Will this system end up like Gamecube?

#1ExtremelyFatGuyPosted 6/23/2013 8:30:27 PM
Do you guys think this system will end up like Gamecube in that Nintendo pretty much gave up on it a few years in and put most of their work into DS and Wii? Or will Nintendo eventually pull it out with this system in a a few years? It's hard to say what consumers want since we are still dealing with the lingering effects of a major recession. It could be argued that the 1982 recession (10.8 percent unemployment at peak) was the cause of the 1983 crash. The psychological effects of a recession don't peak until shortly afterward a recession, and even then consumers are still cautious. So is it that or are we just going to be linger along like the Gamecube, with Nintendo still waiting for casuals that aren't coming (or perhaps are) and hoping for hardcores that will go to the other two console makers?
#2LordBowserPosted 6/23/2013 11:06:06 PM
No. There is nothing that has occurred in this system's short lifespan so far that implies it will 'end up like the Gamecube', or end up poorly at all.

Rather, I think it will end up like the 3DS, in that it started slow due to lack of quality games, then once quality software releases, it will be thriving.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#3Jacob46719Posted 6/23/2013 11:07:21 PM
LordBowser posted...
No. There is nothing that has occurred in this system's short lifespan so far that implies it will 'end up like the Gamecube', or end up poorly at all.

Rather, I think it will end up like the 3DS, in that it started slow due to lack of quality games, then once quality software releases, it will be thriving.

---
Backlog of games: Too many unfinished games.
#4ExtremelyFatGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2013 11:18:48 PM
Console games take longer to make plus 3DS has weak competition. Does this fact affect the points you two just made?
#5Peeto87Posted 6/24/2013 3:11:00 AM
ExtremelyFatGuy posted...
Console games take longer to make plus 3DS has weak competition. Does this fact affect the points you two just made?

Agreed.

In fact there are huge indications it could end up like the cube.

Lack of sales?
Hype and almost guaranteed sales for competitors?
Lack of 3rd party support?

This reeks of Gamecube all over again and if you can't see that you're blind.
---
~ Aussie
R.I.P Michael Jackson. The best there ever was. 26.6.09
#6monkeyspoonPosted 6/24/2013 4:01:36 AM
The WiiU reminds me of the dreamcast.

Poor sales
Poor 3rd party support
EA drop support completely
Released about a year before a far superior spec playstation console
Have screens on the controller
---
Last of Us is the best game of gen 7. Can't wait for PS4
Gen 8=PS4>XB1>WiiU
#7adampeltzPosted 6/24/2013 4:47:15 AM
We simply don't know the answer. I don't think it's even that bad if it does end up like the GCN. I enjoyed it, and Nintendo (more than) survived to fight another day.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.