Should Mario Party U be a DLC series?

#1FISSIONMAILEDGFPosted 6/29/2013 4:19:09 PM
Please hear me out before taking out the pitchforks haha. I absolutely love Mario Party, but it's a really expensive gaming series to try to keep up with. Sometimes, the games are practically just the precursors engine with very few changes, while still charging full retail price for the new game. (Examples are 2 pretty much being 1 with a lot of balance changes but using a lot of reskinned games from 1, though I absolutely love 2 and it's probably my favorite. Same goes for 7 from 6 though 7 was bad and I really enjoyed 6) And other times the games are just plain awful (5 and 8 come to mind, ugh)

I'm really looking forward to what the new Mario Party game can do (Nintendo land has shown us amazing possibilities for the game pad) and here's where I think a DLC path could really add a lot of value to the game. Release the first Wii U game as a stand alone game at full price, have it be really awesome with great boards, interesting gimmicks and fun mini games. Then in 6 months- a year, release a DLC add on like Luigi U where it's cheaper if you already own the game, and also stand alone retail for a bit more. Have this DLC add all 3-4 new boards, maybe 20-25 new games and new characters. None of the tiny DLC, just these big bundles.

I feel like if it's implemented in the right way DLC can add a ton of value to a game while still saving the consumer from having to buy all new games. A lot of devs unfortunately have planned DLC where content from the game that's already finished is locked out, I wouldn't want this DLC. I also wouldn't want tons of little micro transactions that end up costing a ton over time. I've seen DLC done right (like in Sleeping Dogs or Mass Effect where it's reasonably priced and it adds story and fun game play to the series) or even in Burnout Paradise where Criterion gave years of huge free DLC to Burnout Paradise. I just wanted to see your guy's thoughts on this.
---
PSN ID FISSIONMAILEDGF Xbox Live FISSIONMAILED43
http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?&owner=FISSIONMAILEDGF&
#2iKhanicPosted 6/29/2013 4:27:18 PM
YES! Mario Party is one of Nintendo's few franchises that most critics and fans agree has declined dramatically since it's origins.

Nintendo needs to put all their resources into a new Mario Party game for Wii U, and then just maintain it with DLC. Hire Konami to put their Hudson Soft devs to co-develop the game.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board
#3Nostalgia_3Posted 6/29/2013 4:32:45 PM
Honestly, yes. Make it more in the style of Mario Party 2 or 3, and just keep consistently adding new minigames and (possibly) boards as DLC.
#4Sharky8Posted 6/29/2013 4:36:41 PM
Pointless topic.
People talking about things they don't understand.

The Mario Party franchise sells very well. That's WHY they make a new game every year. Until the Nintendo fanbase changes, disc copies released every year that keep selling well will be the way Nintendo goes.
#5iKhanicPosted 6/29/2013 4:53:24 PM
Sharky8 posted...
Pointless topic.
People talking about things they don't understand.

The Mario Party franchise sells very well. That's WHY they make a new game every year. Until the Nintendo fanbase changes, disc copies released every year that keep selling well will be the way Nintendo goes.

But it's stopped releasing every year. Since 2007 we've only had 2 Mario Party games come out, and the next one is coming out on 3DS.

I'm sure even you agree that the series has declined in quality. Why not just make it a DLC series?
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board