Purchase Gamepad Controller Separately....?

#1BigBOO2UPosted 6/30/2013 2:14:08 PM
Has Nintendo made any mention of when or if the Gamepad controllers will be able to be purchased separately?
#2Virus66Posted 6/30/2013 2:22:34 PM
They will sell them at stores when there is a need for a second one. Until then, if you need a replacement, you can get them directly from Nintendo
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
I'm a living contradiction. I own a PS3 and a Wii U. A 3DS and a Vita. And the catch to that? I enjoy them all!
#3MwulfPosted 6/30/2013 2:39:55 PM
Probably never, as a $150 peripheral sitting on the shelf next to a $350 console kind of looks bad.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#4BigBOO2U(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 2:40:40 PM
Virus66 posted...
They will sell them at stores when there is a need for a second one.

Hmmmm...

With rumors circulating of a Gamepad-Free cheaper Wii-U version coming soon to compete with the PS4 and Xbox One, and the fact that not a single one of Nintendo's premiere titles on display at E3 made any worthwhile use of the controller, I'd say that there may NEVER be a need for a second one.

Too bad.
#5MwulfPosted 6/30/2013 2:41:36 PM
That rumor makes about as much sense as the new 3DS model with only one screen, or the new Wii model that doesn't use motion controls.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#6wombatkiddPosted 6/30/2013 2:42:48 PM
BigBOO2U posted...
Virus66 posted...

Hmmmm...

With rumors circulating of a Gamepad-Free cheaper Wii-U version coming soon to compete with the PS4 and Xbox One, and the fact that not a single one of Nintendo's premiere titles on display at E3 made any worthwhile use of the controller, I'd say that there may NEVER be a need for a second one.

Too bad.

Didn't watch the developer directs I take it.
---
---
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
#7BigBOO2U(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 2:57:58 PM
wombatkidd posted...
BigBOO2U posted...
Virus66 posted...

Hmmmm...

Too bad.

Didn't watch the developer directs I take it.

Correct. Definitely not that interested. But...I don't consider a horn and some simplistic menus a relevant use of the controller.

Kinda like this guy here:
http://techland.time.com/2013/06/14/even-nintendo-is-stumped-by-the-wii-u-gamepad/
#8GDoobahPosted 6/30/2013 3:05:03 PM(edited)
I don't consider a horn and some simplistic menus a relevant use of the controller.

I guess you don't own a Wii U.

ZombiU, Nintendo Land, LEGO City, Game & Wario all make great use of the Gamepad. Off-TV play is also great.
---
NNID & PSN : GDoobah
http://i.imgur.com/DzyHcJF.jpg
#9wombatkiddPosted 6/30/2013 3:18:45 PM
BigBOO2U posted...
Correct. Definitely not that interested. But...I don't consider a horn and some simplistic menus a relevant use of the controller.

Kinda like this guy here:
http://techland.time.com/2013/06/14/even-nintendo-is-stumped-by-the-wii-u-gamepad/

Bayonetta 2 can be played completely with the stylus, Wonderful 101's main mechanic is based around drawing on it, Wind Waker has optional gyro controls and virtual buttons just like the 3ds version of OOT, Pikmin puts a strategic map on the gamepad, Mario Kart Wii can be controlled by the gamepad's motion controls as an option, and places a map and some other stuff down there. In Mario 3D world the gamepad can be used to reveal hidden items and stall enemies and moving platforms.

The only games we don't have anything on what the Gamepad does for them are DKCTF, since gamepad features weren't implemented in the demo build, and SSB for Wii U, since they haven't talked about them yet. (We know almost nothing about the game at all at this point.)

As an aside, I love the attitude people have about this. When Wii didn't give options for people who didn't want to use motion controls it was "I'd play this game if they gave you the option to not use motion controls," when they DO give people the the option to not use the new features it's "the gamepad's useless because they're giving you other control options anyway."

Nintendo: doing everything wrong, no matter what they do!
---
---
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
#10BigBOO2U(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 3:34:19 PM
wombatkidd posted...
Mario Kart Wii can be controlled by the gamepad's motion controls as an option, and places a map and some other stuff down there. In Mario 3D world the gamepad can be used to reveal hidden items and stall enemies and moving platforms.

Nintendo: doing everything wrong, no matter what they do!

To the earlier post, no, I don't own a Wii U. Yet. There hasn't been a single game I have been interested in since launch. I knew that the big guns were not going to start coming out until this fall (Super Mario World 3D) or next spring (Mario Kart 8.) Now I am interested in getting a Wii U because of those, and was curious about the Gamepad situation.

To the quoted post, what you have mentioned as Gamepad use for MK8 or Mario 3D is the silliness I was speaking of. Completely useless game additions instead of new ground-breaking gameplay. There are games that use the Gamepad in a creative way, but you can just about count them on one hand, and nothing new under the sun seems to be coming anytime soon.

It is indeed a case of Nintendo repeating the same mistakes they made with the Wii and its motion controls. Sure, the Wii sold 100 million units, but customers do learn from a corporation's errors, and lightning doesn't seem to be striking twice for them with the Wii U because of those mistakes.