Purchase Gamepad Controller Separately....?

#11wombatkiddPosted 6/30/2013 2:41:41 PM
BigBOO2U posted...
To the quoted post, what you have mentioned as Gamepad use for MK8 or Mario 3D is the silliness I was speaking of. Completely useless game additions instead of new ground-breaking gameplay. There are games that use the Gamepad in a creative way, but you can just about count them on one hand, and nothing new under the sun seems to be coming anytime soon.

It is indeed a case of Nintendo repeating the same mistakes they made with the Wii and its motion controls. Sure, the Wii sold 100 million units, but customers do learn from a corporation's errors, and lightning doesn't seem to be striking twice for them with the Wii U because of those mistakes.

Mario Kart 8: Are you kidding me? It uses the motion controls the same way the wiimote does, but clearing hud elements off the main screen is one of the main draws for having the gamepad in the first place.

Mario 3D world. You should proably wait until the game comes out before you decide it's useless. I could see them building a level with the expectation that you'll stop platforms with the gamepad.

But again, see my earlier post. With the Wii it was "why didn't you give us other control options?" And now it's "why would you give us other control options?"
---
---
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
#12MwulfPosted 6/30/2013 3:40:06 PM
wombatkidd posted...
Mario Kart Wii can be controlled by the gamepad's motion controls as an option, and places a map and some other stuff down there. In Mario 3D world the gamepad can be used to reveal hidden items and stall enemies and moving platforms.

Nintendo: doing everything wrong, no matter what they do!

To the earlier post, no, I don't own a Wii U. Yet. There hasn't been a single game I have been interested in since launch. I knew that the big guns were not going to start coming out until this fall (Super Mario World 3D) or next spring (Mario Kart 8.) Now I am interested in getting a Wii U because of those, and was curious about the Gamepad situation.

To the quoted post, what you have mentioned as Gamepad use for MK8 or Mario 3D is the silliness I was speaking of. Completely useless game additions instead of new ground-breaking gameplay. There are games that use the Gamepad in a creative way, but you can just about count them on one hand, and nothing new under the sun seems to be coming anytime soon.

It is indeed a case of Nintendo repeating the same mistakes they made with the Wii and its motion controls. Sure, the Wii sold 100 million units, but customers do learn from a corporation's errors, and lightning doesn't seem to be striking twice for them with the Wii U because of those mistakes.

To be perfectly fair, the gamepad is one of those things that seems really pointless and stupid... and then you get your hands on it and it's really cool. In theory, it's just like the DS bottom screen, but in practice, developers are doing a lot more with it than they ever did with the DS/3DS. The whole "giant handheld" functionality is pretty awesome, too. If the WiiU VC ever gets going, it'll be more than worth the price of admission to just be able to sit in bed playing SNES games on the gamepad alone.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#13iKhanicPosted 6/30/2013 3:47:54 PM
Well, the Wii U has support for 2 Gamepads. I'm sure Nintendo will make them available at some point.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board