What is the story behind Bayonetta 2 being Wii U only?

#1DoramiPosted 6/23/2013 9:27:19 AM
I only read vaguely something about funding, but that could refer to many different scenarios.
---
"Why do ppl say Steam/PC has DRM? The only thing steam does is prevent piracy, and there's nothing wrong with that." - Oil_Rope_Bombs
#2thefabregas22Posted 6/23/2013 9:28:15 AM
It's actually a male on male love relationship. Private stuff, ya know?
---
Steam thefabregas22
Psn Admiral Classy Let's got down to the dirty!
#3BuretsuPosted 6/23/2013 9:29:30 AM
Bayonetta 1 didn't sell particularly well, and around that time, Sega went through a rough period, losing a lot of money and having to layoff staff and cancel projects. Bayonetta 2 was rumored to be one of those products.

Basically, nobody wanted to make Bayonetta 2, until NIntendo stepped in and offered to give Platinum the funding to make it, and thus it became a Wii U exclusive. And then the Bayonetta fans started b****ing.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#4BeanBeanKingdomPosted 6/23/2013 9:29:38 AM
SEGA (Platinum's publisher at the time) couldn't fund the game because of financial troubles and had it scrapped. Kamiya tried to go to Microsoft and Sony to try and convince them to fund and publish it, but they refused. Then Nintendo stepped in and did so, meaning the game will be a Wii U exclusive due to Nintendo paying for it.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#5nonexistingheroPosted 6/23/2013 9:30:20 AM
As lame as it is, Buretsu's story is 100% truth.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#6darkjedilinkPosted 6/23/2013 9:30:29 AM
Dorami posted...
I only read vaguely something about funding, but that could refer to many different scenarios.

Sega no longer wanted to fund Platinum's development of the game as a multiplat, so Platinum went to Sony and MS for continued funding as an exclusive. They both stated bluntly that they didn't want the game on their system.

Sega then directed Platinum towards Nintendo, who not only offered to fund the game as an exclusive, they are also helping develop it.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#7F31LeopardPosted 6/23/2013 9:30:38 AM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-01-sega-cancels-bayonetta-2-report

That's how it started.
---
PSN:AE86CorollaLevin, NN ID:AE86CorollaLevin, XBL:AE86CorollaGTS
#8Dorami(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2013 9:36:31 AM
All right, thanks for the explanations, everyone (except for the first reply, ofc).

I assume "MS and Sony said they didn't want the game on their system" is a paraphrase or "This game will only return a profit if it had a budget below X. We don't want non-indie games with budget below X on our system because it would make our system look cheap"?
---
"Why do ppl say Steam/PC has DRM? The only thing steam does is prevent piracy, and there's nothing wrong with that." - Oil_Rope_Bombs
#9darkjedilinkPosted 6/23/2013 9:39:38 AM
Dorami posted...
All right, thanks for the explanations, everyone (except for the first reply, ofc).

I assume "MS and Sony said they didn't want the game on their system" is a paraphrase or "This game will only return a profit if it had a budget below X. We don't want non-indie games with budget below X on our system because it would make our system look cheap"?

More like "your last game didn't sell that well, so we aren't going to give you the kind of money you need to finish your game."
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie