Anyone waiting for Pikmin 3 to see if Miyamoto truly lost his games talent?

#31R_HunterPosted 6/26/2013 3:56:20 PM
Crazy_tank51 posted...
STN79 posted...
I'd like to know why everyone has such a problem with Paper Mario sticker star? I mean how was it supposedly ruined when most reviews i've seen were positive? Both Nintendolife and even IGN for gods sake gave it great reviews. Are the haters just being overly nostalgic for the N64 original and can't enjoy the newest one or what?

- The puzzles are either so obvious all that's missing is a neon banner screaming the solution OR are insanely cryptic and support searching FAQs over searching the game

I forgot about this. STN, some puzzles will require a guide. There is very little clues in game for some of them.
---
To be fair, the overall plot of the MGS series sounds like it was written by a 7 year old on amphetamines.-CrystalKing5426
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
#32P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 6/26/2013 3:58:48 PM
R_Hunter posted...
STN79 posted...
Why don't these review sites have all this disgust for sticker star? They failed to mention the Paper Mario series soul sucking omissions that everyone talks about. It's as if they played a completely different game and loved it. How is someone supposed to make sense of all the mixed opinions? Guess i'll just have to try it for myself. I'll go in with low expectations i guess.
Sure has Been a long time since Nintendo made a game that everybody liked.

To condense my post, play it twice. Once as a standalone title and once as a PM game, if you've ever played any of the other entries.

Now as for the review sites...I dunno. Quite often I see praise for games that later either bomb, or are hated by the fanbase. I'd say something petty like they were bribed, but that doesn't occur to every reviewer of every site, magazine, etc.

I honestly cannot give you an answer for that. All I can say is to give SS a shot. If you like it, I will be happy that you do. I just...I didn't. :-/

I hate that kind of mentality. If you go about criticizing every game based on your favorite then you'll have a very narrow list of titles you like. Every game should shine on its own and be judged on its merits alone. Not by nostalgia or a set of standards.
---
NNID: Ko-san
"SUUUPERRR!"
#33Trailblazer34Posted 6/26/2013 4:02:00 PM
Terotrous posted...
Miyamoto is clearly past it. If you compare what he did in the past to what he's done lately, that conclusion is undeniable.

That being said, Pikmin 1 was a masterpiece and Pikmin 2 was a significant step down. He successfully realized Pikmin 1 was the better game and actually brought in some mechanics to make the new game even better (like the ability to direct the captains using the tablet). I have to give some credit to that, particularly because Nintendo is usually really terrible at recognizing what worked well and what didn't.

nope.jpg

The day limit ruined any sense of exploration. Pikmin 2 was a godsend. Way better.
#34TerotrousPosted 6/26/2013 4:21:07 PM(edited)
Trailblazer34 posted...
nope.jpg

The day limit ruined any sense of exploration. Pikmin 2 was a godsend. Way better.

Strategy games aren't about exploration, they're about efficiency. At their core, Strategy games revolve around strategically allocating limited resources, such as time, raw materials, and manpower, to solve complex problems. The caves ruined all sense of strategy in the sequel because there is always a single, optimal solution (let no one die, no other factors matter), which is why the original is much better.

The fun in Pikmin 1 comes from playing each day a few times until you find an efficient schedule that lets you get as much done as possible. If you don't enjoy this, it's not really your type of game.

Also, Pikmin's day limit is extremely lenient, you must play the game extremely poorly to even come close to running out. The bigger issue with Pikmin 2 is that time stops altogether inside the caves, removing one of the central gameplay elements.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#35R_HunterPosted 6/26/2013 4:19:07 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
There was not a huge story in Sticker Star because you, the consumer, said you didn't care.

The hell I did. I'm not one of those who disliked SPM, and i'm certainly not one of the ones Nintendo polled about the story. Most of those were in Japan.

I get to feel dislike about the direction SS took, as it wasn't my opinions that apparently mattered.
---
To be fair, the overall plot of the MGS series sounds like it was written by a 7 year old on amphetamines.-CrystalKing5426
#36pokemonfreak97Posted 6/26/2013 4:36:26 PM
The problem with Sticker Star wasn't anything to do with the story. Paper Mario's stories were good, but the part I disliked wasn't the story. It was the fact that it's not an RPG. Pikmin 3 will be the best game of 2013 for me unless it is no longer an RTS and they scrap the multiplayer mode. All videos confirm that it is an RTS with a multiplayer mode.
---
nuskooI posted...
You nooblet mainstreamers and your reverse nostalgia.
#37P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 6/26/2013 5:07:18 PM
pokemonfreak97 posted...
The problem with Sticker Star wasn't anything to do with the story. Paper Mario's stories were good, but the part I disliked wasn't the story. It was the fact that it's not an RPG. Pikmin 3 will be the best game of 2013 for me unless it is no longer an RTS and they scrap the multiplayer mode. All videos confirm that it is an RTS with a multiplayer mode.

Sticker Star was an RPG. Super Paper Mario was the one that wasn't an RPG.
---
NNID: Ko-san
"SUUUPERRR!"
#38R_HunterPosted 6/26/2013 5:13:48 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
pokemonfreak97 posted...

Sticker Star was an RPG. Super Paper Mario was the one that wasn't an RPG.

I would like to hear your reasoning on how SS qualifies as an RPG.
---
#39zatOMGPosted 6/26/2013 5:14:03 PM
STN79 posted...
I'd like to know why everyone has such a problem with Paper Mario sticker star? I mean how was it supposedly ruined when most reviews i've seen were positive? Both Nintendolife and even IGN for gods sake gave it great reviews. Are the haters just being overly nostalgic for the N64 original and can't enjoy the newest one or what?

In a nut shell, yes.
#40Tsutarja495Posted 6/26/2013 5:21:53 PM
Other way around for me, I'm excited for Pikmin 3 because I love Miyamoto's game talent.