Super excited for X

#11ElectricMolePosted 6/21/2013 6:49:58 PM
Piloting a Gear that transforms and driving and flying through the vast world sound like my kind of fun.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#12iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 7:06:17 PM
FenderMaster posted...
No interest at all in X. Looks like another JRPG with boring repetitive combat, anime stereotypes and a large scale.

You must hate good games.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board
#13Zero280Posted 6/21/2013 7:12:44 PM
iKhanic posted...
FenderMaster posted...
No interest at all in X. Looks like another JRPG with boring repetitive combat, anime stereotypes and a large scale.

my thoughts exactly.
---
3DS Friend Code 5069-3942-1786
#14FenderMasterPosted 6/21/2013 7:33:14 PM
Zero280 posted...
iKhanic posted...
FenderMaster posted...

my thoughts exactly.

I hate JRPG's with turn based and/or menu driven combat and /or generic anime storylines. If there's a teenage emo haircut hero out to save the world, then I'm out...

I ****ing love good games!
---
http://www.jvp-boston.org
#15Zero280Posted 6/21/2013 7:38:40 PM
FenderMaster posted...
Zero280 posted...
iKhanic posted...
FenderMaster posted...

my thoughts exactly.

I hate JRPG's with turn based and/or menu driven combat and /or generic anime storylines. If there's a teenage emo haircut hero out to save the world, then I'm out...

Just curious what kind of games you like then?
---
3DS Friend Code 5069-3942-1786
#16manmousePosted 6/21/2013 7:39:20 PM
FenderMaster posted...

the whole thing that separated Takahashi's work from Square's mainstream FF series is that Takahashi's style is more of a deconstruction of anime cliches. to use Xenogears as an example, you begin with the cliche'd attacked hometown and reluctant hero, but it slowly evolves into something more akin to a David Lynch movie meets Arthur C Clarke book, where mental illness becomes a key narrative tool in how you experience the story, and different ancient religious ideas (mostly from Gnosticism) are explored with some actual well-read background (unlike other RPGs which just tie in world religions by naming summons and bosses after gods).

and then Xenosaga went even deeper into Gnosticism to the heaviest degree, and the style went even less FF based and went even more towards a "space opera" style like Asimov's Foundation series, and took even more influence from other scifi (specifically Arthur C Clarke, this time more 2001: A Space Odyssey than Xenogears' big Childhood's End influence) novels this time around.

and also this time the main final antagonist was less of a villain and the final conflict is less "good vs evil" and more of a deciding moment where the two opposing sides must decide between two outcomes that are both "ugly" but philosophically sound given the options: whether to collapse the universe before it forever dies and reboot it into a complete repeat only to be collapsed and repeated again at the same time for eternity with no threat of destruction (IE the Gnostic idea of eternal recurrence), or to allow it to age on while millions of star systems perish forever and billions of humans die with no more "recurrence" safeguard to ever reboot it again and simply having faith that the few who survive can live well in the new unrepeated era (since it'd be the first era ever to not have been infinitely repeated along a fixed course) and handle the imbalanced, unstable, self-destructing universe.

overall, Takahashi's too accomplished, and far too influenced by western science fiction, for his work to be lumped in as anime cliches.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#17FenderMasterPosted 6/22/2013 7:30:30 AM
Zero280 posted...
FenderMaster posted...
Zero280 posted...
iKhanic posted...
FenderMaster posted...

my thoughts exactly.

Just curious what kind of games you like then?

Oh, you know... duude bro fps, sports games, guitar hero, the classics, you know?
---
#18FenderMasterPosted 6/22/2013 7:32:39 AM
manmouse posted...
FenderMaster posted...

the whole thing that separated Takahashi's work from Square's mainstream FF series is that Takahashi's style is more of a deconstruction of anime cliches. to use Xenogears as an example, you begin with the cliche'd attacked hometown and reluctant hero, but it slowly evolves into something more akin to a David Lynch movie meets Arthur C Clarke book, where mental illness becomes a key narrative tool in how you experience the story, and different ancient religious ideas (mostly from Gnosticism) are explored with some actual well-read background (unlike other RPGs which just tie in world religions by naming summons and bosses after gods).

and then Xenosaga went even deeper into Gnosticism to the heaviest degree, and the style went even less FF based and went even more towards a "space opera" style like Asimov's Foundation series, and took even more influence from other scifi (specifically Arthur C Clarke, this time more 2001: A Space Odyssey than Xenogears' big Childhood's End influence) novels this time around.

and also this time the main final antagonist was less of a villain and the final conflict is less "good vs evil" and more of a deciding moment where the two opposing sides must decide between two outcomes that are both "ugly" but philosophically sound given the options: whether to collapse the universe before it forever dies and reboot it into a complete repeat only to be collapsed and repeated again at the same time for eternity with no threat of destruction (IE the Gnostic idea of eternal recurrence), or to allow it to age on while millions of star systems perish forever and billions of humans die with no more "recurrence" safeguard to ever reboot it again and simply having faith that the few who survive can live well in the new unrepeated era (since it'd be the first era ever to not have been infinitely repeated along a fixed course) and handle the imbalanced, unstable, self-destructing universe.

overall, Takahashi's too accomplished, and far too influenced by western science fiction, for his work to be lumped in as anime cliches.

Now this does sound interesting, but the past Xeno games i've played (Xenogears, Xenosaga 2 Jenseits Vov Gut and Bose (+DVD story of Epsisode 1) left me cold, I just found the storytelling, dialogue and direction to be lacking
---
#19Nok_Su_KowPosted 6/22/2013 7:49:30 AM
Have they shown any of the character faces? I remember the big anime face from the reveal trailer and thought it clashed with the style. Faces should look like FF15 with how detailed everything looks.
#20cavebear56Posted 6/22/2013 9:23:22 AM
NCPwn posted...
alamazing1234 posted...
I hated Xenoblade and it's dumbed down MMO combat. They seem to have stuck with it as opposed to going fully real time in X so I'm going to avoid it like the plague.

This. If I wanted to play an MMO I'd do a proper one with PvP or at least play with friends.

If I wanted to play a game where I play against or with others on a meaningful and quality level I would play UMvC3, DotA 2, Injustice, Payday, Killing Floor, L4D 1/2, Torchlight 2 or even Marvel Heroes.

Otherwise sure, I'd play dumbed down versions of what quality games offer...or what you call an MMO.

On topic:

I'm watching it. I like what I've seen but still need more information before I commit to something like that.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.