If Nintendo wins this gen, what will be their leg up on Sony and Microsoft?

#1iKhanicPosted 6/29/2013 3:24:31 PM
The Nintendo systems that were the most successful had a key leg up on their competitors.

The NES and SNES both locked down exclusivity with 3rd parties and featured very strong controller design.

The Wii was the system to successfully implement motion controls and reach out to a wider audience.

What will Nintendo's leg up be for this generation?

I'm honestly starting to think that Nintendo could run away with the best indie support. Look at all the kickstarters that want to get on the Wii U? And according to #1 on this article, Nintendo has very good terms for indie devs: http://cidergame.tumblr.com/post/54006730731/5-reasons-why-nintendo-made-a-believer-out-of-me

Right now the market is looking like most innovation will come from indie devs, so if Nintendo can run away with the best indie support, that could be their leg up.

Note that the leg-up can't be games. Games are what keep Nintendo consoles selling decently, they don't allow the consoles to win the gen.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board
#2BoomerTheGreatPosted 6/29/2013 3:32:54 PM
Off-TV play maybe and the gamepad. I think the gamepad could entice the PC market to port games and it could entice 3rd party exclusives. I dont care about console wars. It's all about entertainment.
---
Greatness comes from within
#3FayeLadyPosted 6/29/2013 3:44:20 PM
I would say price if they are able to drop it fast enough. You can still get a few used games with a Wii U before you have spent as much as you would have for a PS4. The trick to this is it only works well if the support is cut from the PS3 and 360 which have that same advantage over the Wii U.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#4MilesTeg420Posted 6/29/2013 3:48:14 PM
FayeLady posted...
I would say price if they are able to drop it fast enough. You can still get a few used games with a Wii U before you have spent as much as you would have for a PS4. The trick to this is it only works well if the support is cut from the PS3 and 360 which have that same advantage over the Wii U.

360/PS3 are a serious problem for Wii U. They are getting tons of cross gen stuff this year and next year, not to mention GTAV in September.
#5thundercat2600Posted 6/29/2013 3:57:48 PM
Resistive touch screen controls. The revolution has begun.
---
Nintendo stock the day before Wii U was announced: 26,500
Nintendo stock today: 9,200
#6BodyisreggiePosted 6/29/2013 3:59:27 PM
Zelda Wii u
#7iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2013 4:38:57 PM
thundercat2600 posted...
Resistive touch screen controls. The revolution has begun.

I don't really think the Gamepad has the selling power of motion controls. The Wii is the only console I've ever bought at launch, and it wasn't for Twilight Princess. It was for motion controls. The Gamepad never really had that must have aspect for me.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board
#8TalesRevenantPosted 6/29/2013 4:56:04 PM
They won't win.

They will lose, like they have been since N64. Sales don't matter to me, or should to any gamer. It's about the games, quality, and the offerings. A Nintendo console has always been a companion console to me since PlayStation arrived in the 90s. I'm more a Nintendo fan than Sony, but Sony's systems offer more.

I don't understand why anyone but a fanboy would argue this.

Anyway, PS4 will win, then Xbox One, then Wii U. Assuming Xbox One kicks off the right way, if not then for once Nintendo will come in second.
---
Currently playing:
Parasite Eve, Fire Emblem: Awakening
#9NyyarkPosted 6/29/2013 5:07:59 PM
Price.
#10P-APEPosted 6/29/2013 5:09:38 PM
Explain to me sony kiddo, why does the PS4 win?