Why doesn't Nintendo try something they haven't done since the NES/SNES days...

#1jbhensPosted 6/19/2013 9:16:38 AM
And that is, to make sure you are the console to own for everyone. Let me explain..

When you look at the PS, PS2, 360, and PS 3 it becomes clear that their are anywhere from 80 million to well over 100 million people that like the 3rd party games found on those systems and like some of those features.

When you look at the N64 and Gamcube, it becomes clear that their are 20-30 million hardcore Nintendo fans that are happy with a system with just Nintendo titles and don't care for 3rd party support or own other systems to get those games.

The Wii was an incredibly lucrative fad that has run it's course. It sold to the hardcore Nintendo fan of course, but also sold to people that are not going to move on to another console. The people that bought the system for WiiSports and WiiFit aren't going to move on to sequels for those games simply because they don't care. Those games didn't turn them into gamers. The Wii caught the world by storm and had so much free press and had things going for it, but it wasn't a long term success.

Nintendo needs to get back to where they are the number one choice if you wanna play games. The NES/SNES are known just as much for their 3rd party games as they were for their 1st party titles. Some people still associate Mega Man, Castlevania, Final Fintasy, and Metal Gear with Nintendo.

It seems so obvious, but they refuse to do it. If Nintendo, who has the resources, made sure that their newest console was home to the biggest 3rd party titles that attract over 100 million gamers then they would be opening their system up to a much bigger market then the casual market they attracted with the original Wii. Nintendo consoles since the N64 era have been home to Nintendo titles, and if you want anything else then you have to buy another system. It should be clear, that more people like those other titles then they do Nintendo titles. Nintendo has a huge following to be sure, but it's less the a 3rd of what the other systems attract.

I just wonder what would happen if Nintendo would have caught up with the times and dipped into their war chest and made sure their console was home to the games that attract so many people. They would be opening up their classic titles to a much larger group that is willing to spend money on games then the casuals who purchased the original Wii.
#2InfamouslyNycePosted 6/19/2013 9:32:26 AM
So what you're saying is I, as a gamer, should follow the masses and play everything everyone else plays? I should adopt some fundamentals of the dude bro culture to become a gamer amongst the masses?

Sorry, no go in my opinion, I like Nintendo's level of "quality" control. You want Nintendo to go back to the way they were before, when devs would complain to the amount of control they had over their games published under Nintendo. That's partly why some of the legacy devs don't produce games for Nintendos.

I will say that more dev support will make a better selection, but it not detrimental to my personal entertainment value. There are many others who share the same philosphy as I as well.
---
Nintendo Network ID: Inf4mous
#3jbhens(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2013 9:36:46 AM
InfamouslyNyce posted...
So what you're saying is I, as a gamer, should follow the masses and play everything everyone else plays? I should adopt some fundamentals of the dude bro culture to become a gamer amongst the masses?

Sorry, no go in my opinion, I like Nintendo's level of "quality" control. You want Nintendo to go back to the way they were before, when devs would complain to the amount of control they had over their games published under Nintendo. That's partly why some of the legacy devs don't produce games for Nintendos.

I will say that more dev support will make a better selection, but it not detrimental to my personal entertainment value. There are many others who share the same philosphy as I as well.

No, I'm saying as a "gamer" if Nintendo created a console that had not only their games but also the biggest 3rd party titles then it would be a huge success. Why do so many Nintendo fans act like the lack of games on a Nintendo console is some form of quality control? It's simple. Nintendo became popular early on because they had the variety in game selection. Nintendo basically needs to take a Sony stance on 3rd parties and treat them with respect and they would be good.
#4DinglesteedPosted 6/19/2013 9:38:34 AM
jbhens posted...
InfamouslyNyce posted...

No, I'm saying as a "gamer" if Nintendo created a console that had not only their games but also the biggest 3rd party titles then it would be a huge success. Why do so many Nintendo fans act like the lack of games on a Nintendo console is some form of quality control? It's simple. Nintendo became popular early on because they had the variety in game selection. Nintendo basically needs to take a Sony stance on 3rd parties and treat them with respect and they would be good.

I don't exactly see Nintendo yelling and calling third parties names or anything...If anything, the 3rd parties are disrespecting Nintendo. I see lots of headlines of dev's badmouthing the Wii U and Nintendo but I never see the other way around...
---
Playing: MH3U, Phoenix Wright Series, NSMBU, NHL 13, Jade Empire, Luigi's Mansion
3DS FC: 2191-7639-5571
#5Starwars4JPosted 6/19/2013 9:45:13 AM
jbhens posted...
3rd parties and treat them with respect and they would be good.

Please, do show me where Nintendo hasn't treated third parties with respect. Nintendo treats everyone with respect, even the individuals slinging mud at them.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#6Falling DownPosted 6/19/2013 9:52:19 AM
Hmmm, I don't think Nintendo ever sought out 3rd party developers, they were just the only game in town so devs. Had no choice. Yes, Sega came along but it was nintendo's world and they ran it how they felt.

When playstation came out the devs had a new disc based system where publishing was cheaper and faster than cartridges and it was very attractive, that was when things started to go down hill for Nintendo. They were so big for so long and had such a massive and loyal fan base that they saw no reason to change. It was really Nintendo and Sony competing, Dreamcast was in the background.

However, for reasons I will never understand Sony got tons of exclusives and and acquired new franchises while Nintendo just stuck with their own franchises that had served them well.

Now there is a problem, back when there were no other choices Nintendo had the cards, now with Microsoft and Sony with all the developers have various contracts preventing Nintendo from really growing or getting more multlplats/exclusives, unless they try to build a brand new franchise from the ground up which takes a lot of time and money, more than they seemingly want to spend.

Disclaimer: all the above are just my opinion on the matter as to why Nintendo can not and won't do what they did back in the day of NIntendo/SNES, which...I guess was nothing, since they were the only console really, so doing nothing is what they did and continue to do but are surprised it isn't working...?
---
DOOD!!! ~Prinnies
#7Akira_TakahashiPosted 6/19/2013 9:54:28 AM
InfamouslyNyce posted...

That's kind of an elitist attitude. I personally hate Bayonetta, but that doesn't mean I think I'm above someone else for enjoying it, and I'm glad that the sequel is going to be a Wii U exclusive. You don't have to play the games that the masses enjoy, but that doesn't mean you should ridicule them and say, "Sorry, but Nintendo doesn't need you."

A wider selection of games is always a good idea, even if you personally don't play them. Nintendo needs to relax their policies a bit. What they're doing isn't quality control - the third party games that have been coming out for Nintendo these past few gens have been largely poor quality. They need to get some really good devs behind them.
#8Akira_TakahashiPosted 6/19/2013 10:06:05 AM
Starwars4J posted...
jbhens posted...
3rd parties and treat them with respect and they would be good.

Please, do show me where Nintendo hasn't treated third parties with respect. Nintendo treats everyone with respect, even the individuals slinging mud at them.

Where have they treated them with respect? When they installed draconian laws in order to get your game on the NES/SNES? When they intentionally made the N64 difficult to program on in order to weed out third parties?
#9InfamouslyNycePosted 6/19/2013 10:06:56 AM
It seems a lot of people want to jump down my throat as opposed to trying to understand my post as some others did. I'm not acting elitist. I put quality in quotation marks for a reason as well, yet that wasn't understood either.

If you don't get my previous post, Nintendo could use more 3rd party titles, yes. But at the same time, these third party titles shouldn't fill the same landscape as what third parties release on the other consoles.

Meaning, it doesn't make sense to jump from random shooter 1, to random shooter 2 in less than a month. Same goes for sports, action/adventure etc...

Now, if the "quality" control was the same as it was in the past, as in the difference between double dragon and a game like tmnt turtles in time, I'm all for it. But right now the development landscape isn't like that in the slightest.
---
Nintendo Network ID: Inf4mous
#10Starwars4JPosted 6/19/2013 10:08:15 AM
Akira_Takahashi posted...
That's kind of an elitist attitude. I personally hate Bayonetta, but that doesn't mean I think I'm above someone else for enjoying it, and I'm glad that the sequel is going to be a Wii U exclusive. You don't have to play the games that the masses enjoy, but that doesn't mean you should ridicule them and say, "Sorry, but Nintendo doesn't need you."

So him saying he doesn't care about certain games means that he's elitist? Huh?

What they're doing isn't quality control - the third party games that have been coming out for Nintendo these past few gens have been largely poor quality.

Multiplats? Yes. Exclusives? Not by a long shot.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade