Conan visits E3 to check out Wii U, PS4, and XBOX ONE...

#31dennis941012Posted 6/26/2013 11:16:18 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/conan-obrien-chelsea-handler-naked-432991
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzwNvWsbJKQ
#32_FalstaffPosted 6/27/2013 12:12:29 AM
First of all, it helps to know that comedy relies on the unexpected or shocking.

Comedy is more subjective than people realize. Comedy is mostly, if not completely, cultural. This is why it's often difficult to translate jokes across cultures. For example, if you can recall watching a Japanese cartoon, you'll probably be able to recall seeing many jokes, be they visual or spoken. At some point during the show, it's likely that you saw a joke and didn't laugh, even if you understood it. Maybe you even asked yourself, "Why is this funny?" Just because you didn't laugh doesn't mean that the joke was bad or unfunny. It means that, culturally, you didn't understand it, however there are probably millions of people who do.

A big mistake is to think that the United States is culturally homogenous, and thus, Conan should receive the same reaction from everybody across the U.S. In actuality, the United States is home to thousands of separate cultures and subcultures, from very large groups (Southern, West Coast, East Coast) to very small groups (families, school friends). Personally, I may not find Conan's humor all that unexpected or shocking, but that doesn't mean that there aren't millions of people out there who do. They've been raised in a slightly different culture than me, and thus have different expectations of what is funny and what is not funny. To tell a person, "My taste in humor is better than yours," is to be extremely pretentious and culturally ignorant.

Long story short, you need a pretty good argument to claim that the quality of comedy can be judged objectively, because most current psychological research disagrees.

P.S.: I recommend starting with a look at the International Journal of Humor Research. They've got some great content.
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#33WeAllAsked4ThisPosted 6/27/2013 1:17:09 AM
Is it just me or did the that guy who voiced Mario look like his eyes got watery?

http://i.imgur.com/cgKYren.png

Conan really ripped into him to the point where I started cringing and feeling bad for the guy. Poor Mario.

Also...

Terotrous posted...
If you enjoy stuff like Larry the Cable Guy and King of the Hill, that's cool, but no one seriously believes their writing is as sharp as on something like Arrested Development

Equating King of the Hill with Larry the Cable Guy? The writing on King of the Hill is top notch. Easily on the level of the early Simpsons seasons, which were also critically acclaimed (Fun Fact: Conan O'Brien himself did writing for the early seasons of the Simpsons. This was back when the show was actually funny). I don't understand how you can write King of the Hill off as "lowbrow" unless you don't really watch it at all. Or did you just assume that since the main character of KotH is from the south, it must be typical hillbilly/redneck trash humor like Larry the Cable Guy?
---
http://i.minus.com/ibp9Bzm3C6GkKv.gif
http://i.minus.com/iolofTBhyw6bQ.gif
#34ToastyOnePosted 6/27/2013 2:02:03 AM
WeAllAsked4This posted...
Is it just me or did the that guy who voiced Mario look like his eyes got watery?

http://i.imgur.com/cgKYren.png

Conan really ripped into him to the point where I started cringing and feeling bad for the guy. Poor Mario.

That was tough to watch. Poor Charles was doing great fan service and inadvertently opened the door for Conan to rip him a new one. Oh well, at least he was a good sport.
---
AMD X2 6000+ | GTX550 Ti | ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 | 4GB DDR2 | AM2 Daughterboard | NEC 20WMGX2
#35SSJMewzardPosted 6/27/2013 2:44:53 AM
Terotrous posted...
That being said, one thing that always rubs me the wrong way about Conan is that he strikes me as very fake. He always has these gaming segments, but he pretty clearly doesn't have a lot of interest in games and is only really doing it to pander to his audience. That's why hearing someone make a lame, tired joke like "wow, there are actually pretty women at this show" just makes me want to turn off his video immediately. There are loads of women playing games now. Anyone who, you know, has any interest in gaming would know that.

...Way to miss the damn joke. The segment is called Clueless Gamer. The whole point about the skit is that he isn't a gamer and is playing/"reviewing" games. Reviewing the games as a person who has little experience/interest in games is the end goal of the skit. It was a conscious decision to do so. Any jokes about shock of seeing women at a gaming convention would fall under the "Clueless Gamer" role he's playing (i.e. people who know nothing of video games might assume it's either a child's thing or something only boys do, because some people think that way). I know explaining the joke tends to kill it, but that was too hard to resist pointing out.

The irony of arguing intellectual comedy only to miss the blatantly obvious in your rant is not lost on me (and hopefully not lost on you).
---
Why?
#36Gogo726Posted 6/27/2013 3:03:50 AM
Sit perfectly still. Only I may dance.
---
Jackass Thompson doesn't approve of Wii Music. He's on a crusade to put an end to sax and violins in games
#37TerotrousPosted 6/27/2013 6:41:36 AM(edited)
_Falstaff posted...
First of all, it helps to know that comedy relies on the unexpected or shocking.

That is very true and one of the main reasons I think you can claim that safe comedy is objectively less funny than more clever comedy.

If you can always tell what the punchline is going to be before it gets there (particularly if you can come up with the "bad" punchline and are really hoping they have a better one), that quickly gets lame.

Comedy is more subjective than people realize. Comedy is mostly, if not completely, cultural. This is why it's often difficult to translate jokes across cultures.

This is true but I think you overestimate its impact. This ties back into what you wrote above: Comedy is often based around playing with or subverting the audience's expectations. Culture ties into this because your culture affects your expectations in some cases. For example, in Japan, humour often revolves around having people break social rules and conventions, which are very different in Japan vs North America. However, there are other types of comedy, like physical comedy or understatement, which are pretty universal.

A good example of comedy not being totally cultural is the show Corner Gas. It's set in a rural town in western Canada, which should have a target audience of approximately no one. However, the show was very highly rated not only across Canada but also in the US, largely due to clever and subtle writing which actually translates pretty well anywhere.

Long story short, you need a pretty good argument to claim that the quality of comedy can be judged objectively, because most current psychological research disagrees.

I think the virtually universal agreement that the Simpsons was once an extremely high quality show and then got significantly worse is a good indication that there is some degree of objectivity to comedy. This consensus is simply way too widespread to be dismissed as coincidence, and it transcends pretty much all cultural barriers as well.

WeAllAsked4This posted...
(Fun Fact: Conan O'Brien himself did writing for the early seasons of the Simpsons. This was back when the show was actually funny).

Fun fact - I already brought that up twice.

I don't understand how you can write King of the Hill off as "lowbrow" unless you don't really watch it at all. Or did you just assume that since the main character of KotH is from the south, it must be typical hillbilly/redneck trash humor like Larry the Cable Guy?

Because I've watched it a fair bit and never found it to be especially clever. It has its moments, but they're usually tied to good delivery or voice acting more than writing.

Also, keep in mind the show is made by the same guy as Beavis and Butthead, which is not usually considered to be highbrow comedy, though I will acknowledge that King of the Hill is slightly deeper and Beavis and Butthead was probably a better example.

And even Larry the Cable Guy has his moments. He did a good job as Mater in Cars.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#38TerotrousPosted 6/27/2013 6:34:58 AM(edited)
SSJMewzard posted...
...Way to miss the damn joke. The segment is called Clueless Gamer. The whole point about the skit is that he isn't a gamer and is playing/"reviewing" games. Reviewing the games as a person who has little experience/interest in games is the end goal of the skit. It was a conscious decision to do so. Any jokes about shock of seeing women at a gaming convention would fall under the "Clueless Gamer" role he's playing (i.e. people who know nothing of video games might assume it's either a child's thing or something only boys do, because some people think that way). I know explaining the joke tends to kill it, but that was too hard to resist pointing out.

The problem is that no aspect of these segments seems even remotely self-aware. If the point was to, say, lampoon the fact that most gaming journalists don't have any gaming credentials and are totally unqualified to discuss games, you'd expect more subtle jabs at the nature of reviewing games and such. But I've yet to see any. It's always just "come bring your new game and have Conan play it and we'll all laugh at how much he sucks!"

The truth is that generally to parody someone ignorant, you actually have to be knowledgeable, so you can highlight the knowledge that these people don't have. Rather than being some kind of parody I'm pretty sure the term "clueless gamer" is just a moment of transparency from an otherwise lame segment.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#39Kuebel33Posted 6/27/2013 6:49:32 AM
Terotrous posted...
You know, I give this guy credit for his work on early Simpsons episodes, but I haven't found anything else he has ever done to be funny in the slightest. Why some people are so enthralled by him completely baffles me.

Stewart and Colbert walk all over him as far as late night comedy is concerned.

Your comment is an oxy moron. His humor is the same as the stuff he wrote for the Simpsons...
---
Wii U: kuebel33 - Wii: 8877 3660 6443 4949 - XboxLive, psn, & Steam: DirtiestQBizzy
3DS: Q : 2449-4627-4540 | playing: Gears3, ZombiU, Blops 2, NSMBU
#40ClarifinatiousPosted 6/27/2013 7:08:08 AM
Terotrous posted...
SSJMewzard posted...

The problem is that no aspect of these segments seems even remotely self-aware. If the point was to, say, lampoon the fact that most gaming journalists don't have any gaming credentials and are totally unqualified to discuss games, you'd expect more subtle jabs at the nature of reviewing games and such. But I've yet to see any. It's always just "come bring your new game and have Conan play it and we'll all laugh at how much he sucks!"

The truth is that generally to parody someone ignorant, you actually have to be knowledgeable, so you can highlight the knowledge that these people don't have. Rather than being some kind of parody I'm pretty sure the term "clueless gamer" is just a moment of transparency from an otherwise lame segment.

Dude, get over yourself. Conan is genuine which is what makes his comedy and 'Clueless Gamer' segments so entertaining and hilarious. Your opinion about comedy is the same as mine, but you are rude.
---
googler : How has Nintendo won?
geneticsftw : It's outselling ps4 and xbone
June 9th, 2013