Square enix says no point to develop hd games.

#41jrb363Posted 6/21/2013 8:07:12 PM
Hercik1 posted...
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201306/17035091.html

I know most of you can't read it but FF14 producer and director Naoki Yoshida was asked about development on ps4 games.

Sales on the current HD game consoles arenít even that good. Especially looking at the Japanese market, honestly there is no business merit to making HD games now.
Even considering E3, with current games looking as good as they do now to the average person, I think it will take some time for the change to the new hardware and for it to be widely accepted.

Wait...they DO realize it's 2013 right? Not 2003 where HD televisions don't really exist yet. Or have I time traveled and am back in high school again?

Seriously...WTF are they smoking?
---
I fundamentally believe that the initial market that we need to make sure we appeal to with any new platform... is really the gaming audience. - Kaz Hirai
#42demesjos2Posted 6/21/2013 8:19:46 PM
Square is trying to shift the blame for their failed business approach. Moronic budgets and taking 10 years on a game is what is destroying them. They shouldn't build a new engine for every game. They have pushed out crap for a long time and they wonder they are failing.
---
--- best commercial ever http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA
#43RetroFanGirlPosted 6/21/2013 8:22:07 PM
jrb363 posted...
Hercik1 posted...

I know most of you can't read it but FF14 producer and director Naoki Yoshida was asked about development on ps4 games.

Sales on the current HD game consoles arenít even that good. Especially looking at the Japanese market, honestly there is no business merit to making HD games now.
Even considering E3, with current games looking as good as they do now to the average person, I think it will take some time for the change to the new hardware and for it to be widely accepted.

Wait...they DO realize it's 2013 right? Not 2003 where HD televisions don't really exist yet. Or have I time traveled and am back in high school again?

Seriously...WTF are they smoking?

Obviously they mean handhelds/phones are more profitable, which they are.
---
Warning: My opinions are mod-able.
#44_Sovereign_Posted 6/21/2013 8:42:07 PM
A lot of people here saying stuff like "all games are HD now" are really missing the point....
---
I do not return to topics. I say my peace and move on. If you draw issues with what I say, then by all means, inbox me.
#45mini_blightPosted 6/21/2013 9:06:48 PM
Hercik1 posted...

So they announce FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 for two HD consoles with zero sales. lmao

Wait, I forgot the real reason for announcing those two. To help make the PS4 look like it has a healthy future. Maybe Sony will reward SE with a trophy for throwing themselves on a sword for nothing. Although they may have some strong competition from Namco and Capcom.
#46king_maddenPosted 6/21/2013 9:12:59 PM
mini_blight posted...
Hercik1 posted...

So they announce FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 for two HD consoles with zero sales. lmao

Wait, I forgot the real reason for announcing those two. To help make the PS4 look like it has a healthy future. Maybe Sony will reward SE with a trophy for throwing themselves on a sword for nothing. Although they may have some strong competition from Namco and Capcom.

while you really are trying to believe what you type arent you lol.
#47FFXIgaiaknightPosted 6/21/2013 9:17:57 PM
i guess FF14 nearly killing there company made them realize insane budgets arent needed to make a good game.
---
3DS FC: 4124-5007-1536
NNI: Gaiaknight
#48LvthnPosted 6/21/2013 9:21:42 PM
GigantLuffy posted...
This is because of Square-Enix's balls-to-the-wall r*****ed business practices. Had they not spent SO MUCH DAMN MONEY on games with heavily inflated budget(WHY THE HELL DID TOMB RAIDER NEED MP) and sequels that barely anyone asked for(XIII-2 and LR), then they might've made a PROFIT during the HD Generation. Shifting development to the next gen consoles is a very bad move for Square.

They are not EA. EA can afford to make the jump because it's financially stable. On the other hand, Square isn't. I doubt VersusXIII will merit a reasonable return on investment. Speaking of Versus XIII, Square had to rename it to Finaru Fantaji XV because the XIII brand won't be enough to cover such insane costs. It is "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within: The Game."

Pretty much this. They make games that can sell well, receive great reviews, and be considered a business failure. That tells me they're dropping the ball. Doesn't help that they're up with EA for hated brands now and have turned one of the most beloved franchises in history into a joke.
#49chrcolPosted 6/22/2013 1:50:04 AM
I really think we going to see a console gaming crash this upcoming gen.

consoles I think will be almost exclusive sports and fps genre based. other genres will be limited to pc and mobile if they survive.
#50jakestar0306Posted 6/22/2013 8:19:41 AM
_Sovereign_ posted...
A lot of people here saying stuff like "all games are HD now" are really missing the point....

And that point would be...?
---
Mega Man Powered Up is the best PSP exclusive and you know it.