Nintendo doesn't need to outsell Sony or Microsoft

#1ZeoDefenderPosted 6/20/2013 10:20:17 PM
Yes, the Wii U is failing and Nintendo needs to fix things, but they do not need to "win" the generation in order to do this. Too many fans get caught up in sales numbers as a indicator of success rather than profitability which is the true measure of success for a business. The Playstation 2 outsold the Gamecube 7-1, but the Gamecube was still more profitable. From a business perspective that means that Nintendo was the true winner of that generation.

I'm not saying that the Wii U is going to be perfectly okay, but everyone needs to remember that Nintendo's goals aren't to come in 1st place or even to make more money than the competition. It's just to remain profitable and maintain an audience to ensure future profitability. The Sega Master System "failed" compared to the NES, but it still make Sega a nice profit and gave them an entry point for the Genesis. The Wii U can be successful without winning too.

This needed to be said.
---
"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets." - The Brigadier
#2Dr_FacerPosted 6/20/2013 10:22:26 PM
Reassurance topic #9384568493002222201039485399202

If you trust Ninty so much you shouldn't worry about them not selling as many Wii U's as they'd like.

You know that as long as they have Pokemon and rule the handheld market they won't die.
#3Jacob46719Posted 6/20/2013 10:26:32 PM
ZeoDefender posted...
Yes, the Wii U is failing and Nintendo needs to fix things, but they do not need to "win" the generation in order to do this. Too many fans get caught up in sales numbers as a indicator of success rather than profitability which is the true measure of success for a business. The Playstation 2 outsold the Gamecube 7-1, but the Gamecube was still more profitable. From a business perspective that means that Nintendo was the true winner of that generation.

I'm not saying that the Wii U is going to be perfectly okay, but everyone needs to remember that Nintendo's goals aren't to come in 1st place or even to make more money than the competition. It's just to remain profitable and maintain an audience to ensure future profitability. The Sega Master System "failed" compared to the NES, but it still make Sega a nice profit and gave them an entry point for the Genesis. The Wii U can be successful without winning too.

This needed to be said.

Very well said.

Anyone who says he is delusional is an obvious troll.
---
Backlog of games: Too many unfinished games.
#4Jacob46719Posted 6/20/2013 10:27:56 PM
Dr_Facer posted...
Reassurance topic #9384568493002222201039485399203

LOL

Dr_Facer posted...
If you trust Ninty so much you shouldn't worry about them not selling as many Wii U's as they'd like.

You know that as long as they have Pokemon and rule the handheld market they won't die.

Also they have quite the amount of cash.
---
Backlog of games: Too many unfinished games.
#5JMC611Posted 6/20/2013 10:39:24 PM(edited)
They'll probably outsell both of them anyway.
I'm not sure why people think that the Ps4 and the xb1 will sell like 5 mil units on launch day. Chances are that it'll start just as slow if not slower than the Wii U. More graphical power != more sales.

Edit because gamefaqs can't handle the unequal to sign. Come on Gfaqs, step up your forum game.
#6RyuVegasPosted 6/20/2013 10:56:01 PM
2.5~ Millions Units on market already is better than the nonexistent-as-of-now sales of the X1/PS4 as they are still 6 months away.

Why do people keep talking as if those 2 console are not only already on market, but have some how magically sold 3+ Million Units already? Can I borrow you're Time Machine? I could really use one right now.
---
http://backloggery.com/ryuvega NP: NarutoStorm3, DKCR3D, LoZOracles
'I've seen Ryu on the MtG board so he's already cooler than most of you.' ~ XImperialDragon
#7Shamrock99Posted 6/20/2013 11:32:16 PM
Even if Gamecube was more profitable per unit, the PS2 was still profitable and it doesn't really matter when GCN only sold 22 million compared to PS2's 154 million. It's not the number of units that I'm really talking about here - it's that 154 million profitable units is better than 22 million profitable units.
---
http://tinyurl.com/c4sed7y | http://tinyurl.com/b59xwvj | http://tinyurl.com/a5heha2
http://www.backloggery.com/Kajicat
#8AstralFrostPosted 6/20/2013 11:46:31 PM
Wii U is selling at a loss per unit.

Fatality.
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
#9Ryan SiPosted 6/21/2013 1:18:10 AM
RyuVegas posted...
2.5~ Millions Units on market already is better than the nonexistent-as-of-now sales of the X1/PS4 as they are still 6 months away.

Why do people keep talking as if those 2 console are not only already on market, but have some how magically sold 3+ Million Units already? Can I borrow you're Time Machine? I could really use one right now.

It's called looking at the obvious writing on the wall. Nintendo fills a niche market at this point. Playstation and Xbox are powerhouse brands with more games announced 6 months out than Wii U has 6 months in.
---
Most Anticipated: Tales of Xillia (PS3), Grand Theft Auto V (PS3), Final Fantasy X HD (PS3), Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Wii U)
#10ZeoDefender(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 12:53:48 PM
Ryan Si posted...
It's called looking at the obvious writing on the wall. Nintendo fills a niche market at this point. Playstation and Xbox are powerhouse brands with more games announced 6 months out than Wii U has 6 months in.

And that's perfectly okay. Plenty of companies fill small niches and are quite successful. Nintendo can do the same.
---
"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets." - The Brigadier