Can you start every game with the Pro controller? Can you keep the tablet off?

#1NovaLevossidaPosted 6/29/2013 4:51:03 PM
Anyway, a few quick questions. I can't really test the first one out since the only game I have for the Wii U right now is NSMBU.

#1. I can start NSMBU with the Pro controller and don't need the tablet, but the icon I clicked on was next to a similar icon for the Zelda series. Is this specific to NSMBU since it has an icon up on the startup display, or can I start every disc in the system with only the Pro controller?

#2. Can you configure the system somehow to not turn on the tablet controller if you're starting the system via the Pro controller? It's kind of unnecessary to have to go through turning the tablet off every time you want to play a game that you won't be using the tablet on.

Thanks.
---
Sig under construction.
#2TransdudePosted 6/29/2013 4:56:50 PM
To turn off the tablet, what you have to do is:

1. Turn on the console
2.When you see the Wii U logo, hold down the power button on the gamepad
3. The gamepad should turn off and you can now play your console without the gamepad

Note that some games will have a pop-up saying that it needs to have the gamepad on to play the game.
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | NNID: Transdude1996 | Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996
#3NovaLevossida(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2013 4:59:48 PM
Transdude posted...

1. Turn on the console
3. The gamepad should turn off and you can now play your console without the gamepad

Note that some games will have a pop-up saying that it needs to have the gamepad on to play the game.

^ Thanks for that. As for launching the games though, am I only seeing the option to launch what's in the system because it's part of the Mario community icon, or can I launch every game that supports the Pro controller via the Pro controller?
---
Sig under construction.
#4picanoPosted 6/29/2013 6:05:03 PM
There's some button on the controller (probably X, same on gamepad) that allows you to swap the home menu screens --- allowing you to click anything with an icon on the grid, including the disc channel.
#5NovaLevossida(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 4:29:41 AM
picano posted...
There's some button on the controller (probably X, same on gamepad) that allows you to swap the home menu screens --- allowing you to click anything with an icon on the grid, including the disc channel.

^ That worked. Thanks a bunch.

Now, is there any way I can bypass having to turn the tablet on at all and having to turn it off later? I'm not opposed to using it in games that make use of it, but for NSMBU and later on Smash Brothers, I'd like to just not have to use that at all if I'm not going to be playing the game on it. Powering it down during startup is easier than turning the tablet off after the fact, but it's one more controller to deal with than I should have to.

Thanks if you guys know a way.
---
Sig under construction.
#6DeathSoul2000Posted 6/30/2013 6:05:40 AM
NovaLevossida posted...
picano posted...

^ That worked. Thanks a bunch.

Now, is there any way I can bypass having to turn the tablet on at all and having to turn it off later? I'm not opposed to using it in games that make use of it, but for NSMBU and later on Smash Brothers, I'd like to just not have to use that at all if I'm not going to be playing the game on it. Powering it down during startup is easier than turning the tablet off after the fact, but it's one more controller to deal with than I should have to.

Thanks if you guys know a way.

just power on the console with the gamepad at the other end of the house. or failing that, stuff it in a secure box and close it so the signal can't get through. or the last option is to remove the battery.
#7NovaLevossida(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 7:03:00 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
just power on the console with the gamepad at the other end of the house. or failing that, stuff it in a secure box and close it so the signal can't get through. or the last option is to remove the battery.

You know, it didn't really dawn on me that I don't care if the battery runs down or not until I read your post. So, yeah, it'd be nice to conserve battery life by having an option in the menus to not have the thing to power on at all, but it's more or less something I don't care about in retrospect (it just means that I'd have to charge the controller if I'm going to get on the eShop or something). Thanks again.
---
Sig under construction.
#8Maximo37Posted 7/1/2013 4:23:47 AM
Transdude posted...

1. Turn on the console

THANK YOU!!

I recently bought the pro-controller for the NSMBU/NSLU update... And up until reading this post assumed you had to leave the gamepad "ON"... I knew how to shut the screen off using the HOME menu, but that still left the power on, draining (albeit slowly) the battery life... I tried shutting the gamepad off at the WiiU power up screen, as suggested above... And BINGO! It worked! Thank you again for saving what little battery life is available on the current game pads...
---
What a horrible night to have a curse...
#9JustaGamer2_0Posted 7/2/2013 11:09:21 AM
I just have my gamepad out of reach of the system. Am using the pro controller only right now to turn on the system, start up NSMB/Luigi and play. Is kinda nice.