Questions about save data

#1Sephiroth311Posted 6/26/2013 5:17:46 AM
1)Can you transfer over all your Wii save data to a Wii U?

2)I've read that if you transfer Wii VC saves over they will only work if you play them in Wii mode on the Wii U, is that correct?

3)Once a VC game is released on the Wii U VC you can "upgrade" it but you will lose your save data, is that correct?

4)Is there anyway to download save data for Wii U VC games? I've noticed you can for Wii VC games but how do you transfer them? Can it be done via USB sticks or is it SD cards only?

Thanks
---
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
#2picanoPosted 6/26/2013 5:38:51 AM
1) Yes, all save data can be transferred. (In fact, if you use the transfer process, it will transfer all saves, virtual console, and wii ware content --- no exceptions.) VC / Wiiware / online game saves such as Brawl cannot be transferred back. (Other saves can be transferred one by one via the data management menu as with normal Wiis)

2) Correct, transferred games only work in Wii mode. You don't have access to additional hardware processing / Wii U gamepad / specific controllers.

3) Never upgraded a game myself, so I can't say. But, I'm pretty sure the original is left intact --- its just that the Wii U version doesn't have a copy of the old save file.

4) As far as I know, there is no way to transfer save files to / from Wii U mode. (Wii mode works like normal)
---
Shadow Kirby 3: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNj-HmieoMk&fmt=22 Watch!
http://picanogfx.unotaku.com 3D Art and Catgirls!
#3Thunderbird8Posted 6/26/2013 6:04:21 AM
VC games that had their own save features can have the save data copied back and forth between a Wii and a Wii U (or multiple systems of the same type). The suspend point data for games that support it won't copy though (this is why the Move button is grayed out for those games). For N64 and NeoGeo games (and possibly others), there is no suspend point, so if there's data, it can be copied or moved.

I'm pretty sure that there are WiiWare games that have no restrictions on copying their data, but I don't really feel like turning on my Wii U to check :P.

The system transfer ignores copy restrictions, but as has been mentioned, it's one way.
#4Sephiroth311(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2013 6:27:50 AM
Aside from being able to play using the gamepad and the pro controllers is there any point in "upgrading" VC games to the Wii U?

Seems like a shame to lose all my 100% files. Ill probably just keep them in Wii mode if there aren't any other perks.
---
#5Thunderbird8Posted 6/26/2013 6:30:50 AM
You don't lose anything by upgrading. The original Wii VC versions remain in the Wii system memory side of the console, as do their saves.
#6Sephiroth311(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2013 9:38:36 AM
I thought you DO lose data through upgrading but you don't if you keep them in Wii mode on the Wii U?

http://kotaku.com/5979631/wii-u-virtual-console-games-wont-work-with-older-save-files

I'm just wondering is there much point in upgrading at the cost of your save files? With NES games I suppose there is no loss as only Zelda has a save feature, my SNES games I may have to think twice about but I'm torn with my N64 games. I would like to be able to play games like Mario Kart 64 using the Pro controllers but then I don't want to have to re-do games like Mario 64 and OoT all over again.

Trouble is I'm proper OCD about this kind of stuff and I'd hate to have half on the Wii menu and half on the Wii U menu :(
---
#71shadetail1Posted 6/26/2013 9:43:57 AM(edited)
Sephiroth311 posted...
I thought you DO lose data through upgrading but you don't if you keep them in Wii mode on the Wii U?

http://kotaku.com/5979631/wii-u-virtual-console-games-wont-work-with-older-save-files

You can't use the Wii saves with the WiiU versions, so in a sense, you could say that you lose your data. But if you play the Wii version instead of the WiiU version, your data will still be intact.

I'm just wondering is there much point in upgrading at the cost of your save files? With NES games I suppose there is no loss as only Zelda has a save feature, my SNES games I may have to think twice about but I'm torn with my N64 games. I would like to be able to play games like Mario Kart 64 using the Pro controllers but then I don't want to have to re-do games like Mario 64 and OoT all over again.

Trouble is I'm proper OCD about this kind of stuff and I'd hate to have half on the Wii menu and half on the Wii U menu :(

The WiiU versions come with a lot of new features the Wii versions don't have, including save states and button remapping. It's up to you to decide if those features are good enough to warrant starting your games over from the beginning.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#8Sephiroth311(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2013 9:53:49 AM
1shadetail1 posted...
Sephiroth311 posted...

You can't use the Wii saves with the WiiU versions, so in a sense, you could say that you lose your data. But if you play the Wii version instead of the WiiU version, your data will still be intact.

So if I upgrade, lets say Super Mario World, to the Wii U version does that leave me with two copies of it then? One on the Wii and one on the Wii U? Or is it just one game and you can select Wii or Wii U?
---
#9KAMMYqueenPosted 6/26/2013 9:55:14 AM
Sephiroth311 posted...
1)Can you transfer over all your Wii save data to a Wii U? yes

2)I've read that if you transfer Wii VC saves over they will only work if you play them in Wii mode on the Wii U, is that correct?
yes
3)Once a VC game is released on the Wii U VC you can "upgrade" it but you will lose your save data, is that correct?
yes
4)Is there anyway to download save data for Wii U VC games? I've noticed you can for Wii VC games but how do you transfer them? Can it be done via USB sticks or is it SD cards only?
There a tranfer process you have to go through
Thanks
#101shadetail1Posted 6/26/2013 9:59:47 AM
Sephiroth311 posted...
1shadetail1 posted...
Sephiroth311 posted...

So if I upgrade, lets say Super Mario World, to the Wii U version does that leave me with two copies of it then? One on the Wii and one on the Wii U? Or is it just one game and you can select Wii or Wii U?

You would have both copies. Upgrading would let you purchase the WiiU version at a lower price than if you were buying it the first time, and you get to keep the Wii version.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.