Eurogamer: AAA devs too focused on cinematic games

#71MoonBoundPosted 6/24/2013 1:16:35 AM
sonic777 posted...
MoonBound posted...

Sonic you have no idea what sensible is ealier you said games without cutscenes are better you lost all your credibility here.

Better lay off the crack. It would certainly help YOUR credibility.

Lol that's the best you can up with? Look at you trying to dig out of the hole you made.
---
I used to be an adventurer like you until I took an arrow in the knee, microsoft said deal with it!
#72sonic777Posted 6/24/2013 1:18:49 AM
MoonBound posted...
sonic777 posted...
MoonBound posted...

Sonic you have no idea what sensible is ealier you said games without cutscenes are better you lost all your credibility here.

Lol that's the best you can up with? Look at you trying to dig out of the hole you made.

*Notices didn't deny being on crack.*
---
<3 NINTENDO OMG
#73MoonBoundPosted 6/24/2013 1:27:03 AM
sonic777 posted...
MoonBound posted...
sonic777 posted...
MoonBound posted...

*Notices didn't deny being on crack.*

Never did that I was around it once smelled terrible went outside asap and after I saw how people acted on it I was like why would you ever smoke that one od the most idiotic behaviors I've ever seen.
---
I used to be an adventurer like you until I took an arrow in the knee, microsoft said deal with it!
#74Neo_HeartlessPosted 6/24/2013 1:32:30 AM
The only problem I have with "interactive" cutscenes is that it looks silly when people are trying to get across a serious point and you're spinning on the spot or standing in a corner like a naughty boy talking to a wall.

Also, all of this discussion has completely missed the point of the initial post. Developers ARE too focused on cinematic games. They blow all their budgets on photorealism and getting in famous voice actors and advertising the game hoping to get the mythical CoD sales which just never happen. Meanwhile, Nintendo games which focus more on gameplay and don't cost anywhere near as much to make sell a couple million and make a tidy profit. Hell, Minecraft is one of the most basic games you can get and it's been wildely successful.

A game should be a game first and tell a story second. Cutscenes are fine as long as the rest of the game is interesting enough to see you through. It's when there is disparity between game and cutscene though is when issues occur. I mean, in a lot of JRPGs you can be a level 100 God-General Master of Summoners who swats aside monsters with ease, and then the big bad who you could punch out for 9999 damage with your bare hands still manages to overpower you because the story demands it.

I think Dark Souls had a good narrative. The story is there, but you have to be the one who engages it. You could get though the game without actually talking to anyone you don't want to, but talking to people gives you more insight into the world and what to do.

And finally, watching this internet argument has been a hoot, however...

sonic777 posted...
What's wrong with people not wanting women to be able to vote? Must everybody share the same opinions?

Yup, awful analogies. I'm on GameFAQs alright.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#75MoonBoundPosted 6/24/2013 1:38:17 AM
Neo_Heartless posted...
The only problem I have with "interactive" cutscenes is that it looks silly when people are trying to get across a serious point and you're spinning on the spot or standing in a corner like a naughty boy talking to a wall.

Also, all of this discussion has completely missed the point of the initial post. Developers ARE too focused on cinematic games. They blow all their budgets on photorealism and getting in famous voice actors and advertising the game hoping to get the mythical CoD sales which just never happen. Meanwhile, Nintendo games which focus more on gameplay and don't cost anywhere near as much to make sell a couple million and make a tidy profit. Hell, Minecraft is one of the most basic games you can get and it's been wildely successful.

A game should be a game first and tell a story second. Cutscenes are fine as long as the rest of the game is interesting enough to see you through. It's when there is disparity between game and cutscene though is when issues occur. I mean, in a lot of JRPGs you can be a level 100 God-General Master of Summoners who swats aside monsters with ease, and then the big bad who you could punch out for 9999 damage with your bare hands still manages to overpower you because the story demands it.

I think Dark Souls had a good narrative. The story is there, but you have to be the one who engages it. You could get though the game without actually talking to anyone you don't want to, but talking to people gives you more insight into the world and what to do.

And finally, watching this internet argument has been a hoot, however...

sonic777 posted...
What's wrong with people not wanting women to be able to vote? Must everybody share the same opinions?

Yup, awful analogies. I'm on GameFAQs alright.

This is part of what I've bwen trying to say.
---
#76Chocobo115Posted 6/24/2013 1:45:59 AM
Numbuh100 posted...
Monolith Soft put all gameplay and stories together in Xenoblade Chronicles and they will in Monolith Soft's X.

Totally dissagree it's kind of a patchwork. I don't like the gameplay that much at all, and well the story, whilst kinda predictable so far (not finished yet), It keeps me interested.
Basically the the story is what makes me keep playing the game. Had it been gameplay only I would have quitted the game like 25 h ago.

Oh and I had the exact same issues with Final Fantasy XII, Liked the story, but didn't like the gameplay.
---
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
#77nonexistingheroPosted 6/24/2013 2:22:25 AM

I agree on the expense this is a problem in the gaming industry they need to innovate and make games more fun but I disagree is pacing what I meant was the narrative not the gameplay pacing and it was fitting because it gave you the constant thrills of a dangerous place with many enemies I guess that more about opinion then fact.

Anyways I think the real expense comes from trying to much to other to graphics toward and stop making so many shooters more will buy.

I suppose it is opinion about TR. It's a solid game with a lot of focus on gameplay, but I like to have some rest-moments in-between. I think a game like Resident Evil 4 handles that extremely well, in TR in felt rushed all the time and I didn't like that much. And well, I kinda miss the old TR, which had plenty of those moments.

I've been gaming over 30 years and never felt bored with uncharted 2 and by the way they are platforming adventure games with many epic moments that series is more about gameplay then anything else you guys are really off here.

How long you've been gaming is irrellevant with this point (I've been gaming for over 23 years). Uncharted 2 is a ton of auto-platforming. He won't 'jump' or 'climb' anything that falls outside of the scripted path. Shooting sections just aren't that fun either, IMO. I like games that just give me mechanics and let me figure out what to do with it, rather than games that miraculously give new abilities at scripted points. I think it's stupid how Nathan can jump 20 feet when the game needs him to, but if you try to jump from other ledges he will drop down like a brick after 3 feet.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#78-POWERGLOVE-Posted 6/24/2013 2:51:16 AM
Asuir posted...
What's wrong with games that are cinematic? There are billions of people that live on this planet and you don't think there's a market for that?

Just because you enjoy all gameplay and no story doesn't mean that everyone else does. I love cinematic games that tell an engrossing story. I also love games that have superb gameplay.

I don't understand why people limit themselves by hating on sports games, rpgs, platformers, or shooters.

There is ALWAYS a market for people who like bad "games".

I guess good for you that you love all the same bland cookie cutter generic inspid interactive storybooks?

I don't understand why people limit themselves by playing sports games or shooters. Play one sports game or shooter you've played them all.
---
http://mygaming.co.za/news/wp-content/uploads/powerglove_326554202.jpg
#79nonexistingheroPosted 6/24/2013 3:07:42 AM
Ikaruga and CoD = exactly the same confirm!
Mario & Sonic @ Olympics and Madden = exactly the same confirm!
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#80andrea987Posted 6/24/2013 3:09:26 AM
Well well, it doesn't happen often that I agree with an Eurogamer article. Indeed, too many wanna-be-movie games out at the moment. I think it's a personal opinion, of course, but if I want to play I prefer a game that put gameplay and fun first, not graphics and story. They are important aspects of a game, yes, but certainly not the main ingredient.
---
Now playing: Dragon's Dogma, Ni no Kuni, Need for Speed MWU, Fifa 13, Sonic Racing.
Just finished: Batman ACAE, Trine 2 DC.