Should I put my Games in the Wii U?

#1coolguy_23Posted 6/29/2013 11:05:29 PM
So I have SSBB and NSMBW, And they both have very little scratches, but gets DRE's all the time on my Wii (Not sure how this happened). If I were to put it in my Wii U ,will the system read the discs better, or will they mess up the Wii U?

Sorry if this sounds crazy, but I am a bit paranoid on this.
#2overmaxxPosted 6/29/2013 11:33:43 PM
They can't mess up anything, unless you throw them really hard from a really high window and they happen to land on someone's head.
---
3DS: 2122 - 5984 - 7063
Animal Crossing is pretty chill.
#3usaamahlinkPosted 6/30/2013 2:01:02 AM
Most likely your Wii's disk drive laser lens is scratched. In that case your physical discs are piece cult done, just your Wii is having trouble reading them. They should be perfectly fine in your Wii U, and they probably won't mess anything up.
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger, The Last Story, Vandal Hearts, Zelda-ALttP, Xenoblade Chronicles, Age of Empires II - The Conquerors. SSB Brawl <-(always)
#4selfdeztructionPosted 7/3/2013 6:55:20 AM
coolguy_23 posted...
So I have SSBB and NSMBW, And they both have very little scratches, but gets DRE's all the time on my Wii (Not sure how this happened). If I were to put it in my Wii U ,will the system read the discs better, or will they mess up the Wii U?

Sorry if this sounds crazy, but I am a bit paranoid on this.

The only instances that disks can hurt a player or system is if the disk is damaged/cracked and could break pieces off while being read, the disk is dirty, dusty, oily or has other debris on it that could get spun off and damage the lens or other components.

All of these are easily avoidable and scratches don't hurt anything (other than the disks) as long as they aren't cracks.
---
XBL/PSN (PS3&vita)/Wii-U/Skype-selfdeztruction
Wii FC(HaVoK) 6605 3315 8599 4345 3DSXL FC(HaVoK) 3780 9281 5652 I'm no fanboy,I'm a dirty whore.OKC gamer
#5InfamouslyNycePosted 7/3/2013 7:07:41 AM
This is probably what's happening with your Wii as it happened with mine.

The discs have no problems, even with surface scratches, and will not hurt a console at all.

The laser lens in your Wii is probably dirty. I've had this happen multiple times, first time I had to send it to Nintendo. After that, they released the home cleaning kit you can get on your website.

Other than that, the reason the Wii will read other games as opposed to those two is because those games are Dual Layer DVDs. Meaning there are two layers of data per disc, if the lens is dirty and the disc is scratched it cannot read the second layer of data efficiently, therefore resulting in a DRE.
---
Nintendo Network ID: Inf4mous
#6fon1988Posted 7/3/2013 7:16:09 AM
overmaxx posted...
They can't mess up anything, unless you throw them really hard from a really high window and they happen to land on someone's head.

Me too.
---
NNID: PoisonShroom
#7LordBowserPosted 7/3/2013 8:34:56 AM(edited)
I had this happen on 3 different consoles, one of them being my Wii. It's an issue with the lens. Send it into Nintendo for repairs, and frankly I suggest you do this before they discontinue such services. Not that it will be anytime soon, but the longer you put it off, the bigger the chances are you will be too late.

Funny, in my case, it started acting up the week before Brawl came out. I sent it first class and practically begged them to fix it before the game came out. Wii came back the day before SSBB and I had an amazing time.

Another one was my second dreamcast (first one had controller ports blow... no idea why), I never bothered replacing/repairing it.

Lastly, my first gamecube had disc read errors and I ended up buying a second gamecube rather than getting it repaired.

Either way, it's an issue with the system, not the disc.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!