If Nintendo wins this gen, what will be their leg up on Sony and Microsoft?

#21Dr_FacerPosted 6/29/2013 8:04:57 PM
wombatkidd posted...
iKhanic posted...
But when someone refers to "Win" in a console race, they are referring to sales. And yes, sales should matter. If you care want the company who's games and consoles you like to stay in the race, you should care about how successful they are.

Sales != success. Profitability does. Nintendo is the most profitable game company. They're going to be in the race long after Sony and Microsoft drop out, no matter how well the Wii U does.

I do agree they'll continue making games for a long while, but I'm almost sure the Wii U will be their last home console.
#22baconcow1812Posted 6/29/2013 8:13:52 PM
Why does everyone look at the Wii U as a full competitor to the PS4 and Xbox One? I look at those consoles competing more with a PC and the upcoming Steam Box since they will have far more games in common. The Wii U is a console made to compliment a PC or other PC-based console.
---
"the hell!?"
#23JKatarnPosted 6/29/2013 10:44:22 PM
iKhanic posted...
The Nintendo systems that were the most successful had a key leg up on their competitors.

The NES and SNES both locked down exclusivity with 3rd parties and featured very strong controller design.

The Wii was the system to successfully implement motion controls and reach out to a wider audience.

What will Nintendo's leg up be for this generation?

I'm honestly starting to think that Nintendo could run away with the best indie support. Look at all the kickstarters that want to get on the Wii U? And according to #1 on this article, Nintendo has very good terms for indie devs: http://cidergame.tumblr.com/post/54006730731/5-reasons-why-nintendo-made-a-believer-out-of-me

Right now the market is looking like most innovation will come from indie devs, so if Nintendo can run away with the best indie support, that could be their leg up.

Note that the leg-up can't be games. Games are what keep Nintendo consoles selling decently,they don't allow the consoles to win the gen.

Except what the proposed indie support would bring to the table would supposedly be unique exclusive games, which are the whole reason you buy a game console in the first place. Nobody buys a console because "Oh, GarageGamesExplosion likes this console, I think I'll buy it", they buy the console that has the games they want to play. Also, while Indie support is all well and good, I'd imagine a large portion of the games will likely be available in other formats/on other stores as well, and there's already a healthy indie market on the PC, XBLA, PSN and to a lesser extent the 3DS e-Shop, so it's not like consumers lack for choices in that department. Quality first-party games, and unique AAA exclusives will lead to more consoles sales. I think most hardcore gamers want to see what Nintendo first parties can do with their favorite series given the greatly increased technical headroom provided by the Wii-U.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#24imameliaPosted 6/29/2013 10:55:59 PM
AstralFrost posted...
Casuals have now moved on and Sony and MS consoles cater better to pretty much everyone other than diehard Nintendo fanboys.

...and people who like the types of games that are all but exclusive to Nintendo? I know of only one platformer on the PS3, one on the PS4, and none at all on the Xbox 360 or Xbox One (the original Xbox at least got some cross-platform stuff like Crash Bandicoot 4). And that's not even distinguishing between 2D and 3D ones. And one could argue that PC distribution services like Steam cater even better to everyone.
#25ShankspearePosted 6/29/2013 10:56:38 PM
AstralFrost posted...
iKhanic posted...
TalesRevanant posted...
They won't win.

They will lose, like they have been since N64. Sales don't matter to me, or should to any gamer. It's about the games, quality, and the offerings. A Nintendo console has always been a companion console to me since PlayStation arrived in the 90s. I'm more a Nintendo fan than Sony, but Sony's systems offer more.

I don't understand why anyone but a fanboy would argue this.

Anyway, PS4 will win, then Xbox One, then Wii U. Assuming Xbox One kicks off the right way, if not then for once Nintendo will come in second.

But when someone refers to "Win" in a console race, they are referring to sales. And yes, sales should matter. If you care want the company who's games and consoles you like to stay in the race, you should care about how successful they are.

Wii won the generation in terms of units sold but in terms of quality of games it lost terribly. The reason it sold a lot was because it had lots of shovelware directed at casuals like IOS devices have now. The only difference is that casuals now want to spend $1 for their shovelware games not the full prices Nintendo wants to charge. Motion controls were a gimmick that everyone thought was interesting, the gamepad is a gimmick that people think is interesting too... shame everyone who wanted it already got an ipad.

So what's left? An overpriced and underpowered console with a gimmick that was already done better elsewhere, and shovelware games for the casuals who aren't buying the system anyway.

Casuals have now moved on and Sony and MS consoles cater better to pretty much everyone other than diehard Nintendo fanboys.

The quality issue is completely subjective and I disagree with you. If you said wii had less of the popular games last generation, I would could see why you would say that. However, since the most popular games of last generation were exclusive to Wii, I still disagree.
#26sonicfanaticjtbPosted 6/29/2013 10:58:16 PM
TalesRevanant posted...
They won't win.

They will lose, like they have been since N64. Sales don't matter to me, or should to any gamer. It's about the games, quality, and the offerings. A Nintendo console has always been a companion console to me since PlayStation arrived in the 90s. I'm more a Nintendo fan than Sony, but Sony's systems offer more.

I don't understand why anyone but a fanboy would argue this.

Anyway, PS4 will win, then Xbox One, then Wii U. Assuming Xbox One kicks off the right way, if not then for once Nintendo will come in second.

I could say that Nintendo's been winning since they entered the gaming market since it's the company that offers the most kinds of games that I enjoy. But, that'd be wrong since they clearly lost the the 64 and gamecube gens.

It's all fine and good if you feel that Sony ultimately offers more to you than Nintendo, but as far as the console wars are concerned, anything except for sales is all a matter of opinion.

No matter how much you like or dislike a company, the company that wins the war is the one that outsells their competitors.
---
Krystal and Phoenix Wright for Smash 4!
... Please, Sakurai?
#27metalmariolordPosted 6/30/2013 2:21:01 PM
Gonna say that again

Nintendo motion controls=casual gimmick
Sony Motion controls= hardcore innovation

Nintendo Wii U gamepad=casual gimmick
Sony Ps4 + PSvita as a gamepad= Hardcore innovation.

I'll never understand people...
---
Do you judge games by graphics and not gameplay?Only like realistic games?
GO PLAY REAL LIFE!