Kickstarter: Armikrog

#11TerotrousPosted 6/23/2013 12:27:52 PM
xoftheuniverse posted...
I still have a problem with this kickstarter thing. In my day the developers didn't go around pathetically begging fans for money to make a game. I don't like it :/

Sure they did, they were just begging publishers instead of consumers. If you read anything about how game companies were run back in the day shopping the game around to various publishers was always a huge part of the design process.

However, since then, publishers have decided that they won't back anything that isn't a gritty FPS or Sandbox game, so they have to go elsewhere if that's not what they want to make.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#12darkjedilinkPosted 6/23/2013 12:54:28 PM(edited)
SteamedRice posted...
GodofLaziness posted...
Aren't they officially Nintendo first party? I posted about this yesterday. http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=205987

"Armikrog dev becomes officially licensed Nintendo dev"
Armikrog: plz fund our game folks ... :(

They're a licensed developer, meaning they are legally allowed to make Wii U games.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#13Board_hunter567Posted 6/23/2013 3:36:03 PM
This had better come out in some form or fashion.
#14RoccoRedPosted 6/23/2013 3:40:54 PM
Game looks great! But is there no way to extend the date? I mean... the game already got a lot of support but to make it to 950k in just 3 days? That is going to be very hard. >_>
---
Xbox: KeroTenu
PSN: Omagiri_Dragon
#15GameKing59(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2013 6:49:42 PM
Hard, yes. However, I`ve been watching it, and it`s slowly but surely been climbing. Right now it`s at $650,414.00.
#16cavebear56Posted 6/23/2013 7:00:33 PM
Terotrous posted...
xoftheuniverse posted...
I still have a problem with this kickstarter thing. In my day the developers didn't go around pathetically begging fans for money to make a game. I don't like it :/

Sure they did, they were just begging publishers instead of consumers. If you read anything about how game companies were run back in the day shopping the game around to various publishers was always a huge part of the design process.

However, since then, publishers have decided that they won't back anything that isn't a gritty FPS or Sandbox game, so they have to go elsewhere if that's not what they want to make.

This. Then the publishers would say "ok but we will get a cut and most likely place restrictions and demands" mostly you would see it in the past gen with DLC and microtransactions.

You were just younger and not aware of it xoftheuniverse. This way they can cut out the middle man and provide the backers far more than any pre-order collectors edition would offer (ideally). It also allows them to focus on how they want the game to turn out and keep the vision they are working on.

For example Shadowrun Returns offers a lot as well as the Cthulhu boardgame.

So you can sit there and keep calling a tiger a cow but the truth of the matter is kickstarter is the best way for fans of niche genres or forgotten gems to have a second chance, as well as being able to experiment and take more risks than big name publishers would allow. Ex. Shadowrun, Torment, Freedom Planet, Cryamore, Project Eternity and ROAM to name a few.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#17Kong K RoolPosted 6/23/2013 7:13:05 PM
xoftheuniverse posted...

Look at the prizes, though. All they're essentially asking you to do is pay for the game in advance. A measly $25.00 gets you the game (how often do you get ENTIRE games for $25?! A steal!). I don't think this is pathetic.
---
.-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-.
#18GameKing59(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 12:47:48 PM
Update: The project has reached $688,659.00.
#19TerotrousPosted 6/24/2013 1:01:20 PM(edited)
I think it's become abundantly clear that the secret to a successful kickstarter is to set the main threshold level very low and then just have a ton of stretch goals. If it looks like you might not make your goal, many people won't donate because a lot of people don't realize that if the project doesn't meet the threshold no one pays anything.

Also, 900k is super insanely high. Stonehearth, which was one of the fastest-earning Kickstarter projects, only got 750k.

Unfortunately I think this will get 800k and that's it. The developer would have to kick in the last 100k themselves if they want to get the money.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#20GameKing59(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 7:46:25 PM
We can still hope. It's bypassed 700k.