Nintendo Wii U's innovative tablet controller is not so unique anymore.

#91Nerreltron9000Posted 6/24/2013 3:56:31 PM
king_madden posted...
remote play was talked about before wiiU even came out

No sh*t? This may shock you, but companies don't have to wait until their competitor's products release to begin copying them.

I have a feeling I'm going too fast for you, so here's a timeline to make things clearer:

Spring 2011: Wii U officially unveiled. Sony and Microsoft begin considering responses to the gamepad.
Fall 2011: Sony shows first rough glimpses of Vita remote play.
e3 2012: Microsoft announces Smartglass, Sony shows off a more developed remote play.
November 2012: Wii U releases.

The general consensus of non-morons was that this was an obvious response to the Wii U.

“With Wii, when we brought out motion controls ...Three years later, our competitors both came out with their own motion control systems.
We announced second screen gaming last year, and it’s somewhat flattering that it only took people a year this time around.” -Scott Moffitt.
- http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/12/nintendo-flattered-by-xbox-smart-glass/

"Xbox 360's SmartGlass Takes a Shot at Wii U" -http://www.1up.com/news/xbox-36-smartglass-takes-shot-wii-u

"Xbox SmartGlass: did Microsoft just render the Wii U controller obsolete?" -http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/xbox-smartglass-editorial-microsoft-competing-wii-u-controller/

“Xbox SmartGlass Makes Wii U Irrelevant” -http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/04/xbox-smartglass-makes-wii-u-irrelevant/

its too late/early to highlight the numerous mistakes in your response

What a lame cop out. If you don't have an argument, don't post.

but ill say anything that the ps4 and xbox1 has was more than likely in the works for years, they didnt wait to see what nintendo did and then copy. again why copy something that isnt selling, or you dont know if it will sell?
We've already been over this. They started copying the pad before Wii U went on sale, and the purpose wasn't to get in on something popular but to undercut the Wii U's best feature to dissuade potential customers.

Look at the last few articles I linked to above. That reaction is exactly the purpose of Smartglass and Vita remote play; to make people think that the Wii U has no advantage over the competitor's consoles.

sony is doing something with the vita that was rumored years ago before wiiU

Prove it. Give me a link that shows Sony talking about off TV play before the Wii U's announcement in 2011. It'll probably take you some time, because it never happened.
#92king_maddenPosted 6/24/2013 4:26:41 PM
http://psp.about.com/od/pspbasics/ht/use-remote-play-psp-ps3.htm

well this is how you use remote play for psp with the ps3, but its from 2009 or 10 i believe, will that do? you can play ps1 games i believe a very limited library, but it was possible.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/The-Unofficial-PS3-PSP-Remote-Play-Compatibility-Thread-UPDATED/td-p/27613226

hers a topic from 2009 telling you games that can be played with remote play.

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/features/ps_ps3_connectivity.html

sony saying themselves that you can use remote play with psp to ps3. im fairly certain the pspgo in the picture came out before 2011.

either way all of these links are from before 2011. and i believe this was available back in 2008, but you couldve googled all of this yourself.

i suggest you pick your face up off the floor, you're inhaling dirt......
#93Waggy17Posted 6/24/2013 5:32:12 PM
king_madden posted...
Waggy17 posted...
king_madden posted...

i will say this though, the share button and mouse pad arent really forced on you, since you dont HAVE to use them.

GamePad then technically isn't "forced," as I can start up my Wii U and play games without touching my GamePad once.

its forced in the sense that you HAVE to use it unless you go and buy extra accessories. thats what i mean by forced in a video game sense, you arent "technically" forced any of it because everything is optional. thats like someone saying "with ps4 i dont have to use a ds4, i can wait until a 3rd party controller come out". they are right, but thats what the company is pushing(force) you to use.

You can spin it that way... or, you could point out that the DS3 can't be used on the PS4, but the Wii Remotes and pretty much every accessory from the Wii can be used for the Wii U as well, so many Wii U owners don't have to spring for extra accessories if they don't want to be stuck with the GamePad. However, if you want more than one controller for the PS4, you HAVE to go buy extra controllers. Also, if you want the Sony and/or Microsoft's second screen options, you HAVE to make another purchase.
---
PSN/NNID - Waggy777
http://www.youtube.com/user/waggystg
#94king_maddenPosted 6/24/2013 5:37:51 PM
Waggy17 posted...
king_madden posted...
Waggy17 posted...
king_madden posted...

i will say this though, the share button and mouse pad arent really forced on you, since you dont HAVE to use them.

GamePad then technically isn't "forced," as I can start up my Wii U and play games without touching my GamePad once.

its forced in the sense that you HAVE to use it unless you go and buy extra accessories. thats what i mean by forced in a video game sense, you arent "technically" forced any of it because everything is optional. thats like someone saying "with ps4 i dont have to use a ds4, i can wait until a 3rd party controller come out". they are right, but thats what the company is pushing(force) you to use.

You can spin it that way... or, you could point out that the DS3 can't be used on the PS4, but the Wii Remotes and pretty much every accessory from the Wii can be used for the Wii U as well, so many Wii U owners don't have to spring for extra accessories if they don't want to be stuck with the GamePad. However, if you want more than one controller for the PS4, you HAVE to go buy extra controllers. Also, if you want the Sony and/or Microsoft's second screen options, you HAVE to make another purchase.

most people already have a cell phone or tablet though, so you dont HAVE to go buy something for a second screen.

gamepad is still what wiiU is focused on and was suppose to be the big draw for it. I think even nintendo would admit if people preferred not to even use the thing, that can signal a failure on their part.
#95SkyCrackersPosted 6/24/2013 5:46:43 PM
The gamepad was never, ever innovative. The DS did dual screen and touchscreen, and the 3DS and WM+ did gyroscopic controls. The gamepad brings nothing new to the table.
---
"Darwin gave us sensory organs for a purpose" -my friend, demonstrating his understanding of evolution
#96Ryan SiPosted 6/24/2013 6:21:30 PM
The PS3 has had remote play for awhile, before Wii U was announced. What now?
---
Most Anticipated: Tales of Xillia (PS3), Grand Theft Auto V (PS3), Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Wii U)
#97Nerreltron9000Posted 6/24/2013 6:45:20 PM
king_madden posted...

well this is how you use remote play for psp with the ps3, but its from 2009 or 10 i believe, will that do? you can play ps1 games i believe a very limited library, but it was possible.

I give you credit for proving that there was a link between the PSP and PS3 (I had only heard about Vita connectivity), but the "remote play" referenced in those links is very different than the remote play Sony is offering now. Off-TV play was not the focus; the PSP was primarily used to power the system on remotely and access music and movies. As you said, only an extremely limited selection of PS1 games could be played remotely and compatibility was so minimal that it clearly wasn't well supported.

The idea that you can remotely play current-gen games off TV didn't become the core of Sony's remote play function until after the Wii U, similar to how the Move didn't become a priority until after the Wii. But I suppose your point still stands; well done. :)

My main reason in arguing about this is because it seems like people have a vendetta against the Wii U and don't want it to get credit for a single feature. It's already less powerful then the next gen systems, has no games and is selling horribly; why people feel the need to convince themselves that contrived systems like Smartglass and Vita play are better than the gamepad on top of that is beyond me. You can bash the Wii U while still admitting it has the best off TV streaming, just fine.
#98FenderMasterPosted 6/24/2013 6:51:33 PM
It was never very innovative. It adds about as much to gaming as the Kinect or SIXAXIS did... Most 3DS games just ignore the second screen or relegate it to non gameplay function, most WiiU games are doing the same.
---
http://www.jvp-boston.org
#99Nerreltron9000Posted 6/24/2013 7:22:25 PM
FenderMaster posted...
Most 3DS games just ignore the second screen or relegate it to non gameplay function, most WiiU games are doing the same.

The difference being that the 3DS didn't have to dramatically sacrifice its hardware to include the second screen or stream a signal to it. The Wii U has a much bigger burden to make the second screen worthwhile but Nintendo doesn't seem to care about it at all.
#100toma13Posted 6/24/2013 7:39:44 PM
Honestly, I think that any person who calls the gamepad a tablet has never used it. In function, it's nothing like a tablet at all. It's more like the bottom half of a giant DS. Tablets are flat and thin so they can be shoved in a briefcase. The gamepad is thick and contoured to be held like a traditional game controller.

Smartglass can't do the same thing because phones and tablets don't have buttons. The nicest thing about the gamepad isn't the touchscreen, but the ability to use a second screen embedded within a traditional controller. Smartglass completely loses that aspect.

Vita+PS4 is a better comparison, but that's a much more expensive combo, and the Vita is a much tougher sell than the PS4 is. Most PS4 owners won't have that combo, while every Wii U owner has a gamepad.
---
Username for pretty much everything: BngryBt