Operation Rainfall 2 proposal!

#1shawn0067Posted 6/26/2013 2:31:00 AM
Hey guys, I thought I would get your input on a proposal before it is put forth into any sort of motion, but the idea is OPERATION RAINFALL 2! Just as the original Operation Rainfall was named symbolically as an expression of our collective desire to bring, in a torrential downpour, some great games to the Wii that just weren't simply going to come over otherwise (and we honestly accomplished that goal, wholeheartedly), the Wii U is in a similar situation in which we can help it and the gamers who have supported the system equally.

So what is the idea? OPERATION RAINFALL 2:

Operation Rainfall 2 is a simple idea to bring third party games to the Wii U. Third party developers think that their games don't sell. That's not true! Here is why they didn't sell:

-Publishers put out rushed ports. These are bad games, and bad games shouldn't sell.
-Publishers put out old games. Were they surprised that an old game didn't sell as well as a new game? Honestly?
-Some publishers put out sequels without the previous games on the system. Want to get into Mass Effect? Starting with the last game on the Wii U probably isn't a selling point for you!

So, Operation Rainfall 2 would aim to garner your support to get a simple petition the momentum it needs to carry forward like the original project, convincing third parties to stop being lazy and make quality ports / new games and stop using the excuse of the "small install base" to not make games for it. That install base grows every month, and it's not going to be a valid excuse forever.

Your thoughts?
#2Chocobo115Posted 6/26/2013 2:38:37 AM
not the same as Operation Rainfall, if I remember correctly, Rainfall was about localizing games already released on Wii in other regions, correct?

This operations sounds more complicated since you're demanding a bigger effort from third party developers. You're demanding them to port their games for Wii U wich takes more money and effort compared to localizing an already finished game for the same console.

I don't think they're very much related.
---
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
#3TerotrousPosted 6/26/2013 2:46:00 AM
Operation Rainfall also worked because it had clear targets. They didn't just want "games", they wanted some specific games that were already out.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#4VyersPosted 6/26/2013 3:12:46 AM
No More Heroes 2
de Blob 2
Boom Blox: Bash Party
Red Steel 2

Four games without even looking them up that bombed -and- do not fit under your claims of why third party developers' games do not sell. Should I actually try to look up more examples this time? I'm pretty sure Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Little King's Story, Zack & Wiki, and Dead Space: Extraction all performed poorly.

And is it developers' fault that their options for the Wii, unless the game didn't need the PS360's higher graphical capabilities (ie Guitar Hero), were limited? That Nintendo made a platform that required designers to spend more money to make a Wii port than they do making a port to 360 or PS3?
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!
#5EoinPosted 6/26/2013 4:25:20 AM
This is different from Rainfall in some extremely huge ways:

1. Rainfall was aimed at not just at one company, but specifically at the North American division of that company. There was clear visibility about who the fans expected to answer. Your suggestion is aimed at "every division of games company in the world, except Nintendo".

2. Rainfall was only targeting three games. There was a very specific action that would make the fans happy: the release, in North America, on the Wii, of one or more of those three games. Your suggestion has no such action. If third parties responded by porting Bioshock Infinite, DmC, Sleeping Dogs and Skyrim, some people would be happy and others wouldn't be - and that's a varied selection of games from varied publishers in varied genres.

3. The actions that the people behind Rainfall wanted were quite simple. The games already existed, were already localised for English, and just needed a release in one region. It wasn't zero effort but it was about as close to it as retail publishing in the game industry ever gets. Your suggestion isn't anywhere near as simple.

This combination of a clear target, a clear aim (with an obvious endpoint), and a low difficulty bar, meant that it was an easy campaign for people to back.

Basically, instead of saying "Dear Nintendo, please take this specific game and put it in a box", you are saying "Dear universe, please port games to Wii U in a way that is different to the way that you are porting them now, or, if you're not porting them to Wii U, please start with some indeterminate games".

In short, I think you misunderstand why people were willing to get behind Rainfall, why it was able to get a response, and why it ultimately succeeded.
#6darkjedilinkPosted 6/26/2013 5:06:14 AM
OR1 didn't work. What makes you think a second would?
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie