Hirozaku Ando / Jun Ishikawa < Koji Kondo

Kirby's backgrounds > Mario's backgrounds
Kirby's artstyle > Mario's artstyle

Kirby dreamland > Super Mario bros.
Kirby dreamland 2 > Lost levels
Kirby dreamland 3 <<< Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario 64 >> Crystal Shards
Air Ride > Double Dash

Kirby's Return to Dreamland >>> entirety of the New Super Mario Bros. series with the exception of New Super Luigi U

Even the Kirby fanbase is better.

I could mention more. I could talk about how an HD version of Canvas Curse with orchestrated music and bonus features would have made for a better launch game than New Super Mario Bros. U while properly showing how the gamepad can be used for gaming (it would have sold less than Mario though). But there is no need.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#2lgiPosted 6/30/2013 1:42:58 PM
What Kirby fanbase?
#3GloryChaos(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 1:45:30 PM
lgi posted...
What Kirby fanbase?

The ones who are too busy making amazing art, wallpaper, and fan CD remixes to post on message boards about how their series hasn't tried to be innovative since the N64.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#4lgiPosted 6/30/2013 1:46:36 PM
GloryChaos posted...
lgi posted...
What Kirby fanbase?

The ones who are too busy making amazing art, wallpaper, and fan CD remixes to post on message boards about how their series hasn't tried to be innovative since the N64.

They had Kirby Yarn recently, right? How was that? A pure Kirby game though, you think they'll take the chance?
#5chaomaster4000Posted 6/30/2013 1:57:25 PM(edited)
I think you'd be hard pushed to argue that Air Ride > Double Dash. Air Ride had one fantastic idea but with only one city map and a limited number of machines (which are imbalanced enough to render some entirely useless - excluding the Hydra and Dragoon which beat everything full stop, I seem to remember Swerve Star beats out almost anything else in a racing event). Double Dash's karts may have handled like shopping trolleys at times but the then-new special weapons, inventive tracks and legendary music all make for a far more complete racing experience. Air Ride's straight-up racing mode didn't even have any structure like cups or tournaments or anything.

In terms of everything else, I'm inclined to agree with you though. I tend to enjoy Kirby sidescrolling platformers more than I do Mario ones, and Canvas Curse (well, Power Paintbrush as we know it here) is one of my favourite games ever.
---
"Hey! Where's MY alien donkey?"
#6picanoPosted 6/30/2013 1:56:41 PM
lgi posted...
GloryChaos posted...
lgi posted...
What Kirby fanbase?

They had Kirby Yarn recently, right? How was that? A pure Kirby game though, you think they'll take the chance?

Return to Dreamland was more recent than Epic Yarn --- and that was in the traditional style. My fiancee, a couple friends and spent a few Fridays 100%'ing it.
#7justcause2wPosted 6/30/2013 1:57:45 PM
you forgot

Kirby Super Star >>>> Super Mario World
#8diggyfreshPosted 6/30/2013 3:45:04 PM
Ya Kirby gets overshadowed by Mario. It's too bad cuz Kirby is great.
---
CURRENTLY PLAYING:: Metroid Prime Trilogy
PROGRESS:: MP1 @ 70%
#9The_Shadow_LinkPosted 6/30/2013 3:56:57 PM
The only thing I would say Mario has over Kirby is more sport spin offs and the 3D Games. Oh, the next 3D game is a HD Sequel to the 3DS Game few people cared about? Alright, all Mario has is the sport spin offs then.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#10Zero280Posted 6/30/2013 3:59:45 PM
lgi posted...
GloryChaos posted...
lgi posted...
What Kirby fanbase?

Kirby's Epic Yarn was pretty meh however they nailed it with Kirby's Return To Dreamland.
---
3DS Friend Code 5069-3942-1786