Question for long time Nintendo console owners

#1SteelToothPosted 6/24/2013 8:11:13 AM
I had an NES growing up, in fact I technically had 2 since my mom bought one when they first came out and had to return it due to being defective, and came home with the Power Pad set.

I played that thing for 10 years, I loved it! I understand the love for Nintendo, because their like the gaming equivalent of pizza.

Anyhoo, I skipped the 64-bit era (with no regret about it!) and decided to get back into gaming in late 2002.

Being unsure with the three choices at the time, I first chose a silver GameCube since I had fond memories with my NES.

Over time I came to get teh PS2 and Xbox, but I really enjoyed the games I played on my Cube.

The point of my story is, why was the GameCube frowned upon? There seemed to be more third party support for Nintendo back then, but almost every game I played was a quality experience with graphics and polish surpassing the PS2 games I played!

Why is the console looked back with a sort of disdain when it had some great stuff? It even went out with a helluva swan song with the correctly-oriented Twilight Princess!

I've quite understood what was wrong with the GameCube, so I'm asking the folks who have owned several Nintendo consoles the reason.

Thanks
---
TWSSted Steel Disagree with me? Talk to the Tree:
http://i.imgur.com/ihMBR.jpg
#2NiftyManZPosted 6/24/2013 8:21:53 AM
It sold poorly.
---
BREAK IT DOWN KIRBY!! (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)
#3GodofLazinessPosted 6/24/2013 8:24:56 AM
You never got the N64? You missed out on some truly amazing games man. Anyway the Gamecube was great but 3rd party games was lacking, I think that's where most of the hate come from.
---
Official Guardian Knight Slacker of Safe Haven.
Light blinds us and forces us to stumble about in ignorance - Altair
#4ReturnOfStarmanPosted 6/24/2013 8:28:40 AM
I guess we are in the minority, because I celebrate (present tense; yeah I still play it I have 30+ games) the CRAP out of my Gamecube.
---
It is better to keep your mouth closed and appear ignorant, than to open it and remove all doubt. ~Mark Twain
#5darkjedilinkPosted 6/24/2013 8:31:30 AM
The first console was purple, and "hardcore gamers" didn't want to look "girly."

Never mind it had the best graphics of the generation, and most of the best games (Metroid Primes, Rogue Squadron, the best Soul Calibur 2, tied with Xbox for best Splinter Cell games, etc).
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#6DeathSoul2000Posted 6/24/2013 8:35:28 AM
Sunshine instead of 64 2. (well more i hated sunshine's weird style and abandonment of classic mario elements than wanting a straight up 64 2)

Double Dash had an incredibly pointless gimmick and looked ultra kiddy compared to other mario karts. seriously, if some inanimate object had room for eyes and a nose, they'd add some. (a frickin VOLCANO of all things had a face for crying out loud)

Wind Waker instead of something that looked like the spaceworld demo. I hate them using a series to show off a system, then doing a 180 and doing the complete opposite style.

Pokemon Colosseum was an incredibly poor follow up to the awesome stadiums, made by a worse dev.

Oh, and the handle didn't help its image either.

Imo it just had the worst 1st party games and was just a disappointment after the 64.
#7jbhensPosted 6/24/2013 8:48:09 AM
The Gamecube was fantastic. However, the N64 was a revolution. Mario 64, Goldeneye, Majoras Mask, and, of course, Ocarina of Time were amazing titles and built the foundation of 3D gameplay and are still mimicked these days. They were so good, it was hard for Nintendo to follow them up. The Gamecube was an amazing system, but Mario 64 and WW didn't grab audiences and gamers like Mario 64 and OoT did. Part of that is Nintendo's fault, because both of those games actually felt rushed out to try and help the Gamecube. The original Metroid Prime was really the only Nintendo title on the Gamecube to live up to the standards that they had during the N64 days.

But yes the Gamecube was amazing, and had the best first year out of any system aside from the Dreamcast. Luigis Mansion, Wave Race, Rogue Squadron, Melee, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Super Monkey Ball, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, and some decent 3rd party ports.
#8Kong K RoolPosted 6/24/2013 8:54:56 AM
Bizarre storage medium (they lost much third party support due to low-capacity cartridges the previous generation, then failed to learn from their mistakes). Rejecting online play while it was taking off on all other platforms. Their killer aps such as Mario Sunshine and Zelda: Wind Waker were flops among the mainstream crowd for various reasons, which is fatal when you lack third party support. Lack of games aimed at older demographics. Those're the main reasons off the top of my head.
---
.-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-. .-='"*"'=-.
#9ShiNoBinnPosted 6/24/2013 9:11:51 AM(edited)
It's a pity you skipped the N64 (the n64/psx era was an important era for gaming) and joined back in the GC era, the 64 really was a revolution, going from NES, to SNES and then to the 64 was holy **** amazing at the time... No way would I ever think I'd play anything better than what the SNES(and lesser extent, the Genesis. I was a Nintendo guy back then, still am) offered then here comes the n64 and SM64 to flip the gaming world on its head, the system was just a first for everything 4player local (I know there was the SNES peripheral, but only the richest had that whereas the N64 it was standard built into every system) first 3d platformers, first console fps that showed it can work on consoles, just a gaming library that was truely special and while it had less games overall, 90% of the games were fantastic.

You should do yourself a favor and try to get a 64 if you can, unfortunately while you may admit that the games you play if you do get one will be good to great, the effect of not only experiencing these games for the first time but also experiencing first hand just how the N64 (and yes even the PSX) forever changed the gaming landscape will be lost on you :(
---
"Look upon me....do you see how pathetic you are!? Only a chosen few have the power to face me on this level!.."
#10BuretsuPosted 6/24/2013 9:10:23 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
Double Dash had an incredibly pointless gimmick and looked ultra kiddy compared to other mario karts. seriously, if some inanimate object had room for eyes and a nose, they'd add some. (a frickin VOLCANO of all things had a face for crying out loud)

Isn't that one of the staples of Mario? I mean, didn't the hills in the background of SMB1 have eyes?
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit