Game & Wario disappoints with a 5.1 rating from IGN

#121Muljo StphoPosted 6/22/2013 8:58:04 AM(edited)
AhnoldDood posted...
kaliskonig posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
ITT: One reviewer gives a game an average score = worst game ever.

Though I really shouldn't be surprised by this behavior.

5.1 is average?

To my rating scale it is. I don't go by the belief that <8 = "awful".

It's true. Almost all gaming media and the majority of gamers would seem to disagree, but it's true.

In theory, the numbers ought to be a sliding scale between many different levels of quality. The "good" is on one end of the scale, the "bad" is on the opposite end of the scale, and there's a lot of room for some gray area in between.

In practice, it came to be thought of as being treated like grades in school, with 7/10 being defined as "average". And over the years that line has seen some inflation. 8/10 or 9/10 became the cutoff point... and there isn't really such a thing as "average" in the scale anymore. It's just a thumbs up / thumbs down system at this point. Score on the top end of the scale = "AAA hardcore bro-gamer approved!" Anything lower is seen as "stay away from this turd".

Plus, people put so much emphasis just on the scores alone (or the average of the scores). I think that what's more important, on those rare occasions anymore where I actually bother looking at some reviews of something, is actually reading the review itself and seeing their reasoning for liking or disliking certain things about a game. If a reviewer is docking major points for what sound like nitpicky non-issues to me (*****ing about graphics issues or lack of multiplayer are a couple common examples) I know that I wouldn't judge it as harshly as they did.

---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby
#122VyersPosted 6/22/2013 2:57:22 PM
ukokira1 posted...
Vyers posted...
ukokira1 posted...
Call me when we get a review from a decent site. IGN is ignorant, And Gamespot is unwieldy.

If you want to just say "I'll be the judge of that!", then do it. Don't dismiss reviews based on "oh lol it's IGN huh", because that's disingenuous to the fact that IGN, whenver a Nintendo game gets a high rating, is a perfectly fine source.

That being said, most reviewers do not like this game very well.

They have a reviewer that openly declared he hates beat-em-ups.... Reviewing beat-em-ups.

This is such a lousy argument. They also had a person who doesn't care about football management sims reviewing a football management sim, if you want another one.

Are you implying that the situation with that review applies to this review?
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!