whata transfers from the Wii to the WiiU?

#1PrettyBoyMarthPosted 6/27/2013 8:32:59 PM
I was never contemplating getting a WiiU because I never played my Wii except for a Smash and Fire Emblem. I also noticed I have several virtual console games on my Wii, can I put those on my WiiU?
---
Wind Waker >>> Ocarina of Time. People who agree: 478
#2Luigi4PresidentPosted 6/27/2013 8:35:08 PM
All VC games and save data will go to your Wii U once you transfer. You can play this VC games on Wii mode on your Wii U, although you can update them to the Wii U version (save states, GamePad use, etc.) when they come onto the eShop for a fee of $1 for NES titles and $1.50 for SNES titles. Other titles have not been announced yet.
---
Everytime I find the key to success, somebody changes the locks.
#3PrettyBoyMarth(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2013 8:41:28 PM
so I have to pay a fee to play games I already bought? Wow, I'm assuming people raged when this was first announced.
---
#4metroidman92Posted 6/27/2013 8:49:29 PM
PrettyBoyMarth posted...
so I have to pay a fee to play games I already bought? Wow, I'm assuming people raged when this was first announced.

From what I can tell, you can pay for additional features exclusive to the WiiU. The guy above just said you can transfer for free. Meaning you get your entire library back.

Unlike the Xbox Live arcade...
---
Xbox One: It's Good to Pay Together.
Politics... how tiresome.
#5Luigi4PresidentPosted 6/27/2013 8:49:58 PM
PrettyBoyMarth posted...

Not really. You can still play them for free on the Wii console mode. It's just the same minus GCN controller usage. Also, the GamePad off-TV screen play along with restore points really make it worth it for someone like me. I think the thing to rage about would be that you can only upgrade when the games come out onto the Wii U eShop, but that's just me. Some people still are upset over it, but you can still play for free so it doesn't really matter. Just make sure you have a Classic Controller or WiiMote for your VC titles if you do transfer and don't upgrade.
---
#6PrettyBoyMarth(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2013 9:08:41 PM
oh ok, but all Wii accessories and controllers work on WiiU too right?
---
#7Luigi4PresidentPosted 6/28/2013 7:49:48 AM
PrettyBoyMarth posted...

Yes! The only thing that doesn't work is Gamecube stuff because there are no ports for it on the Wii U system. Some games require that your Wiimote has Wii Motion Plus (like some Nintendo Land games, and some Wii games like Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resort). However, the newer Wiimotes usually have this pre-installed if you don't have it already. Just something to remember is all.
---
#8Ryan SiPosted 6/28/2013 8:23:50 AM
I didn't think third-party VC games or any online-enabled Wii games were transferable....is this not the case?
---
Currently Playing: Pikmin 2 (Wii), Pandora's Tower (Wii), Super Meat Boy (PC)
#9NovaLevossidaPosted 6/28/2013 8:28:04 AM
PrettyBoyMarth posted...

The reverse of this is also a problem. You can't use the Wii U Pro controller on Wii discs, for example, even though the Wii U Pro controller is an input option for the Wii U itself and is functionally identical to the old classic controller. I imagine, but can't confirm, that you could only use the Wii U Pro controller on VC titles that have been updated to the Wii U VC version and that you can't use that controller on the not upgraded Wii VC versions.

This is what I hate about Nintendo. You need a goddamn manual to figure out how some of this stuff works, and it's not like it's cutting edge technology either.
---
Sig under construction.