Just letting you know that The Wonderful 101 is gonna be the GOTY

#41The_Shadow_LinkPosted 6/24/2013 5:49:11 AM
SquallAlmasy posted...
nonexistinghero posted...
Buretsu posted...
Not to disparage Wonderful 101 in any way, but at this point, The Last of Us might as well be locked in as everybody's GOTY. Maybe Bioshock: Infinite.

Yeah well, that's only for 'gamers' who'd rather watch movies. For actual gamers who like to 'play' games, TW101 should at least be one of the personal GotY candidates.

TW101 has cutscenes and a story, it must be for gamers who'd rather watch movies.

Having played all of The Last of Us. I have to say...

Xenoblade Chronicles had much longer cutscenes than it. That game had, what, 5 Hours worth of cutscenes to go through? And that's not counting all of the dialogue scenes that game has as well. If you were to rush through that game. It's going to be about 25% cutscenes at least I would say, and god knows how long in dialogue scenes. I would call Xenoblade more cinematic than The Last of Us was.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#42-NotoriousLynx(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 5:56:53 AM
The_Shadow_Link posted...
SquallAlmasy posted...
nonexistinghero posted...
Buretsu posted...
Not to disparage Wonderful 101 in any way, but at this point, The Last of Us might as well be locked in as everybody's GOTY. Maybe Bioshock: Infinite.

Yeah well, that's only for 'gamers' who'd rather watch movies. For actual gamers who like to 'play' games, TW101 should at least be one of the personal GotY candidates.

TW101 has cutscenes and a story, it must be for gamers who'd rather watch movies.

Having played all of The Last of Us. I have to say...

Xenoblade Chronicles had much longer cutscenes than it. That game had, what, 5 Hours worth of cutscenes to go through? And that's not counting all of the dialogue scenes that game has as well. If you were to rush through that game. It's going to be about 25% cutscenes at least I would say, and god knows how long in dialogue scenes. I would call Xenoblade more cinematic than The Last of Us was.

A non-game or movie-game isn't about how much cutscenes it has. Metal Gear Solid 4 has like an hour long cutscene and its not a movie-game. A movie-game is a game that tries to pass bull off as gameplay elements, such as QTEs, extremely scripted events (climbing up the train in Uncharted 2 for example), and Press X to JASON!!! games.
#43Moocow123450Posted 6/24/2013 5:56:57 AM
I doubt that. It's being heavily overshadowed by Nintendo's titles which, let's face it, aren't as advertised as others (save for the new Animal Crossing title). I doubt it could really hold a candle against others. In terms of quality? Maybe. In terms of being known? No. On the Wiiu? Again, maybe.
---
3DS friend Code: 0516-7267-8112 PM me if added
I choose you! Miltank!
#44-NotoriousLynx(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 5:58:46 AM
Moocow123450 posted...
I doubt that. It's being heavily overshadowed by Nintendo's titles which, let's face it, aren't as advertised as others (save for the new Animal Crossing title). I doubt it could really hold a candle against others. In terms of quality? Maybe. In terms of being known? No. On the Wiiu? Again, maybe.

Being well known doesn't have anything to do with the GOTY. Only IGN and Spike worry about if a game is well known.
#45mcsmellingtonPosted 6/24/2013 6:10:37 AM
-NotoriousLynx posted...
mcsmellington posted...

Do you have a source for that, or is it just conjecture? I'm not calling you a liar or anything, I just don't remember seeing anything about it.

Anyway, could someone please give me a few reasons why they think The Wonderful 101 looks so amazing? I'm genuinely curious. Personally I really can't see the appeal, and as for now I can definitely say I won't be buying it. That could change, obviously, but going off what I've seen I just don't think it looks interesting in the slightest

"Can anyone give me a few reasons"

Literally the entire first post is full of reasons. And honestly, if you can't see the appeal, you gotta be a bland person.

Sorry, I didn't see much of note in the first post. I don't really care who makes it, which is what the majority of the post amounted to. If anything, it puts me off as I've not really enjoyed a Platinum game.

The last point actually made me laugh. It just looked like desperate begging.
---
GT: McPoo
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#46nonexistingheroPosted 6/24/2013 6:15:53 AM
A non-game or movie-game isn't about how much cutscenes it has. Metal Gear Solid 4 has like an hour long cutscene and its not a movie-game. A movie-game is a game that tries to pass bull off as gameplay elements, such as QTEs, extremely scripted events (climbing up the train in Uncharted 2 for example), and Press X to JASON!!! games.

Pretty much. Although, I do think MGS4 is a poor example. It has deep and solid gameplay mechanics, but at the same time the story is pushed so much it takes away from the gameplay. Well, it wasn't like that with earlier MGS games. They just had a lot of cutscenes. But in MGS4 there just isn't a lot of room to explore gameplay mechanics after the first 2 acts. The style of MGS has been movie-like for all of the Solid games... but outside of 4, they were still very much a game underneath.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#47Neo_HeartlessPosted 6/24/2013 6:21:36 AM
mcsmellington posted...
-NotoriousLynx posted...
mcsmellington posted...

Do you have a source for that, or is it just conjecture? I'm not calling you a liar or anything, I just don't remember seeing anything about it.

Anyway, could someone please give me a few reasons why they think The Wonderful 101 looks so amazing? I'm genuinely curious. Personally I really can't see the appeal, and as for now I can definitely say I won't be buying it. That could change, obviously, but going off what I've seen I just don't think it looks interesting in the slightest

Literally the entire first post is full of reasons. And honestly, if you can't see the appeal, you gotta be a bland person.

Sorry, I didn't see much of note in the first post. I don't really care who makes it, which is what the majority of the post amounted to. If anything, it puts me off as I've not really enjoyed a Platinum game.

This is the internet. Lets be honest now, if you don't want the game, are you really going to be convinced by a random group of people?

I would think, or hope, that a game like this would have a demo. Give it a try if it does, as at this point trying the game will be the only way to convince you.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#48mcsmellingtonPosted 6/24/2013 6:24:46 AM
Neo_Heartless posted...
mcsmellington posted...
-NotoriousLynx posted...
mcsmellington posted...

This is the internet. Lets be honest now, if you don't want the game, are you really going to be convinced by a random group of people?

I would think, or hope, that a game like this would have a demo. Give it a try if it does, as at this point trying the game will be the only way to convince you.

I'll definitely give a demo a go if they bring one out, it may look like it plays crap to me, but there's a good chance it does indeed play well and I've just not been able to see it. Trying it first hand is always the way to go.

And opinions wouldn't convince me "I must have TW101" at this point, but they may make me more interested for the game if I hear about something I didn't know about already. I do genuinely enjoy hearing what people have to say about different games.
---
GT: McPoo
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#49psprulz2007Posted 6/24/2013 6:34:09 AM
- Created by Platinum Games, known for many fan favorite games, along with Hideki Kamiya at the helm of the project

I don't care for Platinum games.

- Game could be described as Pikmin meets Viewtiful Joe (or Power Rangers), with a hint of Okami, but its so much more than just that

I don't like Pikiman (why im not buying P3) nor Viewtiful Joe (plus Ive outgrown Power rangers (my 4 years old likes them though)) and I never bothered to touch Okami.

- Utilizes the GamePad (and thank god, the only games that truly utilized it to its fullest were minigame collections)

Praise for using the remote?

- Kamiya has stated that one playthrough can take the player 20 hours to complete

I don't have time to invest 20 hours into a game.

- Waterslides

Why would I want my system to get wet?

- Kamiya is known for his replay value, expect many features to unlock after beating the game once or even twice, like new characters, modes, and items

Once I beat a game I trade/sell it. Never replay a game.

- 5-person local co-op multiplayer

I only own 1 remote and don't plan on spending more money.

- Colorful, unique art style

Ill give this a thumbs up.

- Fun cast of characters. Pretty much Viewtified, chibi expies of some of Kamiya's and Platinum's games (Pink has Bayonetta's old hairstyle)

Don't like Bayonetta or Viewtified things

- New IP, owned by Nintendo, show support for this game and Wonderful could become more than just one game; help strengthen the relationship between Nintendo and Platinum (Kamiya has stated he would like to work on Star Fox or Takamaru's game)

This gets a thumbs up as well.

So besides it being a new IP and having a nice art style there is NO reason for me to even consider buying this.
---
I hate gamefaqs. Mods pick and choose what's off topic and what's not. Its obvious they are clueless 99.9% of the time. People who agree 4527
#50sumweeabooPosted 6/24/2013 6:42:17 AM
The Wonderful 101 will be a good game, but it will not be considered as "GOTY" as it isn't a movie game.