Isn't Square Enix pretty much dead?

#41Tsutarja495Posted 6/21/2013 6:43:35 PM
While I don't like the direction they are taking with Dragon Quest now, I would still like a few more FF spinoffs from them. Maybe another Chocobo's Dungeon, or Tactics A3.

One more thing, Bravely Default looks good, and they at least helped out with that, but it sucks that Nintendo had to step in to publish it outside of Japan like DQ6 DS and DQ9.
#42IdunnomynamePosted 6/21/2013 6:50:55 PM
Obsidus posted...
Square has been dead to me since Matsuno left.

This, and them owning the rights to the Ogre Battle series, but not doing anything worthwhile with it apart from the PSP remake (which was good, but I'd rather see a new continuation of the story which was supposed to be 9 books. We only got 3 of them plus two gaiden stories.)
---
"What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women. That is good!"
#43Stefan1277Posted 6/21/2013 6:55:34 PM
Just like a lot of Western devs, they forgot what makes a game good, what makes a game... well, a game and have gone through the "AAA" formula of pretty graphics over everything else on a short game = big money.
---
I'm a ninja. (You can't see me)
http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=38434
#44Fou LuPosted 6/21/2013 7:12:35 PM
Yes, their whole company is actually riding on FF14 not failing. If it does, goodbye, Square Enix.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#45KaiKun91Posted 6/21/2013 7:13:21 PM
Stefan1277 posted...
Just like a lot of Western devs, they forgot what makes a game good, what makes a game... well, a game and have gone through the "AAA" formula of pretty graphics over everything else on a short game = big money.

Exactly the reason why. Although I also believe the people change. No matter how much RPG is there or how good it is, people rather buy them FPS crap,
#46Lelouch71Posted 6/21/2013 7:15:40 PM
GodofLaziness posted...
FF13 looked incredible, look how well that game was recieved.

Different team buddy. Not to mention FFXV is nowhere near as linear. I wasn't all that interested in FFXIII in the first place. However, FFXV (well Versus back then) always interested me more. Now that Tabata the man responsible for Type 0 and Crisis Core is added to team Nomura and Nojima I have nothing to worry about. Hell I have nothing to worry about as far as gameplay goes due Nomura's work in KH.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#47lordofthenlpplePosted 6/21/2013 7:17:44 PM(edited)
FF14 was their biggest mistake. Their overseas assets helped bury their financials even further. Only FF is profitable. But it costs so much to make and advertise that its a bit pyrrhic. 14 is going to bomb no matter what now. There next hope lies with FF 15 which looks to be a miss too.
---
Liu Ye the Magnificent
#48Prince ShondronaiPosted 6/21/2013 7:29:30 PM
Lelouch71 posted...
GodofLaziness posted...
FF13 looked incredible, look how well that game was recieved.

Different team buddy.

Still doesn't necessarily mean it'll be fun, or make enough money to pay for everything spent making it look so pretty.
---
One of us. One of us. One of us.
#49LoneCourier2281Posted 6/21/2013 7:32:33 PM
Those people left long before it merged with Enix.
---
Currently playing Lunar: Dragon Song, Xenoblade Chronicles, FFVII, and White Knight Chronicles.
#50Robot_SoopaPosted 6/21/2013 7:37:27 PM
PangLa posted...
Pretty funny, you guys are kinda also describing Nintendo right now.

lol

Nintendo is nowhere near dead. Nintendo hasn't "lost" their way. They're not making extremely over-budget games that fail to make a profit.

If anything Nintendo is one of the few big names left that still knows how to do it right.
---
FC: 1590 - 5604 - 5229