Would it have killed Nintendo to make the Wii U a bit more powerful?

#51Ryan-06Posted 6/24/2013 3:57:51 AM
Oni_Taedo posted...
If the PS4 is meant to be this super powered, technical marvel, why has every trailer for every PS4 game so far been pre-rendered, or was running on hardware that is "equivalent" to the PS4?

Someone CLEARLY doesn't know what he's talking about. Speak to Guerrilla. see their presentations. dummy. Killzone is real time. Drive club is real ****ing time.
check yourself before you wreck yourself. Save the humiliation.
---
http://i.imgur.com/AJS7VHe.gif
Born New England. Lived in Japan. Citizen of Earth.
#52MuZemikePosted 6/24/2013 4:04:29 AM
Not that Nintendo did not make Wii U powerful.
It is that Nintendo COULD NOT make Wii U powerful.
Nintendo simple does not have enough technological skill to compete with Sony and MS.
#53Neo_HeartlessPosted 6/24/2013 4:47:43 AM
Ryan-06 posted...
Oni_Taedo posted...
If the PS4 is meant to be this super powered, technical marvel, why has every trailer for every PS4 game so far been pre-rendered, or was running on hardware that is "equivalent" to the PS4?

Someone CLEARLY doesn't know what he's talking about. Speak to Guerrilla. see their presentations. dummy. Killzone is real time. Drive club is real ****ing time.
check yourself before you wreck yourself. Save the humiliation.

Yes, lets ignore years of Sony bullshots and completely believe that they'll be totally legit this time guys!

MuZemike posted...
Not that Nintendo did not make Wii U powerful.
It is that Nintendo COULD NOT make Wii U powerful.
Nintendo simple does not have enough technological skill to compete with Sony and MS.

This man gets it, in a roundabout way at least. Nintendo know what for some inane reason no one wants to admit: That in a technological equivalent 3 way race someone loses. Badly. It killed Sega, and if Nintendo had kept going like they were with the N64 and Gamecube it would have damaged them badly. Now they aim to be the second horse, the console people get in addition to their primary console. It worked with the Wii, but the WiiU has shown just how fickle people can be.

And despite Nintendo's mountains of money, they don't have the financial clout to take the risks Sony and Microsoft do. Microsoft makes mountains of cash too, so they are fine, and despite all the doom and gloom of Sony they are too big to fail, the Japanese government would never let it happen, much like how the UK Government propped up the banks in the financial crisis.

And you know, despite the poor hardware of the Wii, it still produced some visually stunning games like Super Mario Galaxy because, you know, Nintendo knows that a good artstyle can help things stand out.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#54Sk2k52Posted 6/24/2013 8:02:13 AM
People overhype how low the ram is, and don't seem to have a concept of how much RAM a actual game uses. Pretty much all games uses under 1GB of ram, with a few going SLIGHTLY over, but I've yet to see more then 200-300mb. Nintendo meanwhile has 2gb of RAM. 1gb dedicated to OS, 1gb to games.

If next gen games become more demanding, nintendo can easily free up half the OS reserved ram for video games, and it's also possible to add additional ram via USB, similar to how the N64 had a memory upgrade pack.

As for power, we cannot yet say how good the PS4/xbone will look as no footage has come out that was impressively different than ps3, and not prerendered, and the wii u is more powerful than both consoles.
---
http://14thLord.blogspot.com/
Anime Conventions, Movies, and Game reviews, gogo!
#55Neo_HeartlessPosted 6/24/2013 8:05:31 AM
Sk2k52 posted...
If next gen games become more demanding, nintendo can easily free up half the OS reserved ram for video games, and it's also possible to add additional ram via USB, similar to how the N64 had a memory upgrade pack.

Can they? Would they not be limited by the speed of USB2.0? I guess it could be used in some way as storage for levels and the such.

I dunno, it just sounds way to close to downloading more RAM to me.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#56DarthFloatyPosted 6/24/2013 8:14:17 AM
CyricsServant posted...
b1gt0ne posted...
Skipjockey posted...
Adding some more ram to the system as well as a better processor would have really helped the Wii U stay in league with the other consoles.

It already does amazing graphics

Only if you only owned a Wii last gen.

From what I can see, it has average graphics capabilities . . . and we're on the cusp of the launch of the PS4/Xbone with PCs only getting better.

Still, I understand the modest jump in power from a first party perspective. Nintendo needs time to adapt to a new game design model. As SE found out, it's tough, time consuming, and expensive to make the jump from SD to HD.

I owned a PS3. And the upcoming Wii U games look better than many/all PS3 games graphically speaking (specifically Mario Kart 8, "X", and perhaps Pikmin 3).

That said, I'd have been a bit happier if the Wii U had 4 GB DDR3 RAM and a slightly better (~$40 more) GPU. It couldn't run open world games quite on the PS41box level, but it could have produced very similarly looking graphics in that situatiuon. As is, I expect Wii U games to look somewhat worse, although still awesome.
#57ShankspearePosted 6/24/2013 8:15:26 AM
Jackal posted...
userfrigginame posted...
greatone101 posted...
userfrigginame posted...
First off, they don't care about competing with the other consoles. .

No they do care about who they are competing against and if anyone thinks otherwise they are an idiot.

Right... cuz that's been soo apparent for awhile. Maybe to a microscopic degree, but their decision-making is hardly dependent on what the other guys are doing. Sony and Microsoft? Those are the guys who are really competing with each other and know it very well.

As long as Nintendo is making game console they are competing against others in the same market. Just because Nintendo uses that excuse to blow off their inadequacies doesn't make it true. They are a gaming company. As most of you like to point out, gaming is all they do and have unlike Sony and MS. So how are they not competing with any other company making in the gaming industry!? Their consoles survival is directly tied to the success and failures of their competitors. The same holds true for Sony and MS. What each does for themselves will make them sink of float. But they are all trying to get the business of their competitors, even Nintendo.

If you don't believe that then try buying Sega's 8th gen system.

This is true. But just because you compete with something doesn't mean that competing is your end goal. The difference is Sony and Microsoft have this narrative of the console competition as a war where Nintendo has it as a marathon race.

In the console war, the end goal is to destroy your opponent. Whereas in the a marathon you can defeat your opponent simply by ensuring your own efficiency and mental fortitude.