The Future of Nintendo Game Development

#1StickMen1090Posted 6/21/2013 4:20:55 PM
Our discussion ranged from Pikmin 3 to Mario to F-Zero, but as we touched upon different franchises, Miyamoto repeatedly touched upon a common theme: Nintendo must directly oversee any project involving its brands, and if it must increase the size of its teams around the world, so be it.

"We've been working on what we can do to increase our internal staff in a way that will allow us to have more projects going at the same time," Miyamoto said, when I had asked him about why some franchises like Wave Race and F-Zero seem trapped in past generations. Miyamoto noted that an increase in size will allow Nintendo to not only create new games but watch over older IPs that fans clearly still want.

... in response to many fans asking why Retro is working on Donkey Kong and not Metroid, Miyamoto offered this curious comment: "Certainly we do feel that we want to leverage the capabilities of Retro Studios further, because as we've seen from the Metroid games, they're a very capable studio."

"In the past, we had what we called the collaboration projects, which were sort of like an outside company almost doing a cover of our games with their own studios. The determination that we’ve come to more recently is that we prefer to have an internal Nintendo producer who’s there to oversee any outside development work that’s happening, to make sure that it’s in line with what we expect out of our games," Miyamoto said.

Nintendo is focusing on internally-driven development at a time when it needs more software support than ever. That's simply a fascinating choice to make. It speaks to the publisher's belief that its commitment to quality and its specific view of game design is paramount, even when that commitment results in delays or gaps in releases.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=599661
---
3DS FC: 2063-0061-2915
#2KingTurtPosted 6/21/2013 4:24:40 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3zatOMGPosted 6/21/2013 4:39:26 PM(edited)
I'm sure I'll be labeled a fanboy or a fool, but I think this is really cool. It seems that, though they are a business in pursuit of money, they still have a passion for the medium. A belief that "doing the right thing" still leads to the results you want or desire.
#4KingTurtPosted 6/21/2013 4:40:01 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#5wombatkiddPosted 6/21/2013 4:43:49 PM
KingTurt posted...
zatOMG posted...
Touch my Dong.

When did zat say that?
---
---
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."