Question for long time Nintendo console owners

#11TerotrousPosted 6/24/2013 10:11:40 AM
SteelTooth posted...
I've [never] quite understood what was wrong with the GameCube, so I'm asking the folks who have owned several Nintendo consoles the reason.

It's pretty simple really. The GC has horrible third-party support, it has almost no third-party exclusives, is missing many multiplats, and the multiplats it does have are often inferior to the PS2 versions. By contrast, PS2 has literally thousands of third-party exclusives that GC doesn't.

Every other Nintendo system is at least able to offer a unique experience from its competitors. NES and SNES are obvious. N64's library is weak, but at least it's very different from PS1 and the few games it does have are generally pretty good. It also has superior multiplats in almost all cases as it is discernably more powerful than PS1. Wii is derided by some, but like N64 it also has a ton of games that the HD systems don't, almost the entirety of its library is exclusive.

GC simply doesn't have this. Apart from Nintendo first-party games, what does GC do that PS2 doesn't do much better? If you go genre by genre, PS2 wins pretty much all of them, unlike the N64 vs PS1 and Wii vs PS360 comparisons where the Nintendo system wins at least a few genres. There's simply not a lot of reason to own GC if you own PS2, particularly since Wii has BC with GC, allowing you to play the small handful of GC games you might actually want to play on it.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#12trenkenPosted 6/24/2013 10:19:41 AM
The systems with new ideas generally do well. Their safe followups are generally ignored.

64 (did well)
GC (did not)

Wii (did well)
U (is not doing well)

Nintendo is now in safe sequel mode in both their hardware and software.

Guaranteed in 5 years they will come out with something not related to the Wii at all, and people will get excited about Nintendo again. Right now people dont care and are bored with them. This is the very thing that gets them to build machines like the 64 and the Wii. They need motivation to put the effort in.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#13Shadow15463Posted 6/24/2013 10:21:06 AM
i thought the gamecube was beautiful

as a 10 year old kid, the funky controller made me laugh and made it iconic. Wind Waker was beautiful and im looking forward to its HD version. SSB Melee was awesome. the size and handle on the gamecube was great because i would take my gamecube to my neighbors house and play the crap outta it (it was a very portable console). there was nothing about the gamecube i didnt like
---
Games I can NOT wait for:
Zelda WiiU, Super Smash bros 4, Fallout 4, Watch Dogs, GTA V, The Evil Within
#14TerotrousPosted 6/24/2013 10:21:34 AM
trenken posted...
The systems with new ideas generally do well. Their safe followups are generally ignored.

64 (did well)
GC (did not)

Wii (did well)
U (is not doing well)

Nintendo is now in safe sequel mode in both their hardware and software.

Guaranteed in 5 years they will come out with something not related to the Wii at all, and people will get excited about Nintendo again. Right now people dont care and are bored with them. This is the very thing that gets them to build machines like the 64 and the Wii. They need motivation to put the effort in.

SNES, Game Boy Advance, and 3DS are obvious counterexamples to this theory. Also, Wii U really isn't all that safe, the tablet is fairly groundbreaking.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#15manmousePosted 6/24/2013 10:40:44 AM
ShiNoBinn posted...
It's a pity you skipped the N64 (the n64/psx era was an important era for gaming) and joined back in the GC era, the 64 really was a revolution, going from NES, to SNES and then to the 64 was holy **** amazing at the time... No way would I ever think I'd play anything better than what the SNES(and lesser extent, the Genesis. I was a Nintendo guy back then, still am) offered then here comes the n64 and SM64 to flip the gaming world on its head, the system was just a first for everything 4player local (I know there was the SNES peripheral, but only the richest had that whereas the N64 it was standard built into every system) first 3d platformers, first console fps that showed it can work on consoles, just a gaming library that was truely special and while it had less games overall, 90% of the games were fantastic.

You should do yourself a favor and try to get a 64 if you can, unfortunately while you may admit that the games you play if you do get one will be good to great, the effect of not only experiencing these games for the first time but also experiencing first hand just how the N64 (and yes even the PSX) forever changed the gaming landscape will be lost on you :(

well he likely had a PS1 and experienced that revolution just as much as anyone else. it was a powerful 3D console as well, you know.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#16DeathSoul2000Posted 6/24/2013 11:09:12 AM
Buretsu posted...
DeathSoul2000 posted...
Double Dash had an incredibly pointless gimmick and looked ultra kiddy compared to other mario karts. seriously, if some inanimate object had room for eyes and a nose, they'd add some. (a frickin VOLCANO of all things had a face for crying out loud)

Isn't that one of the staples of Mario? I mean, didn't the hills in the background of SMB1 have eyes?

well it only seemed to be in the 2d 16 bit mario games for the most part, it kind of died out after that. DD just went over the top with it though. (i mean sunshine or 64 didn't really abuse the "eyes on everything" like DD did)
#17Bigmac909Posted 6/24/2013 12:13:06 PM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
Buretsu posted...
DeathSoul2000 posted...
Double Dash had an incredibly pointless gimmick and looked ultra kiddy compared to other mario karts. seriously, if some inanimate object had room for eyes and a nose, they'd add some. (a frickin VOLCANO of all things had a face for crying out loud)

Isn't that one of the staples of Mario? I mean, didn't the hills in the background of SMB1 have eyes?

well it only seemed to be in the 2d 16 bit mario games for the most part, it kind of died out after that. DD just went over the top with it though. (i mean sunshine or 64 didn't really abuse the "eyes on everything" like DD did)

I believe the trend of putting eyes on everything began with SMB2/Lost Levels, actually.
---
Eh, it's like 2 or 3 people who post a lot, making it look like more people hate the game than is actually true. -LordRattergun
#18ShankspearePosted 6/24/2013 12:17:27 PM
Gamecube was Nintendo's safest console I believe after the SNES. IT didn't really do that many awe inspring things and it was overshadowed by PS2's headstart and 3rd party support in the West and Japan. The only stand out games were Mario Kart and Smash at least in terms of the mainstream. However, I loved gamecube. It started the Luigi's mansion franchise. It had some awesome 3rd party gems. It also had the best Zelda collection on system. And it introduced Wireless controllers to me.
#19ShiNoBinnPosted 6/24/2013 9:35:24 PM
manmouse posted...
ShiNoBinn posted...
It's a pity you skipped the N64 (the n64/psx era was an important era for gaming) and joined back in the GC era, the 64 really was a revolution, going from NES, to SNES and then to the 64 was holy **** amazing at the time... No way would I ever think I'd play anything better than what the SNES(and lesser extent, the Genesis. I was a Nintendo guy back then, still am) offered then here comes the n64 and SM64 to flip the gaming world on its head, the system was just a first for everything 4player local (I know there was the SNES peripheral, but only the richest had that whereas the N64 it was standard built into every system) first 3d platformers, first console fps that showed it can work on consoles, just a gaming library that was truely special and while it had less games overall, 90% of the games were fantastic.

You should do yourself a favor and try to get a 64 if you can, unfortunately while you may admit that the games you play if you do get one will be good to great, the effect of not only experiencing these games for the first time but also experiencing first hand just how the N64 (and yes even the PSX) forever changed the gaming landscape will be lost on you :(

well he likely had a PS1 and experienced that revolution just as much as anyone else. it was a powerful 3D console as well, you know.

Not likely considering he said he skipped the entire generation
---
"Look upon me....do you see how pathetic you are!? Only a chosen few have the power to face me on this level!.."
#20TallWhiteNinjaPosted 6/24/2013 9:42:32 PM
Nintendo lost a lot of third-party support in the N64 days by sticking with their proprietary cartridges. In their wisdom, they stuck with a proprietary format for the GameCube...and the third parties continued to stay away. Nintendo still hasn't won them back, and basically gave up trying.

Plus, as mentioned above, for various reasons the big first party titles didn't catch on as much as they usually do.
---
Either the worst great player or the best horrible player you'll ever meet.