A Mario "World" game? Are they kidding me?

#131Starwars4J(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 6:28:03 PM
scorpyin posted...
Talking about anyone who thinks they know better than the developers of any given system... Mario has a long and VERY established history, ie roots.. What I see mostly here is people complaining that Mario isn't being changed enough, yet if you check out the paper mario board for 3ds, the fans are btching its been changed too much. Like I was saying, Mario has roots, and Nintendo changing their formula for mario isn't going to help anyone, especially not their bank accounts, which is probably all they really care about. Too many fans expect to play a MARIO game when they buy Mario, so in essence the mario games cant ever really "change" or its not mario (think super mario bros 2).. Yeah, that game was pretty successful, but in terms of mario games (especially at the time), not so much..

As for complaining about lack of power ups, visuals, or whatever the hell else you people can think up instead of doing something useful with your time, once again, the game isn't actually released.. Yes, they could (but probably wont) add things into it before they actually release it. And I don't see how adding a couple of 'new gimmicky' power ups makes it any different from before, thats all mario has ever done with new games, expand upon what theyve already had.

Now im not actually trying to defend nintendo either, theyve screwed up SOOO badly ever since the gamecube, i havent bought a single thing from them except for 3DS and some games for it. This is probably ANOTHER lazy mario game (which theyve been doing since new super mario land BIG TIME) so what's the big deal? Dont like something dont buy it, don't post about it on a goddam internet forum.. Write nintendo a letter instead, its a MUCH better use of your time...

What the hell are you talking about? And who exactly are you trying to address?
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#132MilesTeg420Posted 6/21/2013 6:34:02 PM
Starwars4J posted...
scorpyin posted...
Talking about anyone who thinks they know better than the developers of any given system... Mario has a long and VERY established history, ie roots.. What I see mostly here is people complaining that Mario isn't being changed enough, yet if you check out the paper mario board for 3ds, the fans are btching its been changed too much. Like I was saying, Mario has roots, and Nintendo changing their formula for mario isn't going to help anyone, especially not their bank accounts, which is probably all they really care about. Too many fans expect to play a MARIO game when they buy Mario, so in essence the mario games cant ever really "change" or its not mario (think super mario bros 2).. Yeah, that game was pretty successful, but in terms of mario games (especially at the time), not so much..

As for complaining about lack of power ups, visuals, or whatever the hell else you people can think up instead of doing something useful with your time, once again, the game isn't actually released.. Yes, they could (but probably wont) add things into it before they actually release it. And I don't see how adding a couple of 'new gimmicky' power ups makes it any different from before, thats all mario has ever done with new games, expand upon what theyve already had.

Now im not actually trying to defend nintendo either, theyve screwed up SOOO badly ever since the gamecube, i havent bought a single thing from them except for 3DS and some games for it. This is probably ANOTHER lazy mario game (which theyve been doing since new super mario land BIG TIME) so what's the big deal? Dont like something dont buy it, don't post about it on a goddam internet forum.. Write nintendo a letter instead, its a MUCH better use of your time...

What the hell are you talking about? And who exactly are you trying to address?

This time I actually agree with Star Wars. Not sure what the point here was. Lecturing people about posting on a message board when you are doing the same thing? smh
#133MilesTeg420Posted 6/21/2013 6:51:30 PM
Starwars4J posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...
Well, I guess in your opinion NSMBU looks so plain just cause huh? Is it laziness? Is it just not caring? Im going for not technically possible for 4 players without sacrifice and give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.

Again, you postulating what might and might not be, with no basis in the field, is a laughably bad idea.

Multiple paths while locked to one screen? What are you talking about man. You honestly think every level will have the single player road and the multiplayer road? LOL. The amount of time this would take would be incredible and the levels would end up feeling really short anyway.

You...are not following. Clearly the concept of multiple paths DOES blow your mind. You can have a path that's only reachable with multiple characters playing at once. Those characters can then follow this secondary path together, which could be tailored to multiple characters. Am I saying this WILL be? Nah. I'm saying it's entirely possible and your mind doesn't seem to understand that there's more than just what you can think of.

Also no comment on boss design? Figured.

What comments do you want? Boss characteristics could, if one desired, be programmed to be different when multiple players were there. This isn't hard stuff to understand. And even if this isn't the case, then the boss would be tailored to single player and multiple players would be able to wreck it. That, of course, wouldn't be a problem to you since you like to play by yourself regardless. Single player would in no way be detracted from.

If it's not obvious to you how this forced multi hurts everything, I am glad you aren't designing games.

And I'm glad you aren't, as you lack any sort of imagination. In your little world, a game is entirely single player or entirely multiplayer. And somehow multiplayer even being possible just makes everything worse. Just because. No reasons. Just because.

Theres a reason why Portal 2 is epic in both single player and multiplayer - seperate modes.

Again, you just don't understand that having single player and multiplayer in the same exact level is just anti game design. I can't do anything where part of the screen is blocked. I can't go anywhere where the other players aren't. I can't have a boss too big because other players need to play too. It's the whole locked to a screen thing; there's a reason why games don't attempt this (although some can do it well, don't get me wrong: co-op dungeon crawlers are great).

And it's good to know that in your opinion making everything multiplayer equates to having imagination. You should contact Nintendo about your services.

Now I am genuinely looking forward to playing 3D World, but I am tempering my expectations because I know what is/isn't possible, and know what is/isn't realistic.
#134Starwars4J(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 6:58:53 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Theres a reason why Portal 2 is epic in both single player and multiplayer - seperate modes.

Hah, and here I thought it was just good game design.

Again, you just don't understand that having single player and multiplayer in the same exact level is just anti game design. I can't do anything where part of the screen is blocked. I can't go anywhere where the other players aren't. I can't have a boss too big because other players need to play too. It's the whole locked to a screen thing; there's a reason why games don't attempt this (although some can do it well, don't get me wrong: co-op dungeon crawlers are great).

You mean like this game? Good.

And it's good to know that in your opinion making everything multiplayer equates to having imagination. You should contact Nintendo about your services.

No, but when you're saying things are IMPOSSIBLE just because you can't think of another way...yeah, it comes down to just that.

Now I am genuinely looking forward to playing 3D World, but I am tempering my expectations because I know what is/isn't possible, and know what is/isn't realistic.

No, you don't know, you think. Based on nothing, I might add. A bunch of "maybe"s doesn't change the real world. I hate when people state FACTS based on their theories when they aren't even involved in the field. It's what causes so many arguments you know. Like with politics. People act like they know more than they do, think they're more knowledgable than they are. Rather than stating that they just don't know or could be wrong, they state it as a FACT. "I KNOW what is or isn't possible". No, you don't. And you should probably stop acting like you do.
---
#135MilesTeg420Posted 6/21/2013 7:12:27 PM
Starwars4J posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...

Hah, and here I thought it was just good game design.

You mean like this game? Good.

No, but when you're saying things are IMPOSSIBLE just because you can't think of another way...yeah, it comes down to just that.

No, you don't know, you think. Based on nothing, I might add. A bunch of "maybe"s doesn't change the real world. I hate when people state FACTS based on their theories when they aren't even involved in the field. It's what causes so many arguments you know. Like with politics. People act like they know more than they do, think they're more knowledgable than they are. Rather than stating that they just don't know or could be wrong, they state it as a FACT. "I KNOW what is or isn't possible". No, you don't. And you should probably stop acting like you do.

OK. I spend days designing this one intricate puzzle involving 4 players. Man, is this gonna be epic. Two players here, one here, one here. They have to do this, this, and this to get by.

Single player - stroll right through as if this puzzle didn't take time and effort to create. Or some gimped version that either happens by itself or is completely avoidable in single player. How is that a good use of time and resources? Which is why you shouldn't be expecting anything more than point A to point B.

And it's obvious when people start talking politics (not the first time I've seen you do this) on a videogame board, you've gotten under their skin or they just don't have any further to say that's relevant.
#136mini_blightPosted 6/21/2013 7:14:08 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...

You danced around the multiplayer issue by saying SMW wasn't 3D. How does that even make sense? You have also danced around the issue of 3D Mario being a graphical showpiece for every Nintendo hardware ever, with the exception of Wii U.

I danced around your dance claiming SMW not having multiplayer means 3D World will suck. I told you SMW wasn't 3D, or had Peach and Toad, either. Not that it matters since 2D Land and World aren't 3D Land and World.

Nobody thought SMW was baby Sonic. Maybe Sega fanboys, but everyone who wasn't a blinded fanboy knew it was a clear upgrade to NES. 3D World looks like a downgrade from a Wii game, purely because of how simple it looks. Wow, it's 1080p! Not hard to do when all the levels are filled with shiny cubes and there's nothing demanding going on at all.

I didn't say baby Sonic. Who's dancing now? Yes, SMW was a clear upgrade. Duh. This was before diminishing returns became a reality. Look at everything at E3 that wasn't FMV/CG. Diminishing returns gonna diminish.

And there was nothing demanding going on in all the black/empty space surrounding everything in Galaxy, either. You're judging 3D World based on footage of the earliest world in the game. What makes you think the whole game will be nothing but shiny cubes or simple?

Your opinion on Land is debateable - theres plenty of people who would say it's crap. 3D Land is generally highly praised.

I didn't know the concept was created for Wii U first, but the fact remains that 3D Land came out two years ago when 3D World comes out. It's tough for you to tell me something was made for Wii U when that version releases two years later.

Plenty of trolls will think that. Especially when they turn out to be Sony fanboys in disguise. The idea for these games were decided on around the same time, so it's like getting Galaxy 1 and 2.

I'm tired of arguing with blind fanboys and called a troll. I've owned every Nintendo home console. I got N64, Gamecube, Wii, 3DS, and Wii U at launch. I've given more money to Nintendo than you have probably made in a years work (if you are old enough to work of course).

Just because I'm disappointed with the game doesn't mean I'm a fanboy. Frankly I'm getting tired of going around in circles with you people who just give one liners in response to paragraphs, miss the point constantly, ingore everything but a certain sentence, and ask new questions instead of explaining their opinion rationally. I've already said multi hurts single player and vice versa, no one has a response, instead they pretend that point doesn't exist. Boring and pointless to keep this discussion going on my part.

Complaining about multi hurting single player is moot when most games have it now. Having three less characters running around isn't going to beef up the game's visuals much. The stages are roomy enough for single or multi.

And if you don't want invisible multiplayer walls stopping you then play it by yourself. Plenty of people have with NSMBWii/U.
#137Starwars4J(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 7:28:31 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
OK. I spend days designing this one intricate puzzle involving 4 players. Man, is this gonna be epic. Two players here, one here, one here. They have to do this, this, and this to get by.

Single player - stroll right through as if this puzzle didn't take time and effort to create. Or some gimped version that either happens by itself or is completely avoidable in single player. How is that a good use of time and resources? Which is why you shouldn't be expecting anything more than point A to point B.

Or there's a separate puzzle for the one-player route. Though I have no idea why we're even talking about this as Mario games have never been about puzzles, just pure gameplay that wouldn't have a problem with one or 4 players. Kinda makes your entire argument moot.

And it's obvious when people start talking politics (not the first time I've seen you do this) on a videogame board, you've gotten under their skin or they just don't have any further to say that's relevant.

I'm not talking politics, I'm saying that LIKE with politics, when people talk like they know what they're talking about and don't (you), it causes unnecessary arguments. Was that really so hard for you to comprehend? I know you wish you'd gotten under my skin, but I think this entire topic has shown quite the opposite :) I'm still getting a laugh out of "forced multiplayer" that multiple users called you out on haha
---
#138Golden MavenPosted 6/21/2013 7:38:16 PM
I don't remember anyone complaining about Super Mario World or bringing up Mario Land when discussing it... Some people preferred Mario 3 for the NES, that's true... But I personally never heard anyone say that Mario World is lazy or shallow. Everyone who got a SNES was happily playing it to the end.

Hyperbole is strong.
#139MilesTeg420Posted 6/21/2013 7:40:30 PM
Starwars4J posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...

Or there's a separate puzzle for the one-player route. Though I have no idea why we're even talking about this as Mario games have never been about puzzles, just pure gameplay that wouldn't have a problem with one or 4 players. Kinda makes your entire argument moot.

I'm not talking politics, I'm saying that LIKE with politics, when people talk like they know what they're talking about and don't (you), it causes unnecessary arguments. Was that really so hard for you to comprehend? I know you wish you'd gotten under my skin, but I think this entire topic has shown quite the opposite :) I'm still getting a laugh out of "forced multiplayer" that multiple users called you out on haha

I'm still laughing because you cling to words and sentence structure as your agruements. Pretty lol worthy. Like talking to a robot.

Yeah, I'll just design another puzzle. Heck, I'll design four puzzles for every level. And guess what? I'm making 80 levels. My game is due out in 2020 and less than 1/4 of buyers will get the full experience.

So, you got any ideas how this multi is going to improve things? Since it has to be able to be done single player too. I want to hear these new, fresh, imaginative and original mulltiplayer ideas! It's not like SM3DW's whole concept wasn't possible on N64 (hint - it was and no one bothered).
#140Starwars4J(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 7:49:21 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
I'm still laughing because you cling to words and sentence structure as your agruements. Pretty lol worthy. Like talking to a robot.

You're laughing that I called you out on your nonsense? Okay!

Yeah, I'll just design another puzzle. Heck, I'll design four puzzles for every level. And guess what? I'm making 80 levels. My game is due out in 2020 and less than 1/4 of buyers will get the full experience.

Less than 1/4? Can you source that either? lmao every other word that comes out of you is just complete nonsense. You can't back up anything that you say.

So, you got any ideas how this multi is going to improve things? Since it has to be able to be done single player too. I want to hear these new, fresh, imaginative and original mulltiplayer ideas! It's not like SM3DW's whole concept wasn't possible on N64 (hint - it was and no one bothered).

You don't need to hear them from me, you'll see it for yourself in a few months! And actually...wow, you were wrong YET AGAIN. It in fact wasn't possible on the N64, they wanted to include multiplayer in Mario 64 but were unable to do it from a technical standpoint.

"Ever since Super Mario 64, we've always wanted to create a multiplayer 3D Mario game, but there were lots of challenges and I feel like now we've gotten to the point where we've come up with the perfect expression, which is a very satisfying multiplayer experience in a 3D Mario world."
http://www.polygon.com/e3-2013/2013/6/13/4412902/super-mario-3d-world

Another swing and a miss!
---