can read faster than they can talk.

For example, Fire Emblem Awakening had tons of talking, but I could skip everything and go straight to the battles, so I was fine with it. Zelda Skyward Sword on the other hand had tons of talking, and no way to skip or even speed it up, so I hated that about it.

But the Rosalina thing didn't bother me at all. The way it was handled was entirely optional, if you didn't care you didn't have to go listen to it. I don't see what the problem was.
#6The_Shadow_LinkPosted 6/19/2013 6:17:10 AM
They seem against it because when Nintendo tries, they are a mess like Super Mario Sunshine or Metroid Other M.

I actually want Nintendo to succeed in it for once. So I wish they push forward more on it
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#7thundercat2600Posted 6/19/2013 6:18:08 AM
Nintendo fanboys have no opinions if their own. They love whatever Nintendo has and HATE everything else.

Tomorrow, Iwata could say "we envision video games as a powerful new form of storytelling", and this board would be filled with posts about how games are just as good as books and movies in telling a story, and how lots of plot/character development are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
---
Nintendo stock the day before Wii U was announced: 26,500
Nintendo stock today: 9,200
#8jbhensPosted 6/19/2013 6:18:50 AM
I find it odd that Nintendo fans are so hostile towards story in games. Look at what some peoples opinions of the Last of Us are around here. What amazes me even more, is that Nintendo used to be pretty good at story telling and cutscenes. Go back to the N64 days, and games like Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask were praised for those things. It was even something Nintendo was proud of at the time. Go back and read some prerelease hype for OoT. Miyamoto and others were bragging about how the story unfolds in the game and how proud they were of the cutscenes and the atmosphere in the game. Now, they seem to be confused on how to make an engaging story even though they have much more powerful hardware. SS is a great example of this. The game has countless points where your just reading long drawn out text and doesn't try anything to actually draw you into the story.
#9TheGhostPosted 6/19/2013 6:20:47 AM
I love a good story and good voice-acting. Playing the Metal Gear Series (except for MGS4) and the Legacy of Kain series was probably the best experiences I had in my video gaming years.

However, I don't think all games work with story-lines. And in the case of Galaxy's Rosalina, I honestly think that no-story is better than a half-baked story.

I'd still be interested in playing a Mario game with a good story, or a Zelda game with an even deeper one.
---
When you get your historical understanding from movies, then you just make nem's job easier. kiricat
#10Lord_of_BeefDipPosted 6/19/2013 6:21:34 AM
It all depends on the game, in regards to how important story and VA are. Nintendo games probably don't need either heavily, at least not games like Mario and DK.

Having said that, I would like to see some shake up of the usual formula. Mario needs something more, something better than saving the f***ing princess for the 30th time. It doesn't need something grand or overly convoluted, but a fresh spin would do wonders. Maybe a tiny bit of backstory on some characters, some focus on more than just cheesy cliche ideas, as iconic as those can be.

You can have a Mario game and a decent story at once, the two needn't be mutually exclusive.

VA would be hit or miss with Mario, but if done sparingly it could work. Tone down the level of cheese from SM:Sunshine and it could work if in moderation. Text only would be a great option for those who don't want to hear the speech.

Series like Zelda though, could benefit far more though with a deeper and richer story. Not a lot of angst, but more tense emotional moments, and a bigger insight to some of the series lore. VA could work well, but Link needs to remain silent 98% of the time.

I'll post more later if I have time.
---
music3212.proboards.com
My forum, attempting a revival.