Super Mario 3D World is a more "real" Mario game than SM64 or Sunshine

#61Seifer_usPosted 6/23/2013 9:24:59 PM
Soanevalcke6 posted...
3D Land was definitely a hell of a lot better than 64 and Sunshine.

I want some of whatever you're smoking.

Seriously, there are a lot of good reasons to be less than enthused about the direction Mario games are going. First, let's try to take a look at how the series evolved:

- The original Super Mario Bros. was completely linear and stages lacked any kind of theming and simply followed in succession with a marginal increase in difficulty. Super Mario Bros. 3 introduced themed worlds and enemies that gave each area a unique identity.

- Mario 3 also removed the staple flagpole in favor of a rotating slot box, and allowed players access to a map screen and item box which opened up gameplay options and different methods of progression.

- Super Mario World added to that sense of freedom of progression by having multiple branching paths and allowing cleared stages to be revisited.

- Super Mario 64 became even more focused on freedom, to the point that you could switch back and forth between various stages at any time and have new objectives available.

The way I see it, is that the Mario series has continuously changed in favor of giving the player a sense of freedom and more of a non-linear experience. Keep in mind that I've been playing Mario games since the original Mario Bros. in arcades.

The New Super Mario Bros. games eschew a lot of that freedom in favor of nostalgia, which was fine for a single installment, but keep in mind that we've had five games in this style now. We've had five games, with little really changing between them and even with the sense of freedom limited even further in Super Mario 3D Land by making the maps completely linear. Now, 3D Land at least offered a new perspective, but the theming was gone and everything just seemed to be randomly connected. Not to mention, they still stuck to the whole flagpole and three gold coins thing. Why? Why are they sticking to this model so fiercely?

At any rate, it would seem that Mario is heretofore going to avoid the constant innovation that kept each new main installment fresh, and simply pander to nostalgia. If you're okay with that, then that's great for you, but some of us are less than pleased and have every right to voice our opinions as well.
---
Official Noctis of the Kingdom Hearts III Board
PSN ID: Shawnji Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#62Masterpain22Posted 6/23/2013 10:09:29 PM
I think that Seifer got it in this last message, I see it in a similar way.

In response to the original post, I really liked 3D land, and anyone who complained about it I could understand their point of view but that didn't detract from the fun I had, and thus I think that 3D world can turn out to be a good game as well. With that being said, SM64 was a great way to see Mario and Nintendo once again showing new things, being an example to follow in the gaming world, and being a system seller right off the bat.

Nintendo always had ways to impress everyone with how inventive and original they could be, and in consequence SM64 was an example of a 'real' Mario entry, it was new but it still felt like a Mario game.

Going back to 2D can be cool, I for instance wish that Castlevania went back to how it was before the Metroidvania and newer action games and I like the MegaMan 9 and 10 entries, but the New SM games felt very uninspired to me. It wasn't like going from SMB to SMB3 to SMW, instead it was just taking stuff from before and changing it a little.

SM3DW looks cool to me, but I hope they add enough new stuff to it, and I don't see any need to call SM64 any less 'real' despite of what the 3D game does.
---
PSN: Orca22