Why doesn't Nintendo try something they haven't done since the NES/SNES days...

#41FUsquarepantsPosted 6/19/2013 11:32:08 AM
jbhens posted...
FUsquarepants posted...
TC, i agree 100%

i have been crying about this since 2008. nintendo needs 3rd parties more than 3rd parties need nintendo. nintendo needs to start throwing money to get real quality 3rd party support. i'm not saying they should spend all their money. be smart. go after a handful of teams- bethesda, rockstar, kingdom hearts team, and bioware.

hell, even iOS is basically an alternative to 3ds now, or it will be in the next 2 yrs.

ive been saying it for the past 2 years, nintendo makes the best games but their franchises cannot and will not sustain a console. the impetus is on NINTENDO to make their own platform appealing to everyone.

remember E3 2011? remember when reggie said wii u was truly going to be for 'everyone'? worst of all they said that AT E3 where everyone was basically a 'core' gamer.

whatever, nintendo deserves everything they get with Wii U. at the end of the day the consumers will decide if this strategy of letting 3rd parties shun the wii u is wise. if i were nintendo i would work my ass off on the first party games and go after 3rd parties aggressively. make some f'n deals. get some non-nintendo AAA or even AA 3rd party stuff out.

If they would have just worked with 3rd parties and actually try to have secured some big games and actually promoted the Wii U, it could have been completely different.

THIS THIS is what i have been saying since 2008. no one would listen to me. everyone (understandably) said wii's successor would easily succeed. nintendo needed to start planting big name support for wii u. they chose not to and thought the gamepad/tablet gimmick would takeoff. huge huge misfire on their part.

forget promoting the thing. what kind of promotion do you need when your console has smash bros, mario kart, kingdom hearts 3, MGS, FFXV, elder scrolls?
---
I was at game 1 NBA FINALS 08, WMXX, WMXXV, WMXXVIII, WM XXIX, E3 06, 11. next up- E3 2013!
#42jbhens(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2013 11:37:13 AM
Their advertising has sucked for a long time now. They got lucky with the Wii and all of the free press it received. The Gamecube could have possibly been a much bigger success if they would have advertised it. Thing is, everyone knows what the Playstation and Xbox is. People don't know the Wii U exists. After about the first year and a half, I hardly ever saw advertising for the original Wii. The Gamecube had Resident Evil as an exclusive for awhile, but you sure wouldn't know it by watching TV.

If they had delayed the Wii U and worked with 3rd parties to see what they wanted out of the system and made sure the OS was decent and streamlined their online components then they could have had a hit on their hands.
#43FUsquarepantsPosted 6/19/2013 11:37:53 AM
frankly, if they truly wanted to be different, i think they should have released a big wii sports like title this holiday in place of donkey kong.

they launched wii u with a 2d mario platformer. a sequel to a game that sold 27 million units on wii. THAT game wasn't able to move wii u consoles. what does nintendo do? they announce another 2d platformer (DK TF) for the holiday a month before 3d mario platformer comes out.

i think they should have done either a more core centric title- metroid. or do wii sports like game.

it's decisions like these we will be questioning if AND IF wii u continues to struggle over the year. iwata's job is in trouble imo.
---
I was at game 1 NBA FINALS 08, WMXX, WMXXV, WMXXVIII, WM XXIX, E3 06, 11. next up- E3 2013!
#44jbhens(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2013 11:40:32 AM
FUsquarepants posted...
frankly, if they truly wanted to be different, i think they should have released a big wii sports like title this holiday in place of donkey kong.

they launched wii u with a 2d mario platformer. a sequel to a game that sold 27 million units on wii. THAT game wasn't able to move wii u consoles. what does nintendo do? they announce another 2d platformer (DK TF) for the holiday a month before 3d mario platformer comes out.

i think they should have done either a more core centric title- metroid. or do wii sports like game.

it's decisions like these we will be questioning if AND IF wii u continues to struggle over the year. iwata's job is in trouble imo.

Problem is, the people that purchased a Wii for WiiSports aren't going to buy a new system for a sequel to that game. The WiiSports/Fit series were a fad and have died out. Sure, the usual fanbase might buy them because they are fun, but the people who purchased the original Wii because of those games aren't coming back.
#45FUsquarepantsPosted 6/19/2013 11:43:46 AM
jbhens posted...
FUsquarepants posted...

Problem is, the people that purchased a Wii for WiiSports aren't going to buy a new system for a sequel to that game. The WiiSports/Fit series were a fad and have died out. Sure, the usual fanbase might buy them because they are fun, but the people who purchased the original Wii because of those games aren't coming back.

agreed but going back to the 2d platformer well again just shoehorns wii u further imo. who's going to buy the console now that DK 2d platformer is on it? don't get me wrong, i would play a 2d platformer over ANY fps anyday.

nintendo should have been bold enough to choose a side- make a more core title or go casual- see if anyone would bite. you have 3d mario as buffer in december afterall
---
#46FUsquarepantsPosted 6/19/2013 11:47:38 AM
jbhens posted...

If they had delayed the Wii U and worked with 3rd parties to see what they wanted out of the system and made sure the OS was decent and streamlined their online components then they could have had a hit on their hands.

this. just wanted this to be seen in this thread again. i still feel like that barrier of mighty nintendo and inferior 3rd parties is there. in an age where sony and MS bend over backwards for them and just straight up buy support. nintendo needs to do more for 3rd parties- nobody owes anyone anything. wii is gone. casuals are gone. nintendo, you got all their money. now use it wisely. build a real ecosystem on wii u
---
#47jbhens(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2013 12:03:09 PM
FUsquarepants posted...
jbhens posted...

this. just wanted this to be seen in this thread again. i still feel like that barrier of mighty nintendo and inferior 3rd parties is there. in an age where sony and MS bend over backwards for them and just straight up buy support. nintendo needs to do more for 3rd parties- nobody owes anyone anything. wii is gone. casuals are gone. nintendo, you got all their money. now use it wisely. build a real ecosystem on wii u

It's obvious the Nintendo rushed the Wii U out and assumed the casuals who purchased the Wii would flock to it. Problem is, the Wii didn't create any new gamers. It was a fad purchased by the hardcore Nintendo fans and a majority of people who enjoyed the concept but have since moved on.

Personally, if they would have worked with a listened to 3rd parties and designed the Wii U with them in mind and had decided to spend some of their money to get some timed exclusives, it could have done wonders. If the Wii U was launching earlier this holiday season with a better OS, streamlined online, Mario 3D World, WW HD, Pikmin 3, a Bioshock collection, GTA 5 timed exclusive, WatchDogs, and a quick look at 2014 with Mario Kart, Smash, X, Final Fantasy 15, Metal Gear, and so on it would have done wonders. Nintendo could technically spend the money and make it happen, but they won't.
#48FUsquarepantsPosted 6/19/2013 12:10:15 PM
jbhens posted...
FUsquarepants posted...
jbhens posted...

It's obvious the Nintendo rushed the Wii U out and assumed the casuals who purchased the Wii would flock to it. Problem is, the Wii didn't create any new gamers. It was a fad purchased by the hardcore Nintendo fans and a majority of people who enjoyed the concept but have since moved on.

Personally, if they would have worked with a listened to 3rd parties and designed the Wii U with them in mind and had decided to spend some of their money to get some timed exclusives, it could have done wonders. If the Wii U was launching earlier this holiday season with a better OS, streamlined online, Mario 3D World, WW HD, Pikmin 3, a Bioshock collection, GTA 5 timed exclusive, WatchDogs, and a quick look at 2014 with Mario Kart, Smash, X, Final Fantasy 15, Metal Gear, and so on it would have done wonders. Nintendo could technically spend the money and make it happen, but they won't.

They rushed wii u to release because wii was on decline. Most 3rd parties had given up on wii by 2009-2010 anyway. I think they could have gotten away with wii sports 2 and maybe galaxy 3 for wii last year. Launch wii u this year with those announcements you mentioned and it would have been a wrap.

What's that miyamoto saying? A delayed game can be good but a bad game that was rushed is bad forever. Does that apply to consoles?
---
#49darkqueenhelbaPosted 6/19/2013 12:12:43 PM
I buy systems for their exclusives. Every system has its own. I fail to see the problem? Unless you're a poor peasant incapable of purchasing them all.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#50Ryan SiPosted 6/19/2013 12:27:00 PM
Nintendo unfortunately has a habit of alienating people.

- With N64, cartridges cost them big time
- With GC, it looked like a toy, didn't sell as well as PS2, had no online and therefore didn't get as many 3rd-party games
- With Wii, the hardware was underpowered, online is terrible, motion controls (in some games) were unnecessarily tacked on
- With Wii U, hardware underpowered again, online still terrible, GamePad selling point is uninteresting and inflates the consoles price

All I see you doing TC is complaining about the obvious, but providing no solution. No s*** Nintendo needs more third-party support. It's simply not as easy as calling up a publisher and saying..."Hey Bob," it comes down to risk/reward.